Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT PPP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me. Im looking to buy a forester 2.5XT (manual) in the UK, i found one I liked on the subaru website from a main dealer and ive put down a deposit. I am due to pay the balance for the car in 48hours but only just realised that althought it was first registered March 2006 it is a pre facelift model.

This means its the engine with around 210bhp (not 230hp) in the facelift model. Is the engine basically the same except for an ecu change? I dont know whether to back out and lose my deposit and get a facelift model.

I read one bit of worrying text on here, is there any truth in this or is it crap?
Thanks all,
Steve

Watch out for the 211 hp model!

The 2.5XT in the above picture (before facelift) had 211hp horsepower and most of the cars imported here had severe engine problems (mainly crankshaft bearings as a local in-the-know Subie salesman has told me).
The newer edition (introduced six months later, below picture) had 230-something hps and no engine problems.

The newer edition has revised suspension settings that make it understeer less and dive a little more around corners according to a local (fast) journalist.

At least in Greece, the 2.5XT with the older exterior had 211hps and the engine problems - I do not know about other countries editions. After six months of poor reliability they replaced the engine with the 230hps and the revised exterior-suspension before they made a bad name (small market here for the 2.5XT).

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
55 Posts
Depending on the deposit i would probably back out. I am always weary of things that say "severe problems"... I have also learned not to settle on things (i learned that the hard way)

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
160 Posts
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me. Im looking to buy a forester 2.5XT (manual) in the UK, i found one I liked on the subaru website from a main dealer and ive put down a deposit. I am due to pay the balance for the car in 48hours but only just realised that althought it was first registered March 2006 it is a pre facelift model.

This means its the engine with around 210bhp (not 230hp) in the facelift model. Is the engine basically the same except for an ecu change? I dont know whether to back out and lose my deposit and get a facelift model.

I read one bit of worrying text on here, is there any truth in this or is it crap?
Thanks all,
Steve

Watch out for the 211 hp model!

The 2.5XT in the above picture (before facelift) had 211hp horsepower and most of the cars imported here had severe engine problems (mainly crankshaft bearings as a local in-the-know Subie salesman has told me).
The newer edition (introduced six months later, below picture) had 230-something hps and no engine problems.

The newer edition has revised suspension settings that make it understeer less and dive a little more around corners according to a local (fast) journalist.

At least in Greece, the 2.5XT with the older exterior had 211hps and the engine problems - I do not know about other countries editions. After six months of poor reliability they replaced the engine with the 230hps and the revised exterior-suspension before they made a bad name (small market here for the 2.5XT).
By pre facelift you mean the 2003 - 2005 model years? I'm a bit confused, didn't you at least look at picture, check out the VIN number, ask for maintenance records before you put down a deposit? Most importantly was it advertised as a 2006?

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT PPP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, It was manufactured 2005, it was registered 2006.

Are there known problems and reasons not to buy a 2005 2.5xt is what I am asking? Its pre facelift which means its not got the indicators in the wing mirrors or the revised front bumpers or the 230 engine (its the 210hp)

It would be churlish to back out from a straight and good car on the claims of one forum poster .

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
160 Posts
According to consumer reports on a scale from 1 - 5, 1 being worse, 3 average and 5 best the 2005 xt was given an overall better then average reliability rating of 4 but for major engine problems it was given a below average rating of 2, it listed "engine cooling" and "water pump" as the common problem with the model. Hope that helps with your decision.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
They have slightly different engines. The "pre facelift" as you call it has an ej255(same as STI shortblock). The "post facelift" has an ej257 (same as WRX 2.5L shortblock), the "post facelift" has higher compression pistons (hence the hp bump). engine differences Your "local in the know salesman" (don't know why you would listen to a salesman) doesn't know what he is talking about what so ever. All of the 2.5L sti's have the same ej255 shortblock, so if his reasoning were true all sti's would have these catastrophic bearing problem. Lastly why can't you just say the model years for god sake, you are only confusing every one? I would revise your buying process, it's amazing how no one does any research until the money is spent. Then all of the sudden they turn into a modern Sherlock Holmes.s

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT PPP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the advice and help.

I dont particularly appreciate the told you so guidance on my purchasing when you dont know anything about my situation, e.g. living in 1 country and buying in another 'unseen' and so on , with the option to back out etc etc.

Anyway, thanks for the help, it is appreciated and I have made a decision.

best regards,
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts