1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Uppipe Install

UPDATE:

I have installed an OEM STI Uppipe in my 04 FXT.
Everything went smoothly...I followed Peaty's guide on Scoobymods.
I did take his hint to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold as well jacking the engine. The uppipe slid right out.

Interesting Run-ins during the procedure:

I noticed since I owned the car the the turbo's heat shield was
missing so I was assuming some mods were done previously.
Upon removing the plastic engine shield from below, I notice that the
bottom flange of the uppipe was missing 1 of the 2 bolts!!!!! :chair:
Also, upon removing my old uppipe, I noticed that the uppipe had been
previously gutted!!! :confused: Anyway, I installed the STI uppipe.
Luckily, I only managed to shear one of the downpipe's turbo-side
through-bolts. I replaced the sheard bolt and the missing bolt.
Did the resistor mod.

I am receiving a used oem catless sti uppipe today.
I am leaving for a trip on wednesday and wanted to replace the stock catted uppipe on my 04 fxt before the trip because i keep getting a CEL 546 for the EGT sensor. I dont want my cat to tear up my turbo on the trip because it will be a total of 28 hours driving time.

Where is the fastest place to order the gaskets for the uppipe/downpipe.

Also, I know i need new gaskets for the uppipe...
but do i need new gaskets for the downpipe?

Is there anything else I should know about this installation?

Thanks, Josh

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
The fastest place is your local Subaru dealer. If you don't have one, try Jackie at Annapolis Subaru, one of the vendors here, aka Subarupartsgirl.

I would recommend a new gasket for any exhaust peice you remove. Best way to insure against leaks, and cheap insurance.

Anything else you need to know? Be comfortable with the work required here and make sure you have the right tools, or you will be cursing and bleeding. It isn't a terrible install, but unless you have experience it will be a challenge. Make sure if you jack the engine that the engine is firmly supported with a good bottle jack, or you could have terrible problems. Read up, there are some good installs around there and on Scoobymods. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
IAG performance usually stocks that stuff. Jackie @ annapolis as well as grimmspeed more than likely do. all 3 are site vendors

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Located some at a dealer 3 hours away...
luckily my dad lives there and is headed this way tom.

Subaru parts manager at that dealership said the removal of the downpipe is not necessary.
He also let my dad hold on to the dealership's official shop manual for an 04 fxt for the weekend!!!???

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
Congrats on a smooth install. That's nuts about the missing bolt and the gutted UP! How crazy, I wonder what else has been done on your car. I also wonder how, if the resistor mod wasn't done but the UP was gutted, you didn't get a CEL.

Well enjoy the new mod.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on a smooth install. That's nuts about the missing bolt and the gutted UP! How crazy, I wonder what else has been done on your car. I also wonder how, if the resistor mod wasn't done but the UP was gutted, you didn't get a CEL.

Well enjoy the new mod.
Well the gutted up still had the EGT sensor installed and connected.
I was receiving a CEL code 546 every now and then, most always on the interstate with cruise on, which seemed weird to me.
This CEL worried me and prompted me to replace the factory uppipe in fear that the disintegrating cat would tear up my turbo. Only to find out that there was no cat because it was gutted.

I have not been on the interstate with cruise yet after the resistor mod. I will in a lil bit and post results.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats the only performance mod so far.

i do have a Rockford Fosgate P3 10" sub in a custom ported box
and an Alpine MRP-m450 400 watt RMS amp which sounds great!

im planning on...

wheels and tires
front and rear sway bars
downpipe
AP tuning

hopefully within the next 2 months

1 - 10 of 10 Posts