Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums whoop whoop, just inherited my dads 2000 forester. One of the speakers is blown and I am trying to upgrade (thoroughly) the whole sound system. Does anyone have any suggestions for a head unit and speakers?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT SportShift
1,231 Posts
It will depend on your budget. I don't have much experience with the brands but these are the things you will need.

Head unit - double din? or single din? smart phone integration?
Speakers and crossover/tweeters
sub woofer
amplifiers to drive the sub, speakers etc.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
150 Posts
I've upgraded my speakers to JL audio C2 coaxials. Big improvement in sound. Next step for me to upgrade the head unit to a kenwood double din with NAV.
I've seen most owners install shallow mount Polk speakers. You'll still need to make spacers but not as thick as non-thin mounts.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Manual
12 Posts
I have just replaced the Subaru 6 disc unit with a Sony XAV-601bt double din

Bluetooth, iPod, USB and cd/DVD. Easy install and very impressed with how it looks and sounds

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium Automatic
83 Posts
Work in progress, but so far have installed:

Alpine ICS-X7HD
JL Audio C5-650 components
JL Audio C2-650 coaxials
JL Audio JX360/4 four channel amplifier
JL Audio JX250/1 subwoofer amplifier
All JL Audio wiring, RCAs, fuses (even the battery terminals)

Using a 12W7 right now, but it's just laughing at the 200 watts from the subwoofer amp. Looking at the new 10W1V3 or the shallow mount 10TW3.

But those amps work perfectly in the Forester. No headlight dimming at all, and gets way louder than anyone can tolerate for long. Highly recommend this setup, or something similar, to anyone looking for an upgrade.

·
Banned
2013 2.5x auto
268 Posts
Are you in Berkeley mass?
Welcome and congrats on the Subaru!
Well like mentioned before what budget you have in mind will direct the path needed for this upgrade. New door speakers would be a good first step, so there aren't any blown ones in the mix. A set of infinity, rockford fosgate, or alpine will fix that. Second a new radio, more power, cleaner sound. Alpine,pioneer, and Sony have good radios available. Make sure to get one with at least subwoofer red and white RCA outs on the back. Third, a woofer and amp. In a forester 200-500 watts rms is good. (How much bass do you like?) I have always used alpine and rockford. One single 10 or 12 would be plenty. Ported box is good for rap/dubstep with how loud and low it will be. Sealed boxs are good for metal and tight clean bass. Sound Martin in the doors will help with road noise and to direct the sound from the door speakers to you, not outside.

But again, what's the budget and timeline?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts