Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Forester Touring in spring 2018. This winter I have not been impressed with the headlights or the fog lights. Both headlights and fog lights were far better on my old 2003 Legacy station wagon which I owned from new. Subaru don't offer any impoved headlights - is there anything out there I can buy to just replace and upgrade the bulbs on either or both set of lights? having been a loyal Subaru customer for 22 years, so far I have been disappointed with the Forester and may get rid of it within the year and move, very reluctantly, to another manufacturer.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
2018 Touring spec has LED Projectors. Most people really like. There is no replacement. Perhaps dealer can look at checking the aiming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
I'm not sure what you would be seeking to improve? They are among the better headlights tested by IIHS.

Were the LED's not available in Canada spec touring models?

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
Canadian Touring is mid-spec, like American Premium.

Fog light is easy, replace the H16 bulb with xenondepot's H11 xtreme led pro, night and day difference.

Headlight is much more difficult, and there is really no good drop in option. White LED is okay in fog, but very harsh on the eye during night driving especially in snow.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
First of all, your fog lamps should only ever be used in thick, heavy fog. If they're on at any other time all they are doing is putting excess light where it isn't helping you see down the road, that extra light bounces back closing your pupil and actually hurting your night vision by reducing the amount of light that can reach your retinas.

Your fog lamps are not driving lamps.

That said you could try to source some OEM LED lamps or do a full retrofit on your existing incandescent lamp housings.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re fog lights - my 2003 Legacy station wagon had what I thought were fog lights, low down, and they worked very well as extra lighting out in the country where there were no street lamps. On the 2018 Forester the fog lights don't seem to help at all. Maybe I'm comparing chalk with cheese.

·
Foz Addict
1118 2.5 Premium& XT tour Quadraphenia Electromatic & the CVT
124 Posts
My fog lamps on the 11 light up a small patch about 4 feet in front of the car. I've even blocked off the headlights to confirm it. I've had "real" fog lamps on other cars that work, so it's both an aim and strength problem with at least the 11. I had my local mechanic show me how to adjust them up (helps some).

According to them, the bulbs are 9006's. are the H11's a direct replacement plug & play, or is there something else? (Sorry if that sounds dumb.)

The 18 touring, OTOH... It lights up the night like a freaking stage... almost like having a swath of daylight. Not sure how I'd improve on that - maybe a bar of tuned spotlights or something, but I have no complaints about the illumination the US spec turbo touring's have... Would I like more? Of course, I ALWAYS want more light; living in the land of deer, bear, coyote, and cougar who seem to prefer using the highways over game trails, seeing them beats whapping them with the grille, and getting elk hair stuck in the intercooler...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts