Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've done some searching but haven't been able to find an answer to my question. I know someone must've done this before. I recently acquired power, heated front seats for my 2011 Forester and want to replace my currently manual, non-heated seats. I do not have the all-weather package. Has anyone done a write-up. I assume the heated seats are not all plug and play? But are the power options? What wiring do I need to make sure I acquire.

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
453 Posts
You will need the heated seat switches in the console.

I would take apart the console, and remove a seat and poke around the carpet. It may very well be wired for everything already. Most Subaru's of that vintage have 1 body harness wired for every option so the can be dealer or port installed. Less part numbers and options is easier to manufacture.

Usually only things like nav/no nav or kicker sub/regular audio actually require different harnesses.

My 2005 base model is 100% wired already for heated seats, there are wires and connectors just there. Same for foglights and other easy options.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
975 Posts
I've got a 2015 base model and recently had a loaner with the heated seats and am thinking about retrofitting just the heater elements and switches to mine. Was going to buy the winter option to get this, heated outside mirrors and wiper windshield resting spots but had to buy package with bunch of gadget crap I didn't want. Anyone done this to 2015?

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay so... Good news and bad news. As I'm sure most of you know the heated seats are not plug and play. I figured this much based on what I've read. Good news is I was able to pull heated and power seats and that cars' entire wire harness from a junkyard car. I've unwrapped everything and have been able to trace all the wires to where they connect to the plugs. Power seats seem very easy. Just a ground and find a power source. Power I think is the white cable in my fingers in the picture below. I was going to use an add a fuse for the power seats. Seems like an easy solution with almost no negative repercussions in this application. The heated element of the seats I'm a bit more of a challenged... I'm not sure about the relay cables. They connect to a plug in the passenger side kicker panel. If I was to transfer these cable pins to the plug in my car is there a wire from that plug in my car to connect to a relay? Also can I transfer the power pin? If not I was think of just doing another add a fuse for the power.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just an update. I was able to install the power driver's seat and the heated seats for both driver and passenger. Having the wire harness for the inside of the car helped quite a bit. I was able to take the power wire for the drivers seat and pop the pin into the plug already in my car. The bulkhead wiring harness already had the wire for the power seats. Same went for the heated seats I just plugged the pin in and installed a relay and I had power. Grounding was the hardest part just because there were so many of them. A ground for the each of the heated seats, heated seat switch, power seat and a ground for the heated seat illumination light. I spliced those along a wire and grounded them to GRND 5 if you want to look it up in the Service Manual.

Power seat works great.

Heated seats I've never had before so I not sure if they are working properly. On High they heat up then seem to cool down before heating up again. Is this normal?
Also the red illumination light for the heated seat switch will work properly for a while when I turn my lights on but each side eventually starts flickering before ceasing to work. I checked my wiring all the connections and splices are solid. Could the wire be pinched somewhere? Or could the LED just be dieing?

Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So heated seats seem to be working normally. But the heated seat switch red illumination lights blink sporadically. What could be causing this? My connections and wiring have been triple checked. Is it common for these lights to flash when they are on their way out. Can I replace the lights or do I have to buy a new switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
454 Posts
I can only say it's normal for the seat heaters to cycle on and off like in 10 minute cycle I believe. Good luck with your other issues. Definitely a worthwhile addition!

·
Registered
2017 Outback
125 Posts
I used this kit to add heated rear seats to my 2015 Forester. It's all plug and play except for the power wire and I used an Add-a-Circuit like the one pictured above. It's not a difficult add-on to do in a few hours. There are plenty of videos to walk you through the upholstery removal, etc. I used zip ties instead of hog rings; they're super easy to work with.

If you buy new seats with heaters there are vendors on ebay who sell prewired generic harnesses. They already have the relay wired in.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D2LIRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kōbai-iro;7520147 said:
I can only say it's normal for the seat heaters to cycle on and off like in 10 minute cycle I believe. Good luck with your other issues. Definitely a worthwhile addition!
Thanks for the reply. Heated seats are cycling properly.

I used this kit to add heated rear seats to my 2015 Forester. It's all plug and play except for the power wire and I used an Add-a-Circuit like the one pictured above. It's not a difficult add-on to do in a few hours. There are plenty of videos to walk you through the upholstery removal, etc. I used zip ties instead of hog rings; they're super easy to work with.

If you buy new seats with heaters there are vendors on ebay who sell prewired generic harnesses. They already have the relay wired in.

That's a neat kit. I don't have any plans to install heated rear seats I never have that many passengers. As for the front I was able to wire them using the stock switch and wire harness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts