Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the brakes on my XT but I want to keep the 16" wheels. Any suggestions on calipers, rotors and sslines? The rally people run 16" wheels, what calipers do they run? All the "big brake" units need 17" or larger wheels.

On the old forum, there we a lot of suggestions, please let me know which combinations work best.:confused:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
I think the Subaru 4-pots fit under 16" wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
pleiad7 said:
I think the Subaru 4-pots fit under 16" wheels.
HMMM.....

pleiad7....um, how sure/confident are you about that? I was hoping that it would be so, but wasn't sure, since the stock 06 WRXs (4pots no?) now come with 17"s right? just wondering out loud

·
Registered
62 Posts
Standard Forester wheels are 16 x 6.5 and will not allow 4 pots. Late Impreza Classic 16 inch are 7 width and (in US) are found on 1998/99 RS. These will clear 4 pots with 294mm or 305mm disc and the 5 spoke alloys with notch at the join to rim are the ones to look for. However the offset is wrong for Forester (48+) Impreza (53+) and you will have clearance problem on rear struts unless you keep 215 width tyres - the fronts should be OK. One solution is extended wheel studs and spacers - I used 8mm spacer - but you may just get away with existing wheel studs and 5 mm spacer provided you do not go too wide with the tyres. I know that some people frown on spacers but with 16 inch wheels your options are limited unless you can find aftermarket wheel in 48+ offset and 4 pot clearance - I do not know of any offhand. I am UK based but I believe several owners in US happily run the RS wheels at 53+ offset - a very small difference - no spacers and no problems. Of course many others move to 17 inch wheels to better facilitate the brake upgrade - I did just that myself finding that the steering feel was much improved with 17 inch compared with 16 inch wheels.

Chris M.
London - UK

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
CHESTON said:
HMMM.....

pleiad7....um, how sure/confident are you about that? I was hoping that it would be so, but wasn't sure, since the stock 06 WRXs (4pots no?) now come with 17"s right? just wondering out loud
Well, I should clarify... they fit under SOME 16" wheels (as long as they're at least 7" wide). See scoobymods for details.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reference to eman - apologies if Wilwoods fit 6.5 rims - I have AP Racing 4 pots designed for 16 inch wheels and these definitely need a 7 inch rim. Incidentally the recommendation for spacers is only to correct the offset and not to create any additional room for 4 pot calipers. I am presently running 17 x 7 UK Impreza 2003 5 spoke wheels at 55+ offset but with 8 mm spacers and properly engineered extended wheel studs. Reason - I just love these Impreza wheels (mine are silver).

Chris M.
London

Attachments

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
racingbrake has a kit (I think it's about $1000) designed to fit under 16" wheels. The guys at AZP use it on their race car, FWIW.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Keep stock front brakes with upgraded pads and lines with slotted rotors if you deem them needed. Upgrade the rear brakes to the legacy rear brakes with bigger rotor, steel lines and performance pads. That setup should work fine with the stock wheels and offer good performance. If you're not upgrading the wheels and tires your limiting factor may be the tires not the brakes for braking power.

sbake said:
I want to upgrade the brakes on my XT but I want to keep the 16" wheels. Any suggestions on calipers, rotors and sslines? The rally people run 16" wheels, what calipers do they run? All the "big brake" units need 17" or larger wheels.

On the old forum, there we a lot of suggestions, please let me know which combinations work best.:confused:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Forester N/A X Upgrade

What would it take & cost to upgrade a 2003 X drum to disk?

Is it worth it?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Forgot to say about the AP Racing 4 Pot set up - to fit 16 inch wheel. These brakes are great for road use. Nice progressive pedal and good feel - exactly how Subaru should have done in the first place. With UK spec Forester we have rear discs (rotors) as standard and no need to touch these with 305mm (or 294mm) on front. The AP kit is expensive - I guess will be $2200+ in US - but its a quality product and you definitely feel much safer than with the OEM product. Add some decent tyres and go enjoy.

Chris M.
London UK

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replys

To all who replied, Thanks!
Sorry I didn't get to reply to each, I was traveling today and not able to log on. I will keep you posted on which direction I go.:grin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Scoobysport KAD BBK does fit under the stock 16x6.5 +48et wheels that comes on the FXT. I have the kit on my car currently with the stockers. I made a post about this on the prior site but it doesn't appear that it got cached by google.

Here is an duplicate post I made up over at Nasioc. LINK

·
Registered
62 Posts
I must say that I feel somewhat miffed. This is a UK kit and my UK Subaru dealer recommended (off the record) that I use the AP Racing BBK and Classic Impreza wheels to stay within 16 inch. Clearly the KAD/AP disc (rotor) is identical so the KAD caliper package must be more compact. I am pleased with the AP Racing brakes but I sold off my OEM 16 inch wheels and almost new Eagle F1s at a knock down price. OK - I have since converted to 17 inch wheels but I would have liked the choice - and saved some money. £1600 BBK and £1200 17 inch wheels/tyres. Thats $5000+. Or maybe the KAD kit does not fit the earlier 5 spoke alloys - mine is a 1999 S Turbo.

Chris M. (Poor Man)
London

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the information

Tanj! said:
The Scoobysport KAD BBK does fit under the stock 16x6.5 +48et wheels that comes on the FXT. I have the kit on my car currently with the stockers. I made a post about this on the prior site but it doesn't appear that it got cached by google.

Here is an duplicate post I made up over at Nasioc. LINK
Thanks for the link!
:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
sbake. Since you're in dallas I'm sure we can find a local TXIC member who has a new 06 WRX. We can do a quick test fit of the OE Forester wheel on their car to confirm if the Subaru 4pots fit. If they do that should basically confirm that ALL (AP, Brembo, Stoptech, Wilwood, etc) the 4 pot setups available should fit under the stock Forester wheel. I'll put a post up at TXIC looking for a volunteer car.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK,
After researching everything (I mean it too). I have decided (at this point) to put on Frozen Rotors front and back, stainless lines and green pads. I will bleed and replace the fluid with Super Blue (I have a Motive bleeder already full of the stuff). I thought long and hard about 4 and 6 pot calipers, but this car is driven on the street. I really don't plan to autocross it (not soon, anyway). Next upgrade will be the chip, Y pipe and exhaust.
Thank you to everyone who posted a reply, I researched them all and all were valid ways to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
jevans said:
Otherwise just upgrade the lines and pads, and do the ever popular H6 solid rear rotor upgrade, or try to snag the vented rears off a 05+ Legacy GT or Outback.
I would like more info on this rear upgrade. Can I just order the rear rotors and caliper brackets from an '05 LGT and bolt them on or do you need the whole caliper? Are the H6 and LGT rear rotors the same diameter?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts