Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
In a few months, I will be getting a 2006 Forester X, and while it's a lovely car, with way more power than my old Honda CRV, I'm interested in upgrading to an XT. I have done some research, and most of it is about upgrading an in-place turbo, not adding one. How much would this cost, and would a dealership be willing/able to do this upgrade, or would it be something I have to do myself?

Thanks for any info,
Antonius

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Hello, welcome.

This question comes up pretty often. Simple answer is, no, there is no way to turbo-charge a non-turbo Forester. It can be done, but is extremely expensive and the engine isn't designed for it. "Right" way to do it is to ether swap the engine, or sell the X and buy an XT.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the startlingly quick reply. I should have figured as much. I guess I'll probably see what upgrades I can do with what I've got, then.

Antonius

Also, I completely overlooked the motor conversion forum, sorry.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,792 Posts
Hello all,
In a few months, I will be getting a 2006 Forester X, and while it's a lovely car, with way more power than my old Honda CRV, I'm interested in upgrading to an XT. I have done some research, and most of it is about upgrading an in-place turbo, not adding one. How much would this cost, and would a dealership be willing/able to do this upgrade, or would it be something I have to do myself?

Thanks for any info,
Antonius
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

As you can see from my signature, my '03X (now my son's) was upgraded to a turbo. :wink:

Take a look at this & this thread for the answer to your questions. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2006 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those links, and of course the welcome. The AVO turbo kit looks intriguing, but would definitely be something I would have to do down the road. In my research, I found stuff like exhaust pipes etc that were labelled as being for the XT. Besides the engine, is the rest of the XT the same as the X?

Thanks,
Antonius

·
Administrator
39,792 Posts
To be honest, I still like the '03X with the AVO turbo kit better, but I had to move on to be able to do more. :smile:

The exhaust will be different at the engine, but should be the same after the CAT. If you're looking for a sweet sounding exhaust, try a Magnaflow axle back. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
If you're serious, look into putting down $5-6k for a total engine swap + merging harnesses + any extra bolt ons you want to play with.

XT exhausts are different from the NA exhausts. Notably, we're talking downpipe vs no downpipe, respectively. So cat positions are different as well. XT has larger diameter piping, though 06+ is better off than 03-05 since the routing and size is closer to the XT. XT engines are also DOHC, NAs are SOHC. Semi-closed deck vs open deck. Different heads (NA is obviously higher compression). The list goes on.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks both for the replies. Exhaust sound is definitely something I would like to enhance. Would some place like Midas be able to do the swap for the Magnaflow or similar?

Antonius

·
Administrator
39,792 Posts
^^ From what my muffer guy said, the Magnaflow is one he always has in stock. I'd guess any good muffler shop could do the job for you. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts