Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Linertronic CVT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my new Forester 2.0XT com with standard mirror and I intend to upgrade it with an OEM Subaru option auto-dimming mirror with compass.
My question is does my Forester 2.0 XT already have standby wire under the overhead console box as mention in the auto-dimming installation instruction guide that I can plug and play, or I have to purchase the wire adapter seperatelly (if Subaru have this part).
My forester is for Asian market (Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cambodia) so any Forester owner from Asian market have experienced about this upgrading part?

Thanks for reading,
Tommy

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
109 Posts
http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/70674/pdf/070674-h501ssg000.pdf

The above link is the install instructions for the autodim mirror with compass. It shows where the wiring is located to connect up to. I'm not sure about non-USDM vehicles but I know the US versions are plug and play for the mirror. You can dig in and make sure you have the connector there but I'd bet money that you do.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
164 Posts
it is plug and play. when you buy the autodimming mirror with compass it comes with a wire harness. you just need to unscrew the overhead console, and under that is an existing wire harness that you just plug it into. the hardest part is feeding the wire through to the front windshield afterwards. good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks All, actually I have not received my Forester yet from dealer, but I would like to order this upgraded part (auto-dimming mirror) in advance,
I will keep you posted when I received my Forester, will open the overhead console and take some photo to see if there is wiring harness standby as mention in the installation instruction
Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT - EyeSight
664 Posts
Thanks All, actually I have not received my Forester yet from dealer, but I would like to order this upgraded part (auto-dimming mirror) in advance,
I will keep you posted when I received my Forester, will open the overhead console and take some photo to see if there is wiring harness standby as mention in the installation instruction
Thanks,
Tommy
I might be selling mine because I want to upgrade to homelink mirror... if you want I can sell to you..

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,984 Posts
The compas is a total waste of time and effort.
The auto-dimming is nice, but I agree on the compass part. Now if the readout was in degrees instead of just eight Cardinal points ...

I feel the same about my new Garmin Nuvi; the old Quest gave me degrees but the new one reports just the eight points.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS Auto
47 Posts
it is plug and play. when you buy the autodimming mirror with compass it comes with a wire harness. you just need to unscrew the overhead console, and under that is an existing wire harness that you just plug it into. the hardest part is feeding the wire through to the front windshield afterwards. good luck.
is also true for an '05 XS?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT + EyeSight
38 Posts
The compas is a total waste of time and effort.
My wife is completely directionally challenged. She is actually looking forward to knowing what direction she's going in once we get the new mirror installed.

For me, the useful part of the upgrade is the HomeLink garage door opener. I do not wish to sully my brand new Subie with a clip-on clicker which will crease the visor.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, sorry for keeping you waiting, yesterday I have removed the overhead console to look the standby wiring harness for auto-dimming mirror as stated in the Subaru technical information sheet.
But I can not find any figures are similar to the technical information sheet.
I have taken some pictures for your view and comment, do they have the adapter for the auto-dimming wires/connection?

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
109 Posts
I haven't personally done the install so I don't know exactly where the harness connection is by personal experience, but I did find this video on a 2012 STI mirror install. Around 4:!5 you'll see where he finds the connector to plug in the wiring harness that comes with the mirror. Maybe this is helpful?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT - EyeSight
664 Posts
Should be something in the far right tucked under.. that's where my mirror connects, it's like under under, you can't even see it unless you pull on it.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5XT AT
43 Posts
I'm in the same region as OP :). Our Subaru cars here are EDM spec. The auto-dimming compass mirror requires an adapter kit, part # H5010SC000. Google and you'll find some sellers in Europe, or better if you could find sellers in the Philippines, HK... I have not bought the adapter, don't know how it looks like :), the mirror has been there in my garage for long time not used :-(. I'm thinking whether to simply use the Prova Wide-View Rear View Mirror instead of this auto-dimming mirror as the digital compass does not work in Asia, I see the settings are for North America only.
By the way, anyone knows if this Prova mirror fits FXT? It's stated to fit WRX/STI.
Prova Wide-View Rear View Mirror Blue Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / STI) 90220IT0021 at RallySportDirect.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Gragonforester for your sharing, so the Forester 2014 for Asian (Vietnam) market definitely doesn't have standby wiring harness for auto dimming mirror like USDM.
Mean I have to find another way to another way to retrofit auto dimming mirror for my car.
Take some photos of the auto dimming mirror wiring posted, hope someone can help me on the diagram or purpose of these wires color, I need wiring for auto dimming function but if the compass can work would be an advantage.
There are 3 wires & 2 wires in 2 pair

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT cvt
56 Posts
Hi guys, I have JDM forester and it too doesn't have plug-n-play harness on the car and I have already bought the mirror but it's been laying in the closet for a while now...
I have been trying to get diagrams for this and no luck.
I also bought the exterior auto dimming mirror with approach light too, I want these things working! We need to tie-up and get some info on this.

·
Registered
2013 Forester CVT
18 Posts
I am trying the same thing in a Swedish Forester. I got a cheap copy of the US workshop manual off ebay and went looking for the US rearview mirror diagram. Here's it is :

You can ignore the two wires going to the side-mirrors (LG+R in the diagram), unless you have dimmed versions of those. The remaining 3 are +12V, ground and reverse-override. I have played around with mirror and a 12V source in the garage. If you connect both the ground wire and the reverse-override wire to ground and apply +12V to the final wire, it works just fine.

What I am not so sure about is where to connect it behind the map-light console. In my car I have a purple wire with constant 12V (connected to fuse 20, I think, along with the other interior lights) and access to a permanent ground and a "dimmed" ground. Does anybody know if the permanent 12V gets cut-off by the cars power-saving feature after 30mins ? In that case it may work as source for the mirror as you could just leave it on and let the car switch it off 30 mins after parking.

/Peter

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT cvt
56 Posts
I am trying the same thing in a Swedish Forester. I got a cheap copy of the US workshop manual off ebay and went looking for the US rearview mirror diagram. Here's it is :

You can ignore the two wires going to the side-mirrors (LG+R in the diagram), unless you have dimmed versions of those. The remaining 3 are +12V, ground and reverse-override. I have played around with mirror and a 12V source in the garage. If you connect both the ground wire and the reverse-override wire to ground and apply +12V to the final wire, it works just fine.

What I am not so sure about is where to connect it behind the map-light console. In my car I have a purple wire with constant 12V (connected to fuse 20, I think, along with the other interior lights) and access to a permanent ground and a "dimmed" ground. Does anybody know if the permanent 12V gets cut-off by the cars power-saving feature after 30mins ? In that case it may work as source for the mirror as you could just leave it on and let the car switch it off 30 mins after parking.

/Peter
Thank you for the diagram!!!
great info!

but my harness from the mirror is like the one tommy has, mostly black colored wires.
like this pic.

so which is which? can you tell me?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2013 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Look very closely at the connector, the numbers 1 and 5 are stamped on it, hard to see though. The colours of the wires are not the same on the car and cable/connector. If I remember correctly the two wires joined together on the adapter are the side mirror wires.

/Peter

1 - 20 of 30 Posts