Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've gone over all the pictures I have, and I will be updating them this weekend starting later in the afternoon. This update will include the head unit install, the amp install, door speaker install, and some other misc stuff.

A reminder of the vehicle.

A 2010 Newport Blue Pearl Subaru Forester premium.

here is a link to part #1
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/update-1-custom-enclosures-63837/

All work was done @ Soundcraft in Waterford Connecticut (more information about the stereo shop is available if you'd like - SoundCraft Car Stereo | Facebook).

A: Headunit. and steering wheels controls adapter.

This was what the stock headunit looked like. Nothing special really.

The stock unit removed.

The same space after the stock unit was removed and the various cables and speaker wires where run to the spot.

This is my Kenwood Excelon kdc-x891 replacement in the after market harness/bracket/adapter.

The new Kenwood connected and iso-mounted to the spot. Love the pocket underneath.

B: Amplifiers.

Driver side before any work was done.(passenger side looks identical)

Passenger side after seat removal and wire (power, speakers, signal) installation. Routed through the center console.

Kenwood Excelon KAC-501 4ch amp. Clean installation (passenger side).

Passenger side amp with kick panel (rear view).

Passenger side amp (front view).

Kenwood Excelon KAC-201 2ch amp (driver side amp) with power, signal and speaker wires/cables. Kenwood KCA-IP500. Kenwood Satellite Tuner KTC-SR901. Kenwood Sirius antenna adapter SCCI (not pictured later addition). Not so clean, sorry.

Driver side amp (rear view).

Driver side amp with kick panel (rear view)

Driver side amp front view.

To be continued on the bottom due to image (per post) limit restrictions.

I will fill these slots in all throughout the weekend.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very nice. I have the X791 and love it. Are you thinking about going with the PAC SWI-JACK steering wheel control? It integrates beautifully with the X791 so it should work great with the X891. $42 at Amazon...well worth it.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
axxman

Yup. Different sku from the same company.

flitwister.

I got an adapter too, works great. Going to keep updating all weekend long. Thanks for the info though, I am sure a couple of peeps are wondering.

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
thanks,

I put mine in today, the adaptor is made by Scosche

not so easy to see from the photo, but it is about 1/8" back, I was hoping to find one that will make it flush. now that it is in though, it doesn't look so bad.

I installed the PAC SWI-JACK as well but I could not get it to work. I followed the directions exactly but when I went to program the buttons, I got no reaction. I probably did not have a good connection on the control wire. I moved on since I had so many other components to install. I will have to mess with it another day when I have more time.

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
sorry for the double post, I wasnt allowed to post photos until I reached 15

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Beautiful pics. Thank you. I've been wanting to see some pics of a single DIN deck in the dash since I decided not to spend the extra cash for the double DIN DVD player. I would have liked the touch-screen, but how ofter do I need to watch a dvd in the car? Never really.

Very nice. I have the X791 and love it. Are you thinking about going with the PAC SWI-JACK steering wheel control? It integrates beautifully with the X791 so it should work great with the X891. $42 at Amazon...well worth it.
I have the X791, that was in my last car but I don't like it at all. I've have about a dozen Kenwood stereos over the last 20 years and this was probably my least favorite. The only reason I even kept it was because I had the credit card sized remote that works with most Kenwoods. I'm planning on putting the Alpine CDA-105 in my Forester and it should look right at home with the red lights. Crutchfield wants way to much for the PAC Swi-jack so I too ordered it from Amazon since I LOVE the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry for the double post, I wasnt allowed to post photos until I reached 15

Hmmm, mine is mounted to the actual frame of the car, not the adapter/harness. That's why it looks flush, or as close to it as possible.

markyh

Why don't you like the X791?

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
actually, after a little research, the very front of the alpine is double din, but it is only the front half inch or so. it gets wider thereafter, so it is not possible to put the frame back far enough for flush mount. I could shave away material but I think I will just leave it the way it is.

did you get the steering wheel adaptor working? or have you not begun to mess with that yet.

I think I can get my amp under one of the seats, I would probably then just have a sub in a removable box in the back, but I am holding off on that until summertime.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually, after a little research, the very front of the alpine is double din, but it is only the front half inch or so. it gets wider thereafter, so it is not possible to put the frame back far enough for flush mount. I could shave away material but I think I will just leave it the way it is.

did you get the steering wheel adaptor working? or have you not begun to mess with that yet.

I think I can get my amp under one of the seats, I would probably then just have a sub in a removable box in the back, but I am holding off on that until summertime.

Yup. Working perfectly since day one (11/17/09). Plugged it in, programed it and it works well. Programing was a bit tricky. I just followed the instructions.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
markyh

Why don't you like the X791?
I don't like how the face goes on the front or how you put the cd's in. It seems kind of "clunky" how it opens/detaches and not well thought out. Once I remembered it had the USB cord I used a flash drive the rest of the time. Have you ever tried to pause a song using the deck and not the remote? It's almost impossible to do it without tracking up or down. You have to push the button in so straight you end up mad. I still may put it in my wife's Accord just for the USB input factor. She's got a 7028 I'm not a big fan of either. I'm also not a fan of the old-time two knob (double shaft) look either. There's a few other minor things that I don't remember right now, but it's not a bad stereo overall. It still has good clean powerful sound for sure.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like how the face goes on the front or how you put the cd's in. It seems kind of "clunky" how it opens/detaches and not well thought out. Once I remembered it had the USB cord I used a flash drive the rest of the time. Have you ever tried to pause a song using the deck and not the remote? It's almost impossible to do it without tracking up or down. You have to push the button in so straight you end up mad. I still may put it in my wife's Accord just for the USB input factor. She's got a 7028 I'm not a big fan of either. I'm also not a fan of the old-time two knob (double shaft) look either. There's a few other minor things that I don't remember right now, but it's not a bad stereo overall. It still has good clean powerful sound for sure.
Time for an admission.

I have only put a CD in the head unit once. I have used my Ipod and Sat radio the whole time. My ipod is connected through the Sat radio tuner, so my USB slot is open. I added the appropriate cable and bam... two connections. But you'll see that in a bit.

The last few cars I've had all had steering controls, so I use those. The only time I use the remote to head unit controls is when I am messing with the sound fields or settings (which I don't do to often). So even though I know what you mean about the controls being awkward, I've never had that problem.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Continued:

All work was done @ Soundcraft in Waterford Connecticut (more information about the stereo shop is available if you'd like - SoundCraft Car Stereo | Facebook).

C: Front door speakers.

Tried some new speakers this time. Last couple have been Infinity Kappas.

JL Audio VR650-CSi VR650-CS 6.5-inch Component System (Pair).

Stock front passenger door w/stock speakers (both sides lok identical).

Front door with dynomat and cross over mounted on the plastic baffle.

The baffle rattled (as was discussed here on the boards), so I solved the problem. I used Dynaliner.

Baffle with Dynaliner.

Baffle with Dynaliner and Crossover on it (wires rerouted).

Slightly visible tweeter behind grill.

I looked but couldn't find a picture of the front doors with the new speaker setup, the dynomating and wiring. Sorry about that, though the front doors at the bottom (near the speaker) look almost identical to the rear and I have pictures of that.

D: Rear door speakers.

The stock rear door speakers were identical to the front in appearance. See previous section for picture of stock setup.

JL Audio VR650-CSi VR650-CS 6.5-inch 2-way System (Pair)

Rer door speakers with Dynomating.

I didn't Dynomat the whole door because I wanted to see what I could get away with. no rattles or hollow sounds with the little that I did use. What I am looking for now it a 09/10 Forester with full dynomating to compare sounds to see if I need to add more.

I will add the last two sections when it stops raining so I can take the pictures.
E: Sirius receiver/antenna, Ipod adapter/plug and USB plug.

Update coming soon.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Prem w/AWP
11 Posts
JL Audio VR650-CSi VR650-CS 6.5-inch Component System (Pair).
Slightly visible tweeter behind grill.
I'm in the middle of installing a pair of JL Audio components myself
are your tweeters installed in the 2009/2010 factory-option tweeter addon? or are they an older model?

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in the middle of installing a pair of JL Audio components myself
are your tweeters installed in the 2009/2010 factory-option tweeter addon? or are they an older model?

Yea, 2010 covers. Came with the car.

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
nice going here! keep them pictures and writeups coming! :)

i envy them modders! :/ 'when i grow up i wanna be like them!

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
E: Sirius receiver/antenna, Ipod adapter/plug and USB plug.

The Ipod plug/adapter and USB plug/adapter.

(I love the placement).

The Sirius/XM antenna/adapter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts