Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning an up-pipe/DP install this weekend. I've looked at and printed out Peaty's install pages from scoobymods.com for both, but any other input or helpful hints are welcome.

How long should this take given I have done plenty of wrenching in my day, just not on a Subaru.

thanks

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I just did a DP install on my XT the past weekend by myself. Peaty's instructions were pretty much right on. make sure u get that liquid wrench on the turbo/DP bolts. I had to put some extra 'oomf' in getting the top two nuts/bolts off the turbo/DP connection, used a long breaker bar to help.

On the install of the DP, i could not get a socket on the bottom middle bolt because of clearance issue with the bigger DP bellmouth. Had to get under the car and use an 14mM open end wrench and torque by feel. Pretty straight forward. have fun!

·
Registered
398 Posts
uppipes take practice... not to scare you, but the first one will take quite a few hours... budget 6-8 hours...

you will have to jack up the engine...

I tried the rotation method that works on the WRX, but it didn't work on the xt... :(

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I would recommend wrapping the DP and possibly the hot side of the turbo before install. It will help w/ radiant heat so that your TMIC stays cooler.

·
Registered
398 Posts
sirwilliam said:
I would recommend wrapping the DP and possibly the hot side of the turbo before install. It will help w/ radiant heat so that your TMIC stays cooler.
Header wrap scares me... :(

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peaty... thanks for the links. I've already looked over the install pages... several times actually, and printed them off as well as each picture link seperately so it was bigger and easier to see. As with all other, I thank you for you contribution to the community.

Dan... Thanks for the warning, but I don't think it will take that long (famous last words :oops: ). I and my helper are experienced wrenchers with several past projects under our belt... just not on Subaru's.

SirWilliam... Not sure which camp to side with on the whole header wrap debate. If funds weren't an issue, I would have the DP and hot side ceramic coated ... :D But, then again, when the temps consistantly hit 100-120 here April through Oct., I don't know if it really matters that much.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DanzBorin said:
SirWilliam...

tell em what my name is...

:lol:
Oooh, oooh, I think I know this one.... Isn't it the up-pipe install King or something? I think I remember Peaty referring to you that way.

I guess I will find out how hard it is and will probably report back that you were right. :)

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
fxtacy said:
DanzBorin said:
SirWilliam...

Oooh, oooh, I think I know this one.... Isn't it the up-pipe install King or something? I think I remember Peaty referring to you that way.

I guess I will find out how hard it is and will probably report back that you were right. :)
No, it is just Rob. :oops:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sirwilliam said:
fxtacy said:
DanzBorin said:
SirWilliam...

:oops: :oops:

·
Registered
398 Posts
fxtacy said:
sirwilliam said:
fxtacy said:
DanzBorin said:
SirWilliam...

:oops: :oops:

he made the same mistake like 20 minutes earlier on nasioc...

I told him that we need to make some kind of "DanzBorin's name is Rob" Public Service announcement... ;)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It helps to put your name in your siggy...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DAMWAGN said:
Wear gloves when removing the heat sheilds!
Yep... sharp edges! I had to take the turbo heat shield off before to adjust the wastegate actuator arm so I know what you're talking about.

I am going to take the intercooler off to allow better access to everything too.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
fxtacy said:
DAMWAGN said:
Wear gloves when removing the heat sheilds!
Yep... sharp edges! I had to take the turbo heat shield off before to adjust the wastegate actuator arm so I know what you're talking about.

I am going to take the intercooler off to allow better access to everything too.
I have actually taken the heat shields off a couple times. I didn't wear gloves and I was fine...maybe I am just lucky? The thing you really have to worry about is heat...yes, let the motor cool down first. :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts