Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

We just purchased our second Forester (a 2006 X, automatic). We have noticed a noise that we never noticed before on our 2003 Forester X, it goes something like this:

It sounds like it's an engine noise, and it sounds a bit like if you were to say "nah-nah-nah-nah...." out loud and rather quickly.

It happens between 40-50 mph, typically after accelerating to a speed between 40-50, then letting off the gas, and giving just a little gas back to keep the speed constant. That's when the noise happens, when giving that little bit of gas to keep the speed constant. If I let off the gas entirely or give it more gas the noise stops.

Is this normal? Or is it something I should have the dealer look at? I never noticed this with the other Forester. Is it possible that this will go away as the car is broken in?

Thanks so much for any help!

-JS

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited High Torque CVT
783 Posts
Hmmm...strange. I would say to let the dealer check it out since whatever it is it should be covered under warranty.

Jackie

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

The car only has 80 miles on it so far, I wonder if I should wait till it's more broken in and see if the noise goes away? Or might I make it worse if I don't take it in right away?

-JS

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took it to the dealer...

Well, I took the Subaru in to the dealer, only one week after purchasing it for the noise mentioned in the earlier post...

It's a bad piston bearing in the engine! Sounds like a rather major repair for a week old car.

Has anyone else had a problem like this with their Subaru, or do I just have bad luck?

-JS

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
Jsalinger said:
Well, I took the Subaru in to the dealer, only one week after purchasing it for the noise mentioned in the earlier post...

It's a bad piston bearing in the engine! Sounds like a rather major repair for a week old car.

Has anyone else had a problem like this with their Subaru, or do I just have bad luck?

-JS
This type of problem is very unusual. But it can happen. I think it would be reasonable to request an complimentary extended warranty.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a very good idea, thank you for the suggestion. This is my second new Subaru and my second major problem. With my 2003 Forester the computer had to be reprogrammed, by being sent back to Japan because of engine stalls! It was out of commission for three days for that one. I'm beginning to wonder a bit about overall quality. Although, I've known many other Subaru owners who have never had one problem with their vehicles, so I'm conflicted.

-JS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts