Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FB25 produces a symphony of clicks, clacks, ticks, whirs and chatter, but at 6,000 miles mine's developed a new rhythmic "tick" that is distinct from the others. It has a subtle vibrational quality and is most pronounced when the engine's warmed-up and under load at 2500-3500 RPM. It comes from the driver's side of the engine compartment and disappears when cruising in higher gears or at idle. Oil level and operating temps have been fine.

A dealer service rep acknowledged the noise on a test run but said it was normal, attributing it to the valve train. To indulge me he did a cursory inspection on the rack but found nothing. As the car's doing nothing unusual otherwise (CELs, reduced power, etc.), I didn't push the issue.

Still, in eight months of mostly city driving I've come to know the engine's noise characteristics pretty well, and this sound's a definite newcomer. Normal with continued break-in, perhaps? Exhaust leak at or near the header? Any ideas, suggestions or comments are appreciated. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
31 Posts
The FB25 produces a symphony of clicks, clacks, ticks, whirs and chatter, but at 6,000 miles mine's developed a new rhythmic "tick" that is distinct from the others. It has a subtle vibrational quality and is most pronounced when the engine's warmed-up and under load at 2500-3500 RPM. It comes from the driver's side of the engine compartment and disappears when cruising in higher gears or at idle. Oil level and operating temps have been fine.

A dealer service rep acknowledged the noise on a test run but said it was normal, attributing it to the valve train. To indulge me he did a cursory inspection on the rack but found nothing. As the car's doing nothing unusual otherwise (CELs, reduced power, etc.), I didn't push the issue.

Still, in eight months of mostly city driving I've come to know the engine's noise characteristics pretty well, and this sound's a definite newcomer. Normal with continued break-in, perhaps? Exhaust leak at or near the header? Any ideas, suggestions or comments are appreciated. :icon_wink:
AC compressor?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts