Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a long weekend trip to Utah to do some climbing in Indian Creek and Joe's Valley. 5 of us squeezed into the Foz - loaded with camping and climbing gear - and made the 8-9 hour drive. We woke up to a great sunrise view of the South Sixshooter, our planned climb for day 3.

South Sixshooter in the distance. The campsites on either side of us were both occupied by Foresters. :icon_razz:

We took off down the road for South Sixshooter, knowing that the rough road forced most climbers to hike 4+ miles of road to the base of the climb. The road was washed out and fairly sketchy in places, but the Foz had no trouble at all! I went as far as this obstacle, parked, and realized the road ended 20' farther anyway.

Five minutes later we realized we were at North Sixshooter, not South...oops, took the wrong fork. :chair: Needless to say, I wasn't complaining about the detour. 45 minutes later, we made it. The summit can be seen behind the Foz.

View from above.

View from the summit...can just barely make out the Foz.

We weren't quite as rushed on the drive back, so we had a chance to get some pictures and video. The video makes the drive seem much more lame than I remember...

YouTube - Rough Road to South Sixshooter

I'm giving some more thought to a 1" lift after this trip, for the sole reason of improving my approach angle. The fact that I had 6 people in the car (we weren't about to take a Civic down the road) didn't help with clearance at all. The only problems I had were in going over wide ruts and dragging the tailpipe. The drive convinced one of my friends to take a serious look at buying a Forester for his next car, over a Tacoma (he would mostly use it as a commuter, but wants something that can handle mild offroading). I had a ton of fun on the trip, and was excited to finally get the Forester offroad.

Last two pictures are of yours truly on some of the fantastic climbs in Utah.

Cheers! :woohoo:​

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No real damage, although the weld to the resonator is starting to pop. The Foz has a bigger bark than she used to! You can just make out the gap at the very top of the right side of the resonator.

Also the front passenger side mud flap (the stupid little one in front of the tire) about got ripped off. I wouldn't have been sad if it had.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Nice!! Now, let's do some planned offroading :biggrin: Can't wait for this stupid weather to wise up and the snow to give way to some dirt :shake: I like those Geos you're rockin'!! :rock:

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice!! Now, let's do some planned offroading :biggrin: Can't wait for this stupid weather to wise up and the snow to give way to some dirt :shake: I like those Geos you're rockin'!! :rock:
^Agreed. This snow needs to melt. So far, the Geos are kicking a**. :banana:

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
Looks like a great time. Thanks for the pics. Going to Utah in July.

Wasn't there room for a grandfather clock and a piano in the back?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Holy cow great pics!!

I'd definitely recommend you take your mudflaps and the little thingies in front of the tires off. You can get those caught on something and rip out your entire inner wheel well. That would not be fun!

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spot another fozzie out there!

looks like a great trip man... beautiful countryside.
The fozzies were EVERYWHERE! 3 in our campground and 2 others at the climbing area, and this is only out of a handful of other cars that we saw in the area.

Holy cow great pics!!

I'd definitely recommend you take your mudflaps and the little thingies in front of the tires off. You can get those caught on something and rip out your entire inner wheel well. That would not be fun!
I hadn't thought of the collateral damage...I think Rally Armor flaps are in my future. I also need to work out a rear sway bar quick disconnect. I got by, but I can see where it'd be useful.

Looks like a great time. Thanks for the pics. Going to Utah in July.

Wasn't there room for a grandfather clock and a piano in the back?
July? I was hot enough in early May! Believe me, if I'd had a grandfather clock to pack, I would have tried to stuff it in. No one even bothers to help me load the car...I have my system which never fails to amaze. Who needs a roof rack anyway? :crazy:

Thanks for all the comments! You all are correct, we did have a ton of fun...and Lenore (my Foz) managed to win over the hearts of all my passengers! :woohoo:

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Hey Jay, what camera?

Oh. And yes. Rally Armor flaps rock. I still haven't managed to bust mine. I think they are the ONLY things I haven't managed to break.....

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Jay, what camera?

Oh. And yes. Rally Armor flaps rock. I still haven't managed to bust mine. I think they are the ONLY things I haven't managed to break.....
Good to know on the flaps. Most of the shots are on a Nikon D300, although a couple are from a point and shoot that a friend was using (not sure what kind), and the trunk shot was from an iphone.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No real damage, although the weld to the resonator is starting to pop. The Foz has a bigger bark than she used to! You can just make out the gap at the very top of the right side of the resonator.

I'm going to have a shop take a look at fixing the weld. They said if the metal is too thin to weld to, they'd have to stick a new resonator on for ~$70. I'm tempted to just try JB Weld orexhaust repair tape, but I know I should just suck it up and fix this right.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
603 Posts
I'm going to have a shop take a look at fixing the weld. They said if the metal is too thin to weld to, they'd have to stick a new resonator on for ~$70. I'm tempted to just try JB Weld orexhaust repair tape, but I know I should just suck it up and fix this right.
rip it off go wide open :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::chair:

no no ... a new resonator ... get your own and have the shop weld it .. or it would be cheep to use clamps though thats not very good in the long run

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exhaust fixed. My mechanic said the weld had been re-done at least twice, and that a new weld wouldn't last long. He gave me a choice of a new aftermarket resonator or a straight pipe. I chose the pipe when he said it'd be cheaper, not much louder, and would give me a tiny boost in power. 30 minutes and $50 later, my car is now quieter than ever, making me think that there has always been a leak in that weld that I aggravated in Utah.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts