Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My wife's 2003 Forester (MY04) has 158,000kms and a dodgy idle control valve/actuator. Nothing unusual so far... however the actual part fitted carries a unique part number that comes up with precisely zero hits when searching.

The part printed on the body is "A33 662 R03". Sound familar? The normal part is called "A33 661 R02". I bought a clone R02 via the UK but it clearly is the wrong part. With that one the car idles all over the place.

So I call Subaru and ask what the part number is. They tell me it is 22650AA320. About $900... They freely tell me to look it up on Google/eBay and see if I can get it elsewhere. Nope. That part is also uber-rare. Again, you can find any number of 22650AA191 etc etc... but those are the wrong part. I believe.

Has anyone ever seen this part in their car? Surely my wife's car can't be the only one with this particular version?

I have a photo of the part with label if anyone wants to confirm.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
Sometimes, the number printed on the part can be a suppliers code (not everything is made/supplied by Subaru) Parts can also be superceded during production but still have the same part number or the original part number will be superceded to the new part & number, confused, hopefully not.

The next is a long shot but if you can provide one of our Supporting Vendors with your VIN she may be of some help. Jackie at Annapolis Subaru may be of some help and she has dealt with many of our Australian members. Not sure if here database includes world VIN's.

Also posting a picture will help if our description of the part differs from yours. In case you need a little help http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f78/how-post-photos-images-56219/

For a more regional response I'd also suggest asking the fine people at Welcome to OzFoz.com Sometimes two heads are better than one, and it may be more related to the Australian models that others will have, possibly having come up against the same issue too.

Hang in there.
Cheers
Doug

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Can I ask how you arrived at the IACV being faulty? I think part of the reason the Subaru valve is so expensive is perhaps because they rarely go wrong?, and while I suspected mine of being in trouble on a number of occasions, it turned out to be other things, like the MAF and once, the TPS. What are the symptoms that lead you to the IACV?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
There's a good chance they are exactly the same part, just with a different part number for your region. I'd be tempted(if the electrical connections look the same) to buy one and try one.

Or

Try sourcing a used one to try. Look in the classifieds for a part out and PM them.

·
Registered
04 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys and thanks again. I did mention on the first post that I bought an R02 clone and tried it but the car over-revs when idling (around 2000rpm+) and recovered when the old one was put back in.
Now it may be that the clone I bought was faulty. It does work sometimes though, just not as well as the original.
Still waiting for the VIN but I have attached the photo of the actual part in my wife's car.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I ask how you arrived at the IACV being faulty? I think part of the reason the Subaru valve is so expensive is perhaps because they rarely go wrong?, and while I suspected mine of being in trouble on a number of occasions, it turned out to be other things, like the MAF and once, the TPS. What are the symptoms that lead you to the IACV?
The car has just been serviced, and yes, the usual magic Subaru spray used to remove carbon deposits. What tends to happen is that the engine shudders, drops rpm when coming to a halt, say at traffic lights, presumably because the idle valve cannot react quickly enough.
Also, the ECU is reporting an IACV fault. It has been doing this for at least one year or so.

The mechanic cleaned it up as much as possible but said that it felt very tight compared to the new clone one I bought. The mechanic owns the same model Subaru Forester himself and so is quite familiar with the car.

·
Registered
04 Forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi. Yes thanks I've seen that. It's a completely different size/shaped IACV. Mine (as shown in the photo above) is a completely sealed cylindrical unit. As mentioned before, the Subaru-friendly mechanic has carefully cleaned the unit as much as possible from the outside.

Just a reminder that even though the actual part in my photo might be a different version of the same Subaru part, the quoted part for my car is "22650AA320". That's the official Subaru part number and I can't see a non-genuine replacement available online. Weird...

·
Registered
2003 Forester Manual
13 Posts
Thanks for sharing this intel flstffxe. Spoke too soon. I don't have that style of IACV. Crap...can't figure out this high idle problem. Ever since changing clutch, timing belt, etc and the reinstall the idle has been too high and mimics what the op is dealing with.

·
Registered
2002 S-202A
1 Posts
The same part problem has arisen for us with our Forester 2002 2.5L EJ251 engine, otherwise known as the Model S-202A Forester.

The idle / air control responds sluggishly leading to stalling in situations like traffic lights or entering a roundabout...
The original part is marked "A33-662 R03 UNISIA JECS"...
The "original subaru" part reference (I am told) is 22650AA320...
BUT it seems obscenely rich to ask $1,183 for that "R03" when the minutely different part labelled "R02" sells for $60 delivered !!

Has anyone else found a GOOD solution ?

Thanks for giving your thoughts and time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts