Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my center console today and gave it a good scrub. Whilst at it I thought I would pop me stereo out and I found this wire.

At first I thought it may be for the blank switch but it has AMP stamped on it. Stupid question I know, but what is it for?

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
My wife interviewed at AMP some time ago.

Is it a yellow wire? It may be the wire that is supposed to power the light on the turbo boost gauge.

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
Possibly a ground that attaches to a little tab on the stereo system?
Exactly waht I was thinking?

Do you have a little mltimeter, to see if it has continuity when tested against the cars earth??

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M'fraid not. I dont remember it being connected to the Subaru stereo when I removed it, but it does look like thats what it's for in that pic.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,882 Posts
It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there are two openings in the connector. Is that right? This would argue against its being a ground and in favor of an indicator light of some sort, or a simple switch. And Subaru switches are seldom simple ones.

If the style of the cable and the connector match what's already there, I'd say it's intended for some accessory that didn't come standard with your model. It's much easier and cheaper for them to use one standard wiring harness that's configured for every possible thing that might be connected than to tailor them to the fine details of different configurations.

If the cable and connector are of a significantly different style than those already there, then I'd guess it's left over from an aftermarket device once installed by a previous owner.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,569 Posts
It's as Peaty says a ground connection.

In the SG it attaches to the Radio mount, in UK SF it attaches to the tab on the back of the radio (If its still got the Subaru Philips installed).

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,569 Posts
Yup, that is the pax airbag wire!

Simon
Deebom said:
No. It's black.
I'm not certain were these yellow air bag wires figure in this (apart from in the background out of the way) as he's holding a single black wire in his hand.

Hopefully the wiring diagram will help...................

·
Registered
1999 (UKDM) S-Turbo (LT) 4EAT
217 Posts
Is that definitely a single spade type connector inside that moulding? Not that I've looked at mine recently but the wire looks a bit beefy for just a radio ground.

Incidentally, if you do put a multimeter on unknown wires, always start with a check for voltage with the ignition off and on BEFORE checking for continuity, it saves your multimeter from letting the smoke out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts