Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,559 Posts
I'm sometimes cynical but when I read nobody that matters posts for some strange reason I start smelling smoke.
I am also quite suspicious, especially since the $40K+ purchase price was quoted. My 19 Touring price wasn’t anywhere near that figure.... not even in the ballpark.

CVT‘s have absolutely no interaction with window failures, A/C failures, or door seals falling off. Bearing failures...bushing failures...extremely premature tire wear... it pushes the credibility threshold.

I have no way of knowing if these issues actually occurred, but I’ll simply say this...If all of these things have happened as described, then this vehicle truly has to be the “mother of all lemons”.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,559 Posts
While I never totally discount the unexpected things a sophisticated piece of equipment, such as a modern vehicle, might do...

I also have seen this movie several times before, the most recent one of any size being with Toyota. While Toyota did perform some ergonomic modifications and enhance their drive-by-wire software, there are still hundreds of thousands of them that have never had any of those modifications performed under the recall (I have an 09 Tacoma that I bought new and waited 3 years before having the modifications done, and never experienced any UA episodes whatsoever). Usually, the highest success rate on vehicle recalls only approaches 75% under the best of circumstances. I haven’t heard much about UA in Toyota vehicles lately...

So, until I see something a bit more concrete show up, this won’t even be on my radar.

Incidentally, my extended family owns a 13 Crosstrek, a 15 Outback, 2 19 Foresters and a 20 Crosstrek... none of them have exhibited any such behavior.

Its easy to file a lawsuit... winning and collecting is another matter entirely...

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limitd CVT
106 Posts
Never really saw this as being a problem with the Forester but apparently a few people are suing Subaru because of this: New Subaru Lawsuit Claims Forester And Outback SUVs Can Suddenly Accelerate | Torque News
Just saw this thread. I've had this happen on my 2015 Forester Limited maybe a dozen times since I purchased it in January 2015. Usually when pulling into a parking space or coming to a stop sign at low speed I depress the brake pedal and the vehicle, while under braking, accelerates. I have to apply the brakes more forcefully to stop. When this has happened I first assumed I might be apply pressure to the gas pedal while braking but upon examining this in more detail my foot was not touching the gas pedal. Definitely unnerving when it happens. Fortunately is is a rare occurrence.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,262 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,559 Posts
“We are aware of the incident involving Ms. Rawls and her Subaru at her home, and our local retailer has been working directly with her. Ms. Rawls’ vehicle was thoroughly and methodically inspected by trained Subaru technicians who did not find any defects in the vehicle that could have caused the incident she describes. We are not aware of a single confirmed case of unintended acceleration in a Subaru vehicle, ever.”

— Dominick Infante, Director, Corporate Communications, Subaru of America, Inc.

Assuming that’s an accurate statement, someone claiming a case of UA has a very steep hill to climb.

My guess… the lady confused the brake for the accelerator… It happens frequently, especially among older drivers…

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,236 Posts
Much like every other "negative" issue reported here lately, it seems that nobody wishes to take responsibility for what is mostly their own faults or issues. The unexplainable fireballs, the unexplainable window cracks, the person driving through their garage.

Those involved cannot offer any verifiable proof of their claim - the car just burst into flames, the windshield just cracked, the car just zoomed forward...

They want the manufacturer to "take responsibility" or not "miss a golden opportunity" to pay for what can often be attributed to a driver related issue.

I'm not saying that there couldn't be an issue with one particular person's car - but if you consider how many of a particular Subaru are made each year or even each generation, and then compare that to the relatively limited number of incidents of unexplained acceleration, unexplained engine fires or unexplained windshield cracks for each of those years and / or generations, logic and rational thinking lead to the answer of driver fault.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
274 Posts
@FozzieBalou Ever notice it's rarely the established and active members who come here with all these mysterious issues? It's almost always a first post.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but after a while you have to wonder if people working for either Subaru's competitors or the law firms filing these suits are the ones posting this stuff.

This site is as much a resource for prospective buyers as it is for us who own a Forester. Google "Subaru Forester" and any specific subject and it doesn't take long for this forum to show up in the results. Post enough threads about windshields or fires or CVTs and sooner or later some prospect reading them will be heading to the (fill in the blank) dealer down the street.

Remember the Kia troll? This isn't NASIOC where some EVO or Golf R troll shows up to start some crap about WRXs. Trolling for the mainstream products of a competitive mainstream brand isn't some fanboi. It's someone in marketing.

Class action lawyers (I refer to our local variety as the Mesothelioma Mafia) can look at all these questionable posts as proof there's a rash of safety issues despite NHTSA's databases saying otherwise.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,559 Posts
Agreed… I’m waiting for someone charged with leaving their kids in the vehicle to come up with a way they can blame the manufacturer has an inherent vehicle design flaw that MADE them forget their children in the back seat…

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,236 Posts
Freddie - why do you think we now have "back seat" reminders on man new cars...? Pretty soon they'll probably have the rear doors pop open when you turn off the car and open the driver's door so it will FORCE you to look in the back seat.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,559 Posts
But, Occifer… Sure, I was drunk out of my mind when I got behind the wheel, but the manufacturer should have had a mechanism that prevented me from starting the vehicle and running down all of those innocent pedestrians… It’s not MY fault!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,236 Posts
Ironically ....

They do make those types of devices... a very good friend had 2 DUIs (2nd was just about 1 month before the first would have dropped off his record) and had to go to AA and all of that. Met another through those classes that had one of those devices installed that they have to breathe into a tube before he could start the car to drive... Of course, like most things in life, I'm pretty sure it can be bypassed by some nefarious method...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,559 Posts
My daughter roomed with a girl in college that had one of those things that required her to blow into it before ignition startup, as well as randomly and periodically while driving, although all she needed was someone else to blow into the tube to defeat it.

However, I suspect we’ll never see those devices as factory installed options…. Well, I sure as hell hope we never do…

21 - 36 of 36 Posts