Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,631 Posts
The description reminds me of a similar suit against Audi back in the day.
There have been quite a few of these suits over the years:

It's likely to cost Subie some big bucks in awards and yet another brand hit. It hurt Audi pretty bad for quite a few years.
Its possible that there really is no problem, and it's a case of driver error pushing down on the skinny pedal while trying to stop.

The thing that seems odd, is that there are multiple years covered:
"2012-2018 Subaru Forester, 2015-2019 Subaru Outback, and 2015-2019 Subaru Legacy model year vehicles".

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,926 Posts
Sounds like bogus $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,536 Posts
These accusations have been alleged against Audi, Lexus/Toyota, and to a lesser degree GM and Kia over the years if memory serves correctly... and I’ve probably left a few others out...I’d say each manufacturer hasn’t suffered any real long-term damage from them.

Seems everyone gets a turn at the wheel.

While theres no way for any outsider to prove these allegations are true or false, you can get the real winner here (if there is one) won’t be either the claimants or the manufacturer, but the law firm(s).

It may end up being proven it actually happened, but it’s far more likely a few folks can’t tell the difference between the brake and accelerator pedals...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,234 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,197 Posts
Big shoes? Mistaken gas pedal for brake? Drive by wire pretty much makes this impossible, computer coding pretty much prevents prevents acceleration if you foot is on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
456 Posts
One of our lube jockeys could have easily killed me once, lucky I was working at the front of the car and when I heard the tires screeching I didn't make to the back of the car before he hit the wall. I would have be pinned. He accidentally hit the gas and in the panic, just pushed harder on the gas. Took out a bunch of blocks out of the back wall. That car suffer from sudden acceleration as well, the human caused kind. I have certain shoes I have to be careful in because I can easily end up pushing both pedals.

·
Read Only
24 Posts

Anyone reading heard of surging? Well Subaru CVT are notorious for it. Will destroy your suspension and perhaps even make a full stop as if you put the car into park going 35-40 mph. Why? Who knows. Subaru hates me so much they refused to do the last safety recall at Gilman because I gave them a 1 star google review. Is this a joke? Peoples families are in these cars! I'm limping still due to cvt malfunctioning. Fractured bones in knee. This is a serious problem and I for one hope they pay for it. Any idea how shocking it is to have your car buck and hop or make a sudden full stop for absolutely no reason?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,536 Posts
It’s not like there were never any issues with mechanical setups. I’ve seen multiple mechanical linkages hang a throttle wide open, back in the 50’s and 60’s. Electronics took control because of the advances in electronic ignition and fuel burn control, as well as other things, made it a logical move to go with electronic controls.

·
Read Only
24 Posts
These accusations have been alleged against Audi, Lexus/Toyota, and to a lesser degree GM and Kia over the years if memory serves correctly... and I’ve probably left a few others out...I’d say each manufacturer hasn’t suffered any real long-term damage from them.

Seems everyone gets a turn at the wheel.

While theres no way for any outsider to prove these allegations are true or false, you can get the real winner here (if there is one) won’t be either the claimants or the manufacturer, but the law firm(s).

It may end up being proven it actually happened, but it’s far more likely a few folks can’t tell the difference between the brake and accelerator pedals...
You're are definitely right about that. No winners here. Just more miserable mistakes going on for years. CVT should just be eliminated imo. I prefer the old transmission actually or just standard. CVT has been a horrible experience for me.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,212 Posts
Never had a problem with the CVT. EVER. If you're so unhappy with it, sell it and go buy something else.

Look, "unintended acceleration" has been an issue for years (decades?) with people pushing the wrong pedals OR having the floor-mats installed incorrectly....

But as has beens aid before - if you put your foot FIRMLY ON THE BRAKE PEDAL - no matter how much force is being applied to accelerate, out of control, in to a wall or another car or another person or any of that. In the old days, we used to call this a "brake stand"... Now many newer cars use this for "launch control" - where you stand on both brake and accelerator pedals in gear, the engine just revs up to some RPM and then release the brake and "LAUNCH"... Read a car mag when they're talking about some of these high-performance sports cars...

We've had "drive by wire" cars for more years than some folks have been alive. Once cruise control went from vacuum lines to electrical controls, it's been as such.

The CVT doesn't surge "as if put ... into park" and stop. Something else happened. The mechanicals wouldn't allow that. Just as a traditional automatic with gears wouldn't do this. It's just not possible - physics and all. Whether you're using gears or belts and pulleys, it's just not going to happen.

If you're having such a terrible time - sell it. Walk away. Go buy something else with a manual transmission or a "regular" automatic...

·
Read Only
24 Posts
Never had a problem with the CVT. EVER. If you're so unhappy with it, sell it and go buy something else.

Look, "unintended acceleration" has been an issue for years (decades?) with people pushing the wrong pedals OR having the floor-mats installed incorrectly....

But as has beens aid before - if you put your foot FIRMLY ON THE BRAKE PEDAL - no matter how much force is being applied to accelerate, out of control, in to a wall or another car or another person or any of that. In the old days, we used to call this a "brake stand"... Now many newer cars use this for "launch control" - where you stand on both brake and accelerator pedals in gear, the engine just revs up to some RPM and then release the brake and "LAUNCH"... Read a car mag when they're talking about some of these high-performance sports cars...

We've had "drive by wire" cars for more years than some folks have been alive. Once cruise control went from vacuum lines to electrical controls, it's been as such.

The CVT doesn't surge "as if put ... into park" and stop. Something else happened. The mechanicals wouldn't allow that. Just as a traditional automatic with gears wouldn't do this. It's just not possible - physics and all. Whether you're using gears or belts and pulleys, it's just not going to happen.

If you're having such a terrible time - sell it. Walk away. Go buy something else with a manual transmission or a "regular" automatic...

1. If you drove my car you would change your mind. Either that or you have a business goal here. Which I do not. I only want the car to instill confidence and safety for my family. If you don't respect that, don't speak please.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,212 Posts
Nope.. no business goal Just stating MY opinions and thoughts on the issue presented.

The Forester is one of the safest small SUVs models out there - that's a fact from just about every government entity out there and quite a few of the private organizations as well. There is a lot of empirical evidence that also supports this. Hell, look at the Outback commercial from a few years ago where a squished Outback makes the trip from the scene of an accident to the wrecking yard - and the comment everybody makes is "and they walked away"....

So what do you think - or what has ANYBODY told you is the issue with your CVT that caused it to stop like it was put in park? You've not provided any information beyond that and another bit about how you gave a dealership a 1 star review and that they won't work on your car... sounds kind of like sour grapes...

Regarding surging - that is generally going to be an ENGINE issue and not a transmission issue UNLESS YOU'VE got major slippage or some other major malfunction going on. And surging is not "...perhaps even make a full stop as if you put the car into park going 35-40 mph ..."

So what's the issue you're having? Describe it. Tell us what the issue is.

BTW, a Forester is not a WRX and never will be, never could be and won't be. Even the turbo XT is nothing like a WRX - totally different animal and totally different experience. The ONLY thing they share in common may be a few interior bits (radio, power switches, HVAC panel, dash/console) and a badge or two... and maybe a few engine components, but those will be few and far between.

·
Read Only
24 Posts
One of our lube jockeys could have easily killed me once, lucky I was working at the front of the car and when I heard the tires screeching I didn't make to the back of the car before he hit the wall. I would have be pinned. He accidentally hit the gas and in the panic, just pushed harder on the gas. Took out a bunch of blocks out of the back wall. That car suffer from sudden acceleration as well, the human caused kind. I have certain shoes I have to be careful in because I can easily end up pushing both pedals.

That basically sounds like my situation. I even have the accelerator % guage. It will be pressed to
Nope.. no business goal Just stating MY opinions and thoughts on the issue presented.

The Forester is one of the safest small SUVs models out there - that's a fact from just about every government entity out there and quite a few of the private organizations as well. There is a lot of empirical evidence that also supports this. Hell, look at the Outback commercial from a few years ago where a squished Outback makes the trip from the scene of an accident to the wrecking yard - and the comment everybody makes is "and they walked away"....

So what do you think - or what has ANYBODY told you is the issue with your CVT that caused it to stop like it was put in park? You've not provided any information beyond that and another bit about how you gave a dealership a 1 star review and that they won't work on your car... sounds kind of like sour grapes...

Regarding surging - that is generally going to be an ENGINE issue and not a transmission issue UNLESS YOU'VE got major slippage or some other major malfunction going on. And surging is not "...perhaps even make a full stop as if you put the car into park going 35-40 mph ..."

BTW, a Forester is not a WRX and never will be, never could be and won't be. Even the turbo XT is nothing like a WRX - totally different animal and totally different experience. The ONLY thing they share in common may be a few interior bits (radio, power switches, HVAC panel, dash/console) and a badge or two... and maybe a few engine components, but those will be few and far between.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I purchased 4 new Subaru prior to this one. No CVT! I had mostly no problems before, I was a hardened Subaru person. Now things have changed. I'm having so many pathetic problems that I know others personally have. They make overpriced garbage now and nobody seems to want to address it. Windows roll down for no reason. Bearings of all sort are garbage. Door and window seals fall off, A/C failed three times. Tires wear at an incredible rate considering the little driving it gets. I prefer my old cummins diesel. I want something safe for family. The control arms and bushings failed causing a wreck with latest "eyesight" on a $40k+ vehicle. I dont respect that. The car has been through 4 sets of tires before 30k miles with proof, last three were 80k mile tires. This is only a third of my problems. I have a much larger list if anyone wants the details. I drove an hour in a rain storm with windows rolling down randomly. Roll them up, don't work, roll down then up. But they roll down again. I was recently so sick afterwards and heaters had be to run in car for days to dry it out.

This is not a joke. I pay for this as does my family. If you object just shut your mouth.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That basically sounds like my situation. I even have the accelerator % guage. It will be pressed to

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I purchased 4 new Subaru prior to this one. No CVT! I had mostly no problems before, I was a hardened Subaru person. Now things have changed. I'm having so many pathetic problems that I know others personally have. They make overpriced garbage now and nobody seems to want to address it. Windows roll down for no reason. Bearings of all sort are garbage. Door and window seals fall off, A/C failed three times. Tires wear at an incredible rate considering the little driving it gets. I prefer my old cummins diesel. I want something safe for family. The control arms and bushings failed causing a wreck with latest "eyesight" on a $40k+ vehicle. I dont respect that. The car has been through 4 sets of tires before 30k miles with proof, last three were 80k mile tires. This is only a third of my problems. I have a much larger list if anyone wants the details. I drove an hour in a rain storm with windows rolling down randomly. Roll them up, don't work, roll down then up. But they roll down again. I was recently so sick afterwards and heaters had be to run in car for days to dry it out.

This is not a joke. I pay for this as does my family. If you object just shut your mouth.
So maybe you got a lemon, guess what- happens with all brands.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,536 Posts

When I see such a varied range of problems, especially on a vehicle purchased new by the owner, I always think of the possibility of a vehicle that’s been thru a flood...

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,212 Posts
So again - sell it. Go buy something else...

If you're going through tires like that - it's an alignment problem. If the control arms and bushings failed and caused a wreck, that's a valid fault, but surely not anything that eyesight is designed to prevent. Eyesight is a set of devices that are designed to ASSIST the driver by alerting to lane change drifting, helping to slow the vehicle if another car in front stops, or even to mostly stop a car from hitting a solid object in front. But it's certainly not something that will drive the car for you. And it still requires the driver to be active in that activity - driving.

But instead of debating you (something you don't seem to be able to do), I'll just say it again - sell it. Go and buy something else.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts