Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.5X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howzit fozzies

Bought a 2003 forester 2.5x and what a great vehicle on and off the road. Only one problem, every time I go onto a gravel road a deep rattle noise starts coming from the back. I've taken out my spare wheel together with everything around it and the back board, went on gravel and noise still there. When I drive back onto the tar the noise carries on for a while then goes away until I go back off road. The other day I even stopped the car when I got of the gravel road and left it for 15 minutes, when I drove off on the smooth tar the noise carried on for a few miles then stopped. So it seems like I have to drive a few miles for it to go away.

Any advise will be appreciated as I don't know where to look anymore.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
102 Posts
If it's coming from under the car, I'd suspect that the exhaust is making contact someplace. Do you have a tow hitch on it? Those are likely suspects. Check the integrity of all those heat shields and guards while your under there. If it's from somewhere inside? Dunno. Gremlins maybe?

Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 2.5X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, exhaust and everything around it is fine. I suspect the shocks, will take it the weekend for a shock test.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Is it more of a clunk, bobble, knock, or what? Theres a lot that can make noises back there.

I would double check that the rear endlinks aren't flipping, and causing the sway bar ends to go under the lateral links. Is yours lifted or anything?

·
Registered
2003 2.5X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's lifted. It's a rumble knock noise, Will that make the sound carry on on a tar road and go away after a few km. I wonder if it's not just the fuel in my tank ???????????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts