Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Unexpected (for me) benefit of AWD - better takeoff when turning

1626 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  StiForester19
Recently bought a 2019 Subaru Forester, my first AWD car. The car is not a speed demon, but I am a pretty laid back driver. I do though, want the car to accelerate briskly when entering directly into thick traffic running at speed on Route 1 from one of the many businesses - being too leisurely there could get you rear-ended.

What I have found is, while my prior FWD cars were subject to LOTS of wheel spin while trying to make that sharp turn and accelerate hard at the same time, the AWD system allows me to take off with zero drama and more importantly, zero lost time, because there's zero wheel spin. The net effect is that I am more confident entering this lane with cars running thick at 50mph than I was with earlier FWD cars with more power, because the AWD drivetrain makes the available power more usable in that first critical second or two while making this maneuver :smile2:.
Reactions: 2
1 - 1 of 8 Posts
I don't consider myself a street racer, but do seem to have a slight case of leadfootitis when it comes to initially setting a car in motion. I absolutely HATE the constant chirping of tires when taking off over those white stop lines at intersections (the applied ones are even worse than the old painted or painted AND beaded types) whenever I am forced to drive a FWD car or even some AWDs other than my Subie, and it's worse with harder compound high mileage rated tires, and when it rains.

My FXT seldom chirps, regardless of whether it has summer or winter tires on it, in rain, shine or slush. I guess I've finally outgrown thinking that burning rubber or "catching a wheel" was cool, and truly appreciate how my Symmetrical AWD and Lineartronic CVT can get me going briskly when I ask them to, without attracting undesirable attention.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 8 Posts