Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. HAve had a 2006 Forester XT for about 4 months. I have been getting weird drumming vibrations from the rear at speed, but only when going up hill, e.g. motorway inclines, steep passes etc - sounds like a loose exhaust, but isn't. NEVER get it on the flat or downhill.

Now realise that the gap between my rear suspension tyre and wheelarch on the nearside is about 2 inches less than on the offside, but I'd swear it wasn't before!

Any ideas? Self levelling faullt? Ruined shocker? H E LP!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I don't think XT had the self-leveling struts, did they? I think that was only the N/A LL Bean Edition Forester. That's in the US though.

Is your rear sway bar stock? There was a local member who upgraded to an STi rear bar and it kept shifting left to right, making his height uneven. Check the rear sway bar first.

Welcome, BTW.

Stan

·
Registered
05 XT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suspension Problems

Well apparently UK spec XTs do have the self levelling, which is why they're highly sought-after as tow-cars in the UK. I doubt there's anything non-stock as previous one owner clearly cherished it and al servicing was from main dealer...... but thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Double check it on another surface, but if its sagging then its probably the SLS failed. IMO sls is garbage and doesn't really do anything beneficial, so I'd just throw some non SLS struts and springs on.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X manual
1 Posts
Drumming vibration from rear

Did you ever find out what caused that drumming vibration in the rear of your Forester? I have exactly the same drumming noise going uphill. My Forester 2004 also have those self-leveling dampers. The car is saging in the rear, so I am leaning towards that this is a damper problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts