Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first mods done in the first few weeks of having the car.:icon_biggrin: I am asking a question after searching because I am not sure really what I shold expect. I don't have much time in the car.

Car was totally stock until last week

So far 245/55ZR- 16 on stock rims
Swift springs with a medeocre alignment but within specs
Today Perrin 22mm RSB with Stout mounts set on the softest setting.

So I took a sweeping 270 freeway off ramp at about 40 and the car was really flat but it seemed to understeer. The road was slightly damp. So what is the question you ask?

What do you think about this setup as far as neutral balance goes? How will I know when I get there? The front sway bar is stock and I did not really want to change it. Others than wheels at some point this was kinda the end of my suspension mods for now. No auto cross for me.

With the Perrin rear sway bar should I set it at the stiffer setting? Like I say I don't have much seat time to know what to compare it to. I guess this is more of an experience with your car question and what worked.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
the front sway bar is the best one to change, i dont know why you wouldnt want too... i always lol @ every1 who just does the rear. IMHO suspension and tires should be where you spend most of your money! id also dial in your alignment better, -1.5f / -1.0r is a good starting point.

i run 25f/22r(softest setting) perrins and couldnt be happier. your next mod should be real tires!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You do not want to gage your car based on damp pavement, but in general a stiffer rear bar will will give you more oversteer which meens less understeer.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
More oversteer doesn't really automatically mean less understeer. With a bigger rear sway you should have more grip in the rear, but the front can still push. Honestly, I was never really happy with Swifts and 22mm rear bar, when pushed the car handled weird and never felt planted. Better struts and lower/stiffer springs made it feel more solid, and a 25mm front bar tied it all together nicely.

A front bar may be worth considering, it's fairly easy to install and can be resold if you don't like it.

Stan

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Yup. Front bar shifts the bias towards understeer all things being equal but helps maintain your camber. You can take grip away from the back easily through alignment.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
Is this an automatic or manual? The AWD system is completely different on each and is going to affect the balance more than the suspension set up. The auto AWD system is front bias and will push in the corners regardless of your suspension setup. I haven't driven a manual but at 50/50 my guess is that it will also push in the corners but less so than the auto. Most AWD cars push in the corners. That's just the nature of the beast.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,897 Posts
Looking at another post the OP made, he has a 4EAT :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
Looking at another post the OP made, he has a 4EAT
Well, there's his problem right there. No amount of suspension tuning is going to fix that problem:)

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
I think a bit of its going to be yoru tires.Why did you go so wide on a 6.5 inch wheels?

You need 17's with a 225x50 if you have a 5 speed or 225x55 if you have an auto.

joe r

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
I think the point is there is no magic formula for a neutral-handling car, and neutral to one can be too much oversteer or understeer to another. Also, a car can be more or less "sorted out" for a specific purpose -- autox setup will be different from a track setup and as well as from a street setup. If this is your DD, you'll need to find the right combination that will make the car most fun to drive, comfortable yet safe. Swifts and a rear bar improve our car's handling without sacrificing too much, but it still won't be a race car (it is a nice sporty setup though).

Do you have an alignment sheet you can scan and post?

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stan T Thats what I want

Yes it is my daily driver and I wanted a relatively quiet and comfortable all wheel drive. I drive up a fairly fun and windy road to the summit and then around Tahoe to get to work. I will not be racing the car either.

From my reading here the parts I chose so far seemed like a good balance. I had not considered the impact the automatic transmission and all wheel drive would have on the car. Given that I think I might be where I need to be.

I picked the tires based on my searching here and on a Car and Driver article as to what would fit.

As long as the parts hold together without problems I guess I will get into the engine compartment over the next few weeks. I heard a clunk on the right rear while turning left tonight:icon_frown:. I hope I was hearing things but time will tell. I will climb under the car tomorrow and see if there is any rubbing from the sway bar. It seemed to have good clearance during install.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Administrator
40,897 Posts
Install a matching front sway bar. I'm almost positive that will give you the handling you're looking for. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
With a bigger rear sway you should have more grip in the FRONT.

Simon
In theory, but he is complaining about loosing grip in the front first after installing a larger rear bar. If more rear bar meant more front grip, in theory he could just adjust the bar stiffer, right? But, I think that could make the car even more unsafe because it would be more prone to lift throttle oversteer. Could be worth a try (it's free), but would you recommend that?

My thinking is more bar helps to keep the chamber from going positive, maintaining more grip. Upgrading to a larger front bar didn't make my car understeer more per se, but it did tighten up the front when cornering.

Stan

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I oversteer a little, and I don't even have a rear sway bar installed. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
40,897 Posts
When I bought my '07 FSXT last year (July/09), it was bone stock, with the exception of cheapo tires the dealership installed. I found it oversteered way more than I liked! After upgrading to Toyo Proxes 4, 235/45-18x7.5" (+42 offset), plus front & rear COBB 25mm sway bars, the handling is very good. My opinion of course. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmmm that brings up a new question. Did I ruin or reduce safety in the snow with these mods?

I am going to search throttle oversteer because I think I was rolling on the throttle when the oversteer began. I am also taking the car back to have them check the allignment today. It is alligned to the "forester except turbo" specs. I don't know if it is different but I will have them try again.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
I am going to search throttle oversteer because I think I was rolling on the throttle when the oversteer began.
In the offramp turn, did it begin to oversteer (rear end coming around), or understeer (front end wants to "push" -- you turn the wheel but the car wants to go straight?)

Stan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts