Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited auto CVT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused about the offset numbers. Stock is 48mm (I think). I put on aftermarket wheels that are 35mm offset. Does that put the wheel further out to the side or closer to the inside? Have seen threads on the mounting of the 235/65-17 with no problems on stock wheels. Just wondering how this size tire will fit with my wheels.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,515 Posts
Reactions: Mikku

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
What width are the new wheels? 35mm on stock width is not optimal. Wheel bearings might fail prematurely.

·
Registered
2018 Black Edition
95 Posts
Tried installing 235/65/17 yoko g015 on 17x8 +40 rims. The front wheels fit fine. The rear wheels hit heavy on the front of the wheel well for me. Probably would need to do some grinding.

Now running 235/60/17 cooper at3 4s. <--Pic below how close the rear wheel is to the wheel well.
Just my experience, I know others have had better turn out with it and running it on there SJ.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
@88maroon

Do you have a lift (I can't recall)? To me your result is the same as the older models before fitting a trailing arm spacer to realign the wheel in the center of the wheel arch; however I'm not sure how to do that with your multilink suspension.

·
Registered
2018 Black Edition
95 Posts
Yeah I have the 1" adf in the front and the 1-3/8" in the rear. I see, I'll have to do a little more research than if I ever wanna go taller wheels. Thanks man

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited auto CVT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What width are the new wheels? 35mm on stock width is not optimal. Wheel bearings might fail prematurely.
OK, now I'm concerned. Anybody want to chime in on this? I still have my original wheels, just don't like the looks that much. New wheels same width as stock.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
11 Posts
In post #3 above, 2.5x_sleeper recommends a website to check how tires/wheels compare. Try putting in your tire/wheel size and compare.

I used this tire and wheel size comparison site when I picked out my tires and wheels.

https://www.tire-size-calculator.in...=0&2tw=245&2ar=50&2dia=18&2ww=9&2off=35&2ws=0

I like how it overlays the two tire/wheel setups so you can compare how visually.

BTW, the numbers are what I used for my 2015 FXT with the 18x7 wheels. You can change them for your own setup.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
397 Posts
OK, now I'm concerned. Anybody want to chime in on this? I still have my original wheels, just don't like the looks that much. New wheels same width as stock.
There are many many many of us running +15 offset wheels, which pushes them out even further. Most of the popular rally/offroad wheels come with the +15 offset. Going from the stock +48 to +35 is only moving them outward by 13mm. That's around half an inch. I'm admittedly no mechanic, but seems like a reeeally negligible shift.

A lot of guys even run these Bassett wheels which go to an even larger extreme:

I dunno...I think you should make your ride look how you want it to look. That slight 13mm shift outwards doesn't seem abusive at all to me... :smile2:

·
Registered
26 Posts

Don't worry about it at all! That comment is very general and honestly completely incorrect.

As someone else stated a 13mm difference will not prematurely take out the wheel bearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts