Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of nice studless snow tires left over from another vehicle and I'd like to use them on my '03. They have the correct bolt pattern but they're a 15". I haven't tried mounting them yet, but they look like they'll fit. Anyone foresee any problems that I haven't thought of (aside from the speedo running fast)?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I don't believe the 15 will fit over the brakes. Not an area I pay much attention too, but others may chime in.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Most 15" won't fit over the front brakes without either grinding down the calipers, getting rally 15" wheels, or going to the smaller SF brake calipers.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grind the Calipers?

Just do a little grinding on your calipers, you should be good!
You serious? I've never done that before. I'd be willing to give it a try but I want to make sure this isn't one of those "muffler bearings" or "blinker fluid" types of suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
You'll find info on "muffler bearings" and "blinker fluid" in their respective forums. :shrug:

Seriously, some people do grind down their calipers to make them fit. But I think you would be better served in the long run is to list the tires and wheels on Craigslist or similar site and sell them.

Do you know what the offset is of the wheels? What type of vehicle did they come off of? Your Forester has an offset of 48, you can run up to a 55 offset, but some tire combinations may rub, going further out than 48 may compromise wheel bearings and steering components, some may argue otherwise.

I'd be looking on Craigslist and others for maybe either some standard X wheels or alloys that will fit the Forester better than guessing that they'll fit.

Take a look through the tire and wheel forum for information on wheels and offsets and what will fit, Tire Rack and Discount Tire websites also have great info on this. A little education will go a long way in making your Subaru experience more enjoyable.

Don't forget to check with other Washington owners nearby for their recommendations on just about anything, sea-scooby has the sticky in the Tire and Wheel Forum on what Subaru rims fit Foresters for example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts