Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Based off of these threads here are the parts my guy has made.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f104/ringer-stopped-over-we-made-57388/

and

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f104/round-2-homemade-intake-box-57922/

TMIC splitter. My forester is using a 2008 STI tmic and their is no shroud out to allow the scoop to mate up with the tmic and seal, so I built a ghetto prototype and Vince made this. Vinice is a local buddy who works at a very nice machine shop.

Air box for short ram intake.

I have been doing logs on my air intake temps and even on 30 degree days I an still seeing intake temps in the 90's since I have a short ram intake. I again built a ghetto version of this, did some logs and saw intake temps drop off by 50+ degrees.

The box is still in the works but so far so good. I have to source some rubber to seal the splitter to the hood but overall im very happy with the quality and prices he charged.

More testing on intake temps when I/we get the box to fit perfectly.

All parts are made of .125 aluminum, cnc bent, welded and look great.

I have a FXT sport and I am attaching the opening for the air box to the fender and then via hose to the lower grill for direct air feed.

Installed photos to come later today.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Good info guys.

Here are some installed photos.

Notes. Mt car has an aftermarket gimmick Motorsports turbo inlet, which is a piece of ****. The box was designed for the stock inlet and test fitted on a buddies forester. Those photos will follow later this week. Next, the tmic shroud is not complete either. It will have a rubber seal to seal it to the hood.

Onto the photos

The hole in the fender lines up pretty damn good. 3" inlet to the box.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,844 Posts
Very nice, especially the pile of moola! :wink: Looks like your project is coming together! :cool:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
Those are awesome! Haha, I also noticed the stack of cash. Gangster...

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
Very nice. Like my Cobb box, but I'm sure a lot cheaper. Gonna put a lid on it? Then you can slap on a Tuned200 Motorsports decal on it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Flat 6 5MT 4.44
142 Posts
I see my money...Also I saw both of those pieces in up close in person. Welds look amazing but they look even better attached to the car.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
sucks it doesnt fit right... ever think about powdercoating/painting the outside black, i think itll look cleaner. looks a little too DIY or unfinished for my liking. also does it fit w/ the stock plastic ram air piece thats missing in the pic?

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Looks great! Keep it comin'! :smile:

Tuned200, does the SPT intake for the SG FXT show the same problems it did for the BL/BP 2.5GT Legacys?

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ MAF "inversions" that could not be accounted for in a generalized manner - a misbehavior that was akin to what was seen with the first-generation Perrin Short-Ram intakes.

This LGT.org thread provides a good summary:

The SPT Intake Thread - LegacyGT.org

AFAIK, the MAF-inversion issue is still something that must be accounted for via specific-to-vehicle tunes, and that even now, so many moons later, SoA/Subaru Fixed Operations/SPT has yet to provide the BL/BP community with the "proof" that they'd said was coming down the pipe, to exonerate themselves. :frown: :mad:

Here is the original Cobb testing of the SPT intake:

Per your request, Extensive Testing of SPT Intake System for LGT - Subaru Legacy Forums

Original Cobb documentation:

Per your request, Extensive Testing of SPT Intake System for the LGT...

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/TestingoftheSPTIntakeSystemfortheLegacyGTv1.03.pdf

Remember that this came *well* in advance of, in terms of a timeline, of Cobb's SF-Intake for the LGT, and also, at the time, it was simply to further provide documentation, in the LGT community (then still with *much* to learn), that the factory airbox is indeed a very, very thoughtfully designed piece.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
BTW, I wanted to come back and clarify. :smile:

This is not to say that the SPT intake is, inherently, a "bad one."

Although the unpredictably unpredictable (from specific-vehicle to specific-vehicle) MAF inversions is definitely the worst thing that you could possibly ask for in an aftermarket intake (factors like intake temperature, etc., is a necessary evil of the entire breed of "Short Ram Intakes" which may make them ill-suited to the stoplight-to-stoplight Grand-Prix or for, say, the dragstrip, but could well be useful for those who either favor highway pulls or tracking the vehicle, where cooling airflow is not a problem, and where the car does not "sit" for long), it should be said that it is not impossible for a good tuner to be able to address this issue.

While it can't necessarily be said that you'll "gain" power from this particular piece, given its shortcomings (over a better-designed intake, that is), it can also be said that you won't necessarily be "leaving something on the dyno," unless your setup is already well-advanced beyond the norm of "Stage II. For example, a local LERSOCer's 18G'ed-'04 WRX wagon literally "lost" some 25+ wHP, on an infamous heartbreaker dyno, no less, because the tuner, a highly skilled and highly regarded one, could not get his Perrin SRI to cooperate...the switch back to the stock airbox "gained" back this "loss." On the other hand, my "Stage II" LGT, returned virtually the same numbers with the factory intake in-place, versus the Perrin SRI. [ Note: I got hooked on the Perrin unit early on, when they were virtually the only game in town for LGT intakes - I love the sound of it...although I'm not leaving any power untapped, I do see higher IATs and a steeper rise-rate when stopped, but my cruise-IAT as well as the decrease-rate are also better than stock (yes, I do have a home-made heat-shield in-place, Frankenstein'ed from an extra K&N Typhoon's). Overall, I'm likely *not* doing myself any favors, but it's not like I street-race, and I'm more in this for the aural guilty-pleasure. ]

The BL/BP SPT LGT intake is likely more than fine with the factory tuning of that vehicle, with or without the rest of the "Power Pack" - but the MAF behavior is definitely worrisome enough that you'll want to compensate for this, if you're already on non-factory mapping.

If there is a problem, at-best, it would manifest as a slight/transient loss in power through that sector of the equation and/or present as a slight rough-spot in driveability. At worst - however rare/unlikely - it's still not completely impossible that it may cause mechanical damage.

And yes, this is all specific to the BL/BP Legacy variant of the SPT SRI. Apparently, the Impreza unit was much different.....

But in terms of cross-adaptation to the SG-Forester XT? I dunno?

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
And coming back to this again - since my slower connection at home would not cooperate with the search engine on LGT.com last night:

SPT Intake development information from Subaru of America - Subaru Legacy Forums

^ That was SoA/SPT/Subaru Fixed Operations' "response" to Cobb's examination and testing of the BL/BP SPT intake.

As you will note, no dyno plots were ever provided, nor even any other quantitative figures.

And also, cross-confirming the differences in the SPT unit from the BL/BP to other models:

SPT Intake - NASIOC

1 - 20 of 39 Posts