Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just switched off engine for several minutes and then unable to start again, power is passed from key block, but engine itself is not started.
Worked fine before.

What sequence is to find cause ?

And also I doubt that it may be related to clutch pedal.

Thank you;

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
890 Posts
* have someone hold the key in the start position and hit the starter with a hammer, hard, usually requires strong long screwdriver to get the force done there. Some people say a broom works. Repeat 3 or 4 times; if it starts you need a new starter.
* join AAA who will come and start your car, open locked car, and tow, etc. Memberships are affordable.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin

No, starter is not run at all, like power is not passed. It is mechanic, I started engine manually via moving on descent street yesterday

UhOh

Yes, I heared that old machines need such trick and now will try for this too. it can be also due to old battery ?
I hope it is not due to some relay, or hidden fuse or some breaked protector;

rarely it had presimptoms: sometimes was started slowly and sometimes was started depending on clutch pedal position

Thank you.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2.5x_sleeper

I just checked and looks like normal - 11.9 - 12

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,871 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2.5x_sleeper

I checked it several dayes ago for interes and it droped from 12.5 to 9V during engine started, AFAIK it is normal when started is use energy.

·
Administrator
40,871 Posts
To verify if your battery is bad... needs replacing, you might jump the battery to see if that makes a difference. If the engine starts normally, then the battery needs to be replaced.

If the above test points to a bad battery, I'd recommend verifying the alternator is charging the battery. If the battery needs charging, the battery voltage, with the engine idling, should be 13V to upper 14V.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
9V during a load (engine being started) is not normal, at all. I would pull the battery and charge it with a known good external charger and retry. You could take the battery to a parts place and have them test it, AFTER charging. Post back. If the battery tests good, but was discharged, your charging system is bad and needs attention.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned battery contacts.

Connect another battery but no result. Left only starter, if there is no another cause;

Btw: I was wrong about voltage drop. I have installed OBD II block which shows voltage and on run mode it shows voltage drop about 11.7 V from 12.2 V;

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Restored !

Starter switch ASSY was breaked, one contact not worked;

Removed, taked in service, changed by working one(not new), installed, works!

Btw: except hill holder, which is cool thing, this vehicle has also protector on clutch pedal - if it is not pressed, engine is not started :up:

Thanks you.

Attachments

Reactions: Kevin

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great! Thanks. :)

One more thing: this switch has 3 connectors, two of them are similar, on image 1 connector is minus, 2 and 3 are plus; during installing I noted that 2 and 3 was in opposite direction, unlike of previous breaked switch, I dont know if it make really matter but AFAIK on these similar connectors are passed currents of diferent amperage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 speed
3 Posts
I disagree with your assessment of Subaru's 'hill holder' feature. After a weak return spring burned-up both front wheel brake assemblies, I disabled this 'feature' entirely. I used two zip ties.
Now it drives like a manual transmission car is supposed to.

Arch

·
Administrator
40,871 Posts
@arhargi owners seem to like that "hill holder"... until it starts causing them grief! At that point, they disable it!

One more thing: this switch has 3 connectors, two of them are similar, on image 1 connector is minus, 2 and 3 are plus; during installing I noted that 2 and 3 was in opposite direction, unlike of previous breaked switch, I dont know if it make really matter but AFAIK on these similar connectors are passed currents of diferent amperage.
Subaru calls the "Switch ASSY"... also called a solenoid switch or honking big relay! The small spade connector is the control & the 2 large lugs is where the +12V cable, directly from the battery, connects. The other lug connects to the starter motor.

How the cables connect to those lugs should not be critical. The length of the cable from the starter motor may dictate how you place the cable. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@arhargi
well, about years ago I had same case when due to braked hill holder car was unable to move, I just disable it and still not restored(no time for it), but I definitely going to restore and use it! I like this function, despite of I learned car driving on mechanik and using such vehicle is not problem for me.

Problem is not in functions, problem is if you don't know what is cause of problem :)

Moreover why I should taking every time thing which have no function ? even if it is half kilo ;)
@2.5x_sleeper
"How the cables connect to those lugs should not be critical", may be yes, if it had sense it would be braked since I use it almost 4-days :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts