Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, apologies if these are old subjects but have joined today specifically to get the answers so would appreciate any help or pointing to older posts if covered before.

2004 UK dealer supplied Forester XT - seems to have poor cold weather issues with battery drain. Drove it 300 miles in 2007 - UK to skiing and on one cold night - all night beeping sound drove mad those sleeping in room near to car park. Phoned dealer - 'low batt' he says but no more issues.

Today after long snowy run last night engine appeared 'dead' on starting. All dash lights ok but no starter motor until I manually switched everything off - fan, radio etc.

I was told UK gets lower amp hour batts as cold weather never 'extreme'!!! - is this so or is it charging fault etc. Is it common - can anyone help please.

Finally great car for traction in snow in the main but could do with winter tyres not Geolanders? - does anyone fit winters? - if so what?

Help appreciated

WH

·
Registered
2004 XT
89 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum,
Not sure about the battery,but I personally think there is no need for winter tyres especially if you kept Geolandars.Unless you regularly drive on steep,country lanes in the snow,there is enough traction from the car already (only my opinion,I'm originally from Poland so we are used to driving in the snow in crappy cars ;)) and you would only really need them for maybe couple of months a year,although the way things are going now with the climate....

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,573 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :)
Invest on some winter tyres and see the difference. My friend with a BMW has no problem at all driving in snow (bear in mind it is only RWD) and neither have I. Geolanders should be OK though if they are an allround tyre but for best traction get some winter ones. I use Nokians WRG2.
I can't even get out of the car park with the 205 that has summer tyres.
Sorry for the rant but I get annoyed hearing (mainly by british) that we don't need winter tyres. I have said it before and I will say it again: winter tyres should be used when the average temperature drops below 7C and are NOT only for snow. Someone even mentioned he heard in the radio the boss of AA mentioning that we don't need winter tyres but chains! Hey ho!

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
yes the Battery thing is right.

compared to the American and Canadians our batteries have MUCH less "cold cranking amps"

2 reasons - it gets seriously cold in northen america / cannada and also our engines are relatively small compared with their V8 lumps!

the batteries in halfords now have Cranking Amps in big bold letters

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,196 Posts
Any original battery dating back to 2004 would be on its last legs by now.

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Hi wh, Depends which Geolanders you have on , they make various types. Just fitted Geolander I/T's to my Forester which are winter rated but not quite all terrain more 50/50 road/offroad. We have had 30" of snow for last fortnight and these are superb compared to the Bridgestone Duellers which were stock fitted and crap in ideal conditions!. Battery wise measure the physical dimensions of your battery and shop around for a higher rated amperehour battery with the same dimensions and terminal posts.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi wh, Depends which Geolanders you have on , they make various types. Just fitted Geolander I/T's to my Forester which are winter rated but not quite all terrain more 50/50 road/offroad. We have had 30" of snow for last fortnight and these are superb compared to the Bridgestone Duellers which were stock fitted and crap in ideal conditions!. Battery wise measure the physical dimensions of your battery and shop around for a higher rated amperehour battery with the same dimensions and terminal posts.
Useful reply G thanks - thanks to others for input it's appreciated

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
If you need a battery you are welcome to use my Halfords Trade Card - they are quality maint free batteries - im guessing you live fairly close to me??

HCB005 is the battery that fits. IIRC it was £99 and with the trade card it came to £44

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,196 Posts

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
13 years is definatley not normal 3-4 years is, which is why no-one offers a longer guarentee than 3 years.

Low battery after a drive has got nothing to do with cold cranking current anyway refering back to original post, also it not cranking after a long run then cranking implies a starter motor solenoid issue, not battery, if the battery was struggling to activate the solenoid it wouldn't have cranked the car at all.

Simon

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,653 Posts
If you need a battery you are welcome to use my Halfords Trade Card - they are quality maint free batteries - im guessing you live fairly close to me??

HCB005 is the battery that fits. IIRC it was £99 and with the trade card it came to £44
Go on then,

How do you go about getting a "Halfruards! Trade Card then ???

Regards

AM

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Easy, a pay slip or similar from an organisation that can be considered to be 'in the trade'.

Issued in store so some are easier than others - if at first you don't succeed go to another!

I have one.

Simon

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
13 years is definatley not normal 3-4 years is, which is why no-one offers a longer guarentee than 3 years.

Simon
bosch batteries now have 5 years warranty which is pretty good.

was wondering if it would ever die, i think i put jump leads on it half a dozen times max!

the only reason i sold the car was because it was getting a little rough around the edges... typical landrover rust spots!

apart from that 130k on the clock, fired up first time and ran sweet.

my VW transporter on the other hand has had 2 batteries in 2 years. and i carry a fully charged battery in the back!

·
Registered
2005 FSTI 'The Limo' Manual
420 Posts
I run geolander A/T's (all terrain) and they have quite a chunky tread compared to others in the geolander range. They do everything I need them to do and coped really well in the snow.

Both my forester and impreza have been a bit slow cranking from cold over the last couple of weeks but I just put it down to the weather. No doubt they will both need changing at some point as both originals on and on 53/04 reg cars.

Halfords trade cards are a must - if your mate happens to work there then they are even easier to get hold of! 5.1 brake fluid is a good one to buy on a trade card - last time I bought some it dropped from around £12 to under a fiver!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
OK, apologies, Bosch appear to offer one, whether of course its a genuine 5 year battery or just one were they charge more to cover the few valid claims (most lose the receipt or sell the car first) I don't know!

Simon

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
26 Posts
Another vote for the Geolander I/T. I have run them for 3 years as a winter tyre, very low rate of wear even in warmer weather and very good in deeper snow.

We have also had 3 foot of snow and living at over a 1000' elevation in the highlands the only way home now is up a field with a 25% gradient, the tyres have'nt let me down yet.

And yes the battery could have had a bit more power, cranking was slow when it got down to -18c

Oh just to mention that I have downsized from my 215/65 r16 summers to 205/70 r15 for the winter the narrower profile really does make a difference

1 - 20 of 22 Posts