Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"UPDATED" UK/EURO VIN, Model Year and "Year of Registration"

Thought this might be useful for the "noobies".............

Because of the way Subaru brings in it new models the “Model Year” (MY) may be different to the year in which the vehicle is "registered".

In general, Subaru’s model year commences part way through the preceding year e.g. from the lists below, MY06 runs from March 05 to end May 06.
Allowing 6-8 weeks for shipping - vehicles arrive in UK/Europe May 05 to July 06.

The most significant Year change relates to the MY01 SF5 where OBD (On Board Diagnostics) requirements meant a change to the engine management system, ignition components, fuel injectors and exhaust system, part way through a model run (coincides with introduction of Bugeye WRX impreza).

Example VINS......................

JF1SF5KD3YGxxxxxx

JF1SG5KD33Gxxxxxx

xxxxxx corresponds to the serial number part of the VIN.

The tenth character denotes the model year as follows..........

W-1998; X-1999; Y-2000; 1-2001; 2-2002; etc. through to 9- 2009 then A-2010; B-2011

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Cheers mate.

On a seperate note, I just realised you're only up the road from me. Would be handy to meet up as you have same wagon as me and the power I am after!!!

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate.

On a seperate note, I just realised you're only up the road from me. Would be handy to meet up as you have same wagon as me and the power I am after!!!
As a start check out my posts and threads, you should find all you need to know, for now :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Don are you sure those are EU MY dates, as it doesn't tally with the opposed forces part intro dates that match MY's. Most EU MY part changes occure on OF in October or November, which would tally with our normal change of MY actually matching calendar dates whilst North America for legacy reasons usually has the next MY available for sale from about the previous August which would mean manufacture from March ish to suite.

Simon

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don are you sure those are EU MY dates, as it doesn't tally with the opposed forces part intro dates that match MY's. Most EU MY part changes occure on OF in October or November, which would tally with our normal change of MY actually matching calendar dates whilst North America for legacy reasons usually has the next MY available for sale from about the previous August which would mean manufacture from March ish to suite.

Simon
Those dates come from the Euro database edition 2 03/2006(which is as late as opposed forces go) and edition3 07/2009
The US database is a separate issue.

Maybe the dates are for the "complete" production run, with JDM starting first and EDM coming on stream later?????

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those dates come from the Euro database edition 2 03/2006(which is as late as opposed forces go) and edition3 07/2009
The US database is a separate issue.

Maybe the dates are for the "complete" production run, with JDM starting first and EDM coming on stream later?????
Should have said "Europe/Rest of World" :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Forester EU version Manual 5
5 Posts
Thanks for this info guys, before this forum i was digging for whole day trying to get solid info on manufacture year
I have 2007 Forester 2.0 116kw ej20 engine.
Doesn anybody have any idea how can i get service manual and parts catalogue for this Forester...tired of searching through USA web, unfirtunatelly i got all possible forester manuals exept for 2.0 version... It has never been manufactured for USA... So i have to search for manual in Europe.... If anybody has an idea, feel free to help

·
Registered
2001 Forester Manual
12 Posts
Cheers for this info, im new (2 days a forester owner) and wanting to OBD it to check it over. Im a little puzzled as to whether I can or not. I have a 2001 'Y' reg, 10th digit of the vin is 1. How do i find out which side of the change over I am.

Cheers Pete

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for this info, im new (2 days a forester owner) and wanting to OBD it to check it over. Im a little puzzled as to whether I can or not. I have a 2001 'Y' reg, 10th digit of the vin is 1. How do i find out which side of the change over I am.

Cheers Pete
The "1" in the VIN signifies you have a MY01 (no ignition leads and centre coil pack on the inlet manifold) so you should be OBDII compliant. :biggrin:

·
Registered
53 XT Manual
26 Posts
Similar story to the chap above only my second fozzy but first turbo, ive gathered mine is an 04 engine, havent a clue what it is though ?

Its in an XT 2.0L dont have a clue what bhp on it is etc or if its a WRX or STi ? how do I find out whats what ?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Similar story to the chap above only my second fozzy but first turbo, ive gathered mine is an 04 engine, havent a clue what it is though ?

Its in an XT 2.0L dont have a clue what bhp on it is etc or if its a WRX or STi ? how do I find out whats what ?
UK MY04 Forester spec

·
Registered
2010 Forester DX Manual
29 Posts
Useful info - thanks.

Im due to pick up my first Forester in early Jan - It was registered in Nov 2010 so I'm thinking it may be a 2011 MY.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XS TD MT6
50 Posts
Been bugged a little bit by what exact model my fozzy is. Registered 6th May 2011 and VIN is JF1SHHLZ3BGxxxxxx. What can you decipher from that?

From what I read/concluded:
-It's an SH
-MY 2011, if that has any relevance to Europe?
-Made in Japan

It's got the facelift grille and blinkers in the mirrors. It's got the air intake of previous models in the hood (did that remain for TD engine versions?). The interesting bit is that it's been registered with CO2 emission of 170g/km, 6.4l/100km, while the facelift engine would be a tad lower at 155g or so and some 6l/100km. The meter stated 5.4l/100km average consumption which strongly points to facelift engine and the car being driven a lot on rural roads, "highway" not "city". 1 previous owner and it didn't have anything funny in the available records - I'd think it's been registered with the data for the old engines in error, which got me scratching my head, apparently it was sold by a regular Subaru dealer so they should know their fozzy facelifts. It's a bit funny because this affects also the annual tax you have to pay for the car.

From what I could gather the facelift came in 2010 (=MY 2011?) and you'd think all the facelift vehicles would come with all the regular upgrades, including the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts