Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X Manual
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm trying to decide whether to do my own timing belt and (or not) waterpump or just pay the garage to do it.

Part of the reason I might not do it is that the only waterpump I can find for the UK model (21111AA3230?) is genuine and costs £150.

The pump looks (from the pictures) like it has one inlet/one outlet facing in opposite directions; is that correct? Any tips regarding UK model waterpump, or if it's even worth replacing?

100k on the clock, 2005 model (facelift). 2nd timing belt change as far as I know which is overdue by years if not mileage.

Any help would be ace!

Adam

·
Registered
2003 X AWP Manual
15 Posts
To be honest if that original oem subaru pump I would just inspect it when belt off and if bearing feels perfect and no sign of leak we wouldn't replace it at 100K.
they can do well over 160K and you likely throwing higher quality part away to bolt on junk .
If do want a pump aisin all we use, cheap european makes waste of time (not many do pump for manual ej204 facelift) .
We USE Dayco belts and ONLY oem idlers and tensioner all made in Japan and source them from ICP .
ICP could do you water pump as well if call them .

·
Registered
2003 X AWP Manual
15 Posts
I see no point changing pumps on 2.0 n/a engines at 100K
just inspect it and if good do a replacement next belt service .
Idlers on other hand always tend be little bit rumbly/loose.
We see these at 150K to 180K on original pumps no issue, oem pump is incredibly high quality, not like euro trash .
Same with rad if condition very good no need replace.
Rads/pumps tend be issue more on the turbo 2.5 from HG issues stressing cooling system, 2.0 n/a can hit 200K with little drama on the whole .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for this! Very, very interesting and useful.

I'm going to order from ICP which I've used a million times for my old Legacy and do it without the water pump.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
Main issue is to use quality parts. NSK, Koyo and NSF are OEM brands for idlers and tensioner. Mitsuboshi timing belts

·
Registered
2003 X AWP Manual
15 Posts
ICP do all the original idlers and tensioner, it that cheap you be mad use anything else .
OEM or dayco belts all we use for run of the mill car subaru servicing and used dayco over a decade without issue and Dayco timing marked identical to OEM .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ICP do all the original idlers and tensioner, it that cheap you be mad use anything else .
OEM or dayco belts all we use for run of the mill car subaru servicing and used dayco over a decade without issue and Dayco timing marked identical to OEM .
I did order that ICP kit in the end (no pump) and then panicked that I should have specified all-*** parts, but on arrival it turned out that the standard belt and pulley ICP kit contains all Japanese parts anyway!

Far more fiddly job than my old Legacy (SOHC), but really not too bad considering that Subaru quoted £1400 for the job, and the lowest indie quote was £440.

:smile2:

Thanks so much for the advice!

Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts