Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok last week I check my oil it was full or a little over, today I go check it and its down 2L (or about 2 quarts for the yanks) I cant figure this out, no leaks, no oil in the coolant, no oil on the block anywere, I haven't drivin it hard at all, I've put 250km in the last week,it is ticking louder now, I did a oil change today, I dont see blue smoke fom the exhaust, and its got 100000km on i, anyone have any ideas? or is there any thead about this

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Are you using synthetic oil?

Also, the first time you checked, was your car up to temp?

just a couple thoughts

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SenorSubie said:
Are you using synthetic oil?

Also, the first time you checked, was your car up to temp?

just a couple thoughts
yes Royal purple 5w 30
car was cold and I checked it 5 or 6 times came up to the empty mark

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Pull the hose off the PCV valve and see if the hose or valve is clogged. If it's clogged, the engine will definitely consume oil from high crankcase pressure.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
My 02 RS would burn somewhere in the neighborhood of 2qt per 2k miles. Sometimes a little more when I drove it hard! I had a leak down, and pressure test to find out why it was burning or loosing so much oil is such a short amount of time. Everything was well with in tolerable limits. We couldn't find out anything. When I polled a bunch of boards I came to two conclusions... One it's a flat four and inherintly burn a bit more oil because of that. Secondly it's worse if you park with the nose of your vehicle pointing down hill. Something about oil getting past seals and pooling in the motor rather than draining back into the pan...
I drove my RS like it was stolen for 100k miles, before it finally blew. Not do to an oil problem mind you.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
We have had my wife's 2003 XS since the middle of November......I switched to Amsoil ASL 5W 30 along with related oil filter......so far about 6,700 kms have been put on the car & funny thing, I usually check the oil in my vehicles every 2 weeks.......I noticed the same thing this morning that the oil level (car on level ground & has been sitting over night) is near the bottom of the dipstick! :(

No coolant that I noticed in the oil when I checked it & no leaks present.....the parking space is dry as a bone (the oil is pretty dirty however, but that is usually the case during the harsh winter months with the salt, dust etc) & all other fluid levels are normal & where they should be.

Is this normal (either for this engine or with Subi's in general)? I'm quite suprised that the car is losing/consuming a very high quality synthetic oil like this (git-r-done, I assume you feel the same way as Royal Purple is very good stuff as well).

Any other advice/suggestions is appreciated. :( The good news is the car is still under it's factory powertrain warranty, but I have a feeling that the dealers will tell me that the car is operating under normal conditions anyway.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
My 2000 Forester S 102,000 Miles consumes ~0.3 quart per a 5,000 mile oci. I use Mobil 1 5 & 10w30 always. Check for underengine wetness (filter leaks, crank seal, pump seal). NO kinked or pluged hoses from the valve covers ie pvc that could cause crankcase pressure increase.

·
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
erhayes said:
Check for underengine wetness (filter leaks, crank seal, pump seal). NO kinked or pluged hoses from the valve covers ie pvc that could cause crankcase pressure increase.
I will get my mechanic to have a look at the vehicle underneith when I take it in for an oil change.......I did a complete & major tune up when we purchased the car (all Subi parts) including the PCV valve.......there is nothing abnormal & the car is running great, including good fuel economy. :(

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Make sure you're using a quality filter as well. Wix and Baldwin have great reputations. I don't like Amsoil/Hastings filters that much anymore- they are very inconsistent and I lost a bunch of oil using an Amsoil filter (SDF-10 or SDF-20, I believe). Baldwin is available in Australia and the US.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I have inconsistent oil burning as well.. sometimes when I change my oil, it'll be below the low level mark..

other times, it'll still be near the top..

I've been told that if I am in the high rpms (sometimes I am) and I let it coast (ie. engine braking) it'll cause a lot of vacuum and the intake will suck the oil from the crankcase and burn it up in the engine...

this winter, I haven't used engine braking that much and so far no low oil level problems..

Time to get a breather filter...

·
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Flyer said:
Make sure you're using a quality filter as well. Wix and Baldwin have great reputations. I don't like Amsoil/Hastings filters that much anymore- they are very inconsistent and I lost a bunch of oil using an Amsoil filter (SDF-10 or SDF-20, I believe). Baldwin is available in Australia and the US.
First I've heard any complaints about the Amsoil filters to be honest. I know they now have a new oil filter on the market to replace the SDF series called EAo. For more info, click the link below.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the made in USA Subaru oil filter and never had a problem in the 2 years I've been using it, as for the PCV it was changed not to long ago and all the hoses are all clear......??? still have no idea whats going on.
my old 2.2L Legacy with 475kKM never lost any oil

·
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
GIT-R-DONE said:
I use the made in USA Subaru oil filter and never had a problem in the 2 years I've been using it, as for the PCV it was changed not to long ago and all the hoses are all clear......??? still have no idea whats going on.
my old 2.2L Legacy with 475kKM never lost any oil
I'm finding it weird too bud. :(

475k on your legacy......original engine & tranny?

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lexusfreak said:
I'm finding it weird too bud. :(

475k on your legacy......original engine & tranny?
yep and CLUTCH

·
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
GIT-R-DONE said:
yep and CLUTCH
That's awesome!

I guess then it's fair to say that our's (92,000 kms) is barely broken in. ;)

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
GIT-R-DONE said:
yep and CLUTCH
You can always pick out the truck drivers from clutch wear results. ;-)
That heavy spring clutch in the big truck makes for easy work when you get back into the car.
The result is smoother clutch action when driving the car.
Impressive numbers indeed.

Now about the oil thing.
I've experienced high oil consumption when consistently using higher RPMs.
I've yet to test the engine brake theory, but it sounds logical.
With a tempered foot I can keep consumption down to under 1qt per 3k miles.
Your problem seems to be borderline extreme.
Certainly keep watching the level; daily if possible.
If no further massive fluctuations occur, I'd chalk it up as a fluke.
If the problem is consistent, I'd start looking for leaks.
Wish I could help you more. Good luck.

·
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Boca_Yid said:
Now about the oil thing.
I've experienced high oil consumption when consistently using higher RPMs.
I've yet to test the engine brake theory, but it sounds logical.
With a tempered foot I can keep consumption down to under 1qt per 3k miles.
Your problem seems to be borderline extreme.
Certainly keep watching the level; daily if possible.
If no further massive fluctuations occur, I'd chalk it up as a fluke.
If the problem is consistent, I'd start looking for leaks.
Wish I could help you more. Good luck.
I had to add 1 litre in almost 5k miles (8,000 kms) which I guess isn't bad.

I'm wondering however if the consumption will be less next time around because this is the first synthetic oil change fron dino oil so I know there was a little 'residual' still in the engine......we shall see. Keep me posted on your situation Git-R-Done. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts