Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

So a little background I guess into my problem.

I live in Hong Kong, before that I have lived over most of the English speaking world and some other places. When I lived in the US I had a 2003 2.0 Forester XS.

I had a hitch installed by UHaul to allow me to carry my mountain bikes on a bike rack.

I have now moved back to Hong Kong and bought a 2004 2.0 Forester XT. I recently had a trip to the US and ordered a Uhaul hitch for my XT, so that I can install a bike rack on the new car, as trails in Hong Kong are hard to get to on public transport.

The Hitch arrived to my hotel in the US and looks in good condition. I take the hitch back to Hong Kong to have my mechanic install it. He follows the instructions on the sheet and I watch him to make sure there are no issues.

We get all the stuff out of the way to install the hitch. We then place the hitch under the car and start screwing the bolts in one side. Here is where we hit a snag the hitch is not wide enough.

We measured the distance between the hitch mounts on the car about 44inches. The bolt holes on the hitch are 43 inches. A wee problem to be sure.

Now this is where I ask for help from the members of the forum.

What is the distance between your hitch mounts on your Forester. I guess relevant answers will come from those with a 2004 XT.

I need to know if the quality control on the hitch from UHaul is off I guess. Or if it is a US versus other country hitch mount issue. i.e. That Foresters in the US are 43 inches and elsewhere they are 44 inches, which I doubt.

Any time or help on this matter would be appreciated as if it is a hitch issue I will take it back to UHaul on my next US trip and get it replaced.

Thank You for your time and input.

Cheers Kev Farrow.

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Hey, I'm from Hong Kong too. Would that because the model they sell in U.S. and the one in Hong Kong different in models?

·
Registered
2004 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So got the new hitch from the US today. Hitch holes measure exactly 111cm.

Looks like UHaul welded the hitch wrong.

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
So got the new hitch from the US today. Hitch holes measure exactly 111cm.

Looks like UHaul welded the hitch wrong.

hey minus273 how did you like your uhaul hitch? would you be nice to post some pics?
thanks !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts