Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, car was driving beautifully today. Washed it, drove it around for a while then took the pups to the park. On the way back home from the park, I noticed an unusually loud drone coming from the intake and down on power. Drove it around a little more and still down on power.

After I pulled over, turned it off and restarted it, it threw up the check engine light, limped to Autozone and it showed the dreaded P0011 and P0021 CEL codes. S**T!

So with the research I've done on this forum, it's either something bad to do with the AVCS, turbo or timing belt jumped. My oil is fine, not low at all. There are no sounds, no rattles or anything, just a louder than normal intake drone. The car idles just fine, no hesitation, just feels like there is no power. Turbo sounds fine when it spools a bit, but I still have the P0011 and P0021 CEL codes.

I've read on a few other threads that the turbo might be bad, which sucks, but if all I need to do is grab a used turbo, that's no big deal. But what ELSE could it possibly be? I'm going to be checking the timing belt and banjo bolts on the AVCS once the engine cools.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
Seeing as you just got a mud bath, I wouldn't be surprised if some had gotten on the belts and caused one to slip. But I could be totally wrong.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking too, but the timing belt is sealed, and when I took off the cover, it's completely clean, and the marks line up perfectly.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I removed the turbo, being that I couldn't find anything else it could be. It seems that there is a bit of side-to-side shaft play, but I'm not sure how much is tolerable, or if it's even normal. I'm taking the turbo down to my local shop tomorrow to have it checked.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
So I removed the turbo, being that I couldn't find anything else it could be. It seems that there is a bit of side-to-side shaft play, but I'm not sure how much is tolerable, or if it's even normal. I'm taking the turbo down to my local shop tomorrow to have it checked.
You know since you have the stock turbo out, why would you want to put a stock turbo back in?:evilatyou:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ I don't. But I was living off credit cards for a few months when I was laid off, and I'm still trying to recover a bit from that, or else I would consider dumping in some STi bits.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Good to hear that everything was clean under the timing cover and the lines matched up. Talk about huge sigh of relief!! Hope you get it sorted soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts