Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had to get my car inspected and oil changed. Took it to pep-boys across the street because they usually do good, honest, work.

Well, failed my inspection, balljoint and front brakes. Fair enough, over 100k on the balljoint and at least 40k on the brakes. It's probably time to get them replaced. They only wanted like 350 for the work so i said whatever do it.

They call me, balljoint was seized on, and they fractured the steering knuckle removing it with a pickle-fork. Well they're going to replace the knuckle for free as soon as they can source a replacement. But what a mess.

Least i'll have brakes and good steering again!

Say it with me, "You can't put a price on safety"

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
And hey, they owned up to the mishap on the steering knuckle so +1 to the shop for that.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,022 Posts
I avoid the Pep-Boys around here like the Plague. You may have better experiences.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
So had to get my car inspected and oil changed. Took it to pep-boys across the street because they usually do good, honest, work.

Well, failed my inspection, balljoint and front brakes. Fair enough, over 100k on the balljoint and at least 40k on the brakes. It's probably time to get them replaced. They only wanted like 350 for the work so i said whatever do it.

They call me, balljoint was seized on, and they fractured the steering knuckle removing it with a pickle-fork. Well they're going to replace the knuckle for free as soon as they can source a replacement. But what a mess.

Least i'll have brakes and good steering again!

Say it with me, "You can't put a price on safety"
I'm surprised they are paying for the knuckle, definitely better than our chain shops around here. Regardless I don't let any of them touch my car. Good to hear there is some honesty in the world still!

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never been steered too wrong by pep boys. Their prices are comparable to most local places and because they're a chain they have some backing to their workmanship warrenty.

And yes, I completely commend them for owning up. And hey new wheel bearing for free!

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still waiting for the car back, called them today and they said it was just "alot of work" to replace the steering knuckle because it was AWD. Went there yesterday to get stuff out of the car and they had it parked in a snowbank.

Assuming the car is actually done tomorrow i think im going to have a few words with the manager when it comes time to settle the bill, four days is too long.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Chain auto service stores are the Devil's spawn. Pep Boyz horror stories are all over the internet. The chain places don't pay particularly well so they aren't hiring automotive geniuses to work there. Plus, if you compare labor rates to a good independent local shop you'll likely find you aren't saving any money.

Good shops can be difficult to find, but there are lots to choose from in every locale.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
18 Posts
YUP, I can just imagine...

I've seen the front ball joints replaced on a few Subaru's. My buddy has his own garage and he does all my work on all my cars. NO - none of my Subaru's have needed anything since they are all new as well as our former Subie cars owned by my wife and I. But I've been down there hanging out when he had some older Subies on the rack. Neat to see them age and still in very good running condition.

What I see is IF they used an airchizle <sp> and pickle-fork as you say they likely screwed up a bit as they reported. The ball joints last very long in a Subie's but when they need changed you need to be smart about it. There can be a bit of damage if some monkey gets under there and just starts hammering around thinking if I just hit it harder it will pop out. Seizing in place is common as the joints last for a long time. Likely they didn't use any penetrating oil and or worked at splitting the A-arm before they began the HAMMERING. I've seen my buddy use some product called "Blast" that he lets wick in and then he uses a slam-hammer and gets them out less any damage as you report. Just goes to show you that those plaques hanging over everyone's tool box and on the wall are as useless as the paint on the floor. Seems everyone is an expert craftsman...NOT.

I hope you get it fixed, good luck. Not nice to have a Subie off the road for mishaps like this.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,122 Posts
What do you expect.. pep boys??? you take it to jiffy lube for oil changes and blinker fluid too?

They say you coming, didn't they.

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you expect.. pep boys??? you take it to jiffy lube for oil changes and blinker fluid too?

They say you coming, didn't they.
No but they'll probably "say" you coming. You all act as if brakes areso difficult to replace.

GMRO is correct I'm sure about the thought process they went through. But I can say as a shade tree mechanic I'd probably make the same mistake.

I've also had local shops rip me off in upwards of 5k before.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
18 Posts
Good luck Terran. I hope you get it back soon and in good condition.

Shame cause the actual ball joint is very inexpensive. I was actually shocked at the LOW price.

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck Terran. I hope you get it back soon and in good condition.

Shame cause the actual ball joint is very inexpensive. I was actually shocked at the LOW price.
Their price for the work was quite competitive, that's why I said go ahead. Too bad they screwed it up.

Also welcome to the forum GRMO!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts