Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
STi axleback is pretty quiet, which is why I "downgraded" to it. The WRX Prodrive I ran before had plenty of rumble, even back when I ran it with the stock downpipe and intermediate pipe.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
exactly. The STI (or any other factory muffler) has too many baffles to let out that nice, deep rumble. Removing the resonator will just add drone and some rasp. You need to change out your muffler to get the full sound change associated with an aftermarket UEL header.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I'm going to look into the mufflers. Another idea... I used to run this on my 900 Turbo. How about a 2.5" axleback with no muffler? Would that be just way too loud? Definitely worth considering. Worked great on the Saab, wasn't too loud, good tone. If I get my boxer rumble that way, it'll save some serious money.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Cool, I'm going to look into the mufflers. Another idea... I used to run this on my 900 Turbo. How about a 2.5" axleback with no muffler? Would that be just way too loud? Definitely worth considering. Worked great on the Saab, wasn't too loud, good tone. If I get my boxer rumble that way, it'll save some serious money.
"Too loud" is subjective. No muffler at all would be too loud to me, but whether or not its too loud for you, only you will know. Definitely will save you a lot of money if you don't mind the sound.

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
its not the muffler...its the headers....

had a set on my sti with a perrin catbackand cobb downpipe. when i put the headers on i lost a LOT of the rumble... put the stock ones on, sound came back. theres a writeup on nasioc ( i know im sorry) somewhere about this.

ps: this was on a turbo motor..

heres the link for the search...http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10460502

sorry to keep editing: search on rs25.com... LOTS of good N/A info there on 2.5s

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
its not the muffler...its the headers....

had a set on my sti with a perrin catbackand cobb downpipe. when i put the headers on i lost a LOT of the rumble... put the stock ones on, sound came back. theres a writeup on nasioc ( i know im sorry) somewhere about this.

ps: this was on a turbo motor..

heres the link for the search...NASIOC

sorry to keep editing: search on rs25.com... LOTS of good N/A info there on 2.5s
link doesn't work.. are you talking about an EL header? because in that case it definitely will kill the rumble.

In the OPs case, he has the right header for the rumble, I just think the muffler section might not be free flowing enough to let the wanted amount of rumble out. For example compare this 2.5 rs w/borla header and cobb cbe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Aj4GR48gE&feature=related

v.s. this one with borla replicas and a stock sti catback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAaBVNsRSg

I know YT videos are not the best for a direct comparison, but you can get an idea of how the header+sti catback sounds a bit raspier, higher pitched, not as rumbly, etc.

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
had a 00 2.5rs... with borla reps and sti catback... didn't per say "rumble" but it did give off a decent note. it did sound a bit deeper with a different mid pipe attached he could try that.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
You could probably run without a muffler, but on a non-turbo car it will be way too loud IMO. As a test, take the axleback off, see how you like it -- it's free, worth a try.

Stan

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was checking out some YouTube clips and I think I may end up with a MagnaFlow muffler. They run in the $60-$85 range, and sound great with the headers I found out. Muffler-less wouldn't work on an n/a car, you're right. That would get a bit obnoxious, especially on my car. Not a fast, sporty Foz. More of the rugged, off-road set up.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered up a MagnaFlow #12226. Only 70 bucks shipped, buy-it-now on eBay. Oval, stainless, and straight through. No baffles or anything. Had it installed this morning, with my old STI tip put back on it, and then I spray-painted the tip with high-temp flat black. The car sounds really great, exactly what I was hoping for. Very rumbly. I'll see if I can post some picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Ordered up a MagnaFlow #12226. Only 70 bucks shipped, buy-it-now on eBay. Oval, stainless, and straight through. No baffles or anything. Had it installed this morning, with my old STI tip put back on it, and then I spray-painted the tip with high-temp flat black. The car sounds really great, exactly what I was hoping for. Very rumbly. I'll see if I can post some picture tomorrow.
Awesome. Who was the seller? Link? Thanks

oh hmm it's 2.5" eh? and basically like no muffler haha :p

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, ALMOST like no muffler haha. It's a great sound, very deep. eBay seller's name is "horsepower1". I would like to include a link to his ebay store but the site was giving me trouble. I was remembering incorrectly about the price, it looks like it was actually 56 bucks plus shipping, which is dirt cheap anyway for what I got. Very pleased. I plan on doing some RoadBlockR sound-deadening stuff that one of our members with his nice white Outback used recently. I want the car to be sort of obnoxious on the outside - not the inside. That's a project for a warmer Spring day though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts