Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No it isn't a rude word, it's a free open-source operating system Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

I've been using it for a few weeks and am well impressed.

Very quick and it doesn't need the dreaded anti-virus.

Max.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
I liked it as well, used it on an old IBM thinkpad laptop, although I never was able to sort out it connecting to the internet, might have to dig it out and have another look

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Been using it for a couple years. As long as you are mainly doing surfing its great. IO think if you are doing a lot of business stuff (Microsoft) you might want to have a duel boot. I don't bc I'm retired.

I finally upgraded to 9.10 a couple weeks ago. Big improvement. As you pointed out Ubuntu/Firefox = no anti-virus programs...for now. That will probably change as more peeps start using it. :(

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
"Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo
332 Posts
I liked it as well, used it on an old IBM thinkpad laptop, although I never was able to sort out it connecting to the internet, might have to dig it out and have another look
Try it again with the latest version.
I installed Xubuntu flavour (less space required) onto an old 570e thinkpad.
the biggest and best thing is thats its FREE.

Ideal for email and general surfing. My thinkpad specs are not that great for super duper graphics.

ubdai

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
its so old that even the battery inside has died, so it cant even rememeber the date

suppose I should replace it

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
"Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
nghhh, is there anyone left on slackware ? RH/Centos or opensolaris ftw...

I've liberated a T1000 for 'home' :tissue: you think 32GB will be enough ?

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
I installed SalixOS today for ****sandgiggles, but after about ten minutes went back to a Slack 13 install (which I am waiting to finish). I honestly did consider opensolaris a week ago.... I am keeping an eye on it ;)

32 GB memory is a bit excessive for home LOL... RHE is the spawn of the devil... though I do fancy a whirl with OpenSUSE

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
I started with Debian, and had a quick dance with Mandrake then moved to SuSE/OpenSuse (around their 6.x release) and haven't looked back since. Currently on 11.2. Good stuff.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
I have a number of customer now using it basically because they got sick of paying massive amounts of money to Microsheeeite ever few years on upgrades. Did an install over christmas, Ubuntu Server and 20 Ubuntu workstations and its working a treat with open office. All their other software is web based so i'm busy going through it now and tidying it up to work properly with firefox as it was originally wrote to work with IE (not by me I hasten to add)

Its amazing how quickly people want to move away from Microsoft when you give them the option of keeping their current machines and addint Ubuntu or spending a small fortune to upgrade to Windows 7! Biggest hurdle for me was staff, who seem to have the attitude of "well windows was better because..... <substitute some stupid comment here>". Each OS has its merits but for a Free OS, Ubuntu is great.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
I'll add one thing. My son is a Computer Engineer (Yes he actually is one). He oversees Software development. He has Ubuntu on his work machine and his 2 personal computers. Doesn't hold any water for anyone else..but it tells me something. Oh yea..he installed it on my machine. Many peeps are afraid or not knowledgeable enough to go to it. I would have been one of them.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Many peeps are afraid or not knowledgeable enough to go to it. I would have been one of them.
thats the irony, its actually easier to install than windows xp. Stick the CD in and boot up off that, it asks you some questions, then click install and off you go. Come back 20 minutes later after having a brew or fitting some mods and its done. Off you go :rock:

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Ubuntu provides a great source of revival for some of my old laptops. The only issues I run into are some drivers (lack thereof) for the integrated stuff. ,

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X
25 Posts
Works fine for me. I have a x64 version of 9.10 running on my T60.

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
Ubuntu provides a great source of revival for some of my old laptops. The only issues I run into are some drivers (lack thereof) for the integrated stuff. ,
I always carry an emergency ubuntu stick around with me just in case, as it has the most up to date kernel and therefore boots and gets on the network usually without incident...

For sure if you have any interest in *nix you are not going to learn a lot from Ubuntu...

G

·
nghhh, is there anyone left on slackware ? RH/Centos or opensolaris ftw...
I prefer my OS to be somewhat stripped-down. I continue to use Slackware on my server (no real reason to change it), but no longer on my desktop. Usually I'm fine with compiling everything manually, but when there's a zillion dependencies (i.e. Kino) or a pain-in-the-rear dependency (like libFOX), the stress isn't worth it, and I want more/better packages.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Windows XP finally crapped the bed on my Asus Eee netbook, so I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and installed it last night. So far, I am thoroughly impressed with the GUI and ease of use. I am far from a Linux power-user, but I was originally introduced to Linux several years ago in the form of SuSe, so I know enough to be dangerous. All in all, this seems to be a fantastic alternative to Windows, and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Been using it for a couple years. As long as you are mainly doing surfing its great. IO think if you are doing a lot of business stuff (Microsoft) you might want to have a duel boot. I don't bc I'm retired.

I finally upgraded to 9.10 a couple weeks ago. Big improvement. As you pointed out Ubuntu/Firefox = no anti-virus programs...for now. That will probably change as more peeps start using it. :(
Even for a business user I don't see much if any advantage to windows these days. When I was in school for IT, most students who knew what they were doing were using linux or mac (alot of people were using a mac laptop and a linux workstation). Even on windows and macs I generally use the non-microsoft office alternatives such as openoffice and abiword.

Always been a fan of alternative OSes, used to run BEos on my main machine during highschool.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Even for a business user I don't see much if any advantage to windows these days. When I was in school for IT, most students who knew what they were doing were using linux
Well..that's why I use it. Not bc I know what I am doing but my son graduated in Computer Engineering in 1998 and he has been using it forever. He works for a large computing/IT company and he says most use it on their machines. Otherwise I would never in a million years use it probably.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,157 Posts
Windows XP finally crapped the bed on my Asus Eee netbook, so I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and installed it last night. So far, I am thoroughly impressed with the GUI and ease of use.
Exactly my situation as of about a year ago. I started by running it from a flash drive, figuring that I'd finally succeed at bringing Windows back up on the eee, but recently I made a full install. It does just what I need when I'm on the road. Open Office does fine with the major Microsoft formats.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts