Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone been using 235/40/18 tyres in the FSTI? What's your experiences with them? Does the ride become very uncomfortable?

The original tyre size is 225/45/18 and with the above the circumference would be reduced by 2.2% i.e. when speedo reads 70 actual speed will be 68.46

I wouldn't mind that for 2 reasons: lower profile would give better steering feel and 235/40/18 tyres are lighter. Only Michelin -which I read somewhere use a 'special' method- have pretty much identical weights for the dimensions below.

I am thinking of getting a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas as they have good reviews and are on offer from camksill and delti at the moment.

Any other tyres worth looking at reasonable prices and being good?
I had the T1R's in my previous Impreza and didn't like them. Too soft and squeaky, they are like bubblegum on track with pieces of rubber coming away from the tyre.

I like how light the PS3 and Cup are but they cost a lot!

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:
225/45/18 = 10.2 kg
235/40/18 = 10.1 kg
235/45/18 = 10.3 kg

Michelin Pilot Sport 3:
235/40/18 = 9.97 kg

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup:
235/40/18 = 9.76 kg

Toyo T1R:
225/45/18 = 10.5 kg
235/40/18 = 10.8 kg
235/45/18 = 12.1 kg

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta:
225/45/18 = 12,07 kg
235/40/18 is 11,76 kg
235/45 /18 = 12,65 kg

Cheers :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have 225/55/17 Vrederstein Sporttrac 2 tyres on the Foz and they are very good although never tested them in anger - they seem to have good grip for a high profile tyre. Don't know if that helps

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only 'worry' -judging from the offers on the Sessanta- is it going to be replaced soon by a new tyre hence the offers? Not that it matters though if it is a good tyre. I only need tyres for the summer and occasional track use as I have winter tyres for the rest of the year.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Can't comment about tyre sizes etc. but in terms of rubber, totally agree re T1-Rs... floppy sidewalls and let go without much warning (something to do with having a different compound on the edges than in the center possibly?).

Goodyear Eagle F1s were great on my WRX as were Bridgestone RE050As.

Further down the budget, I've been very surprised at how good Kumho KU31s are. I picked up a couple of flats on a Saturday a while back and these were the only tyres available in an FXT size in my area. I normally stick to premium brands as noted above but I've been surprised at how close to an Eagle F1 these are - especially as they were only £300 for a full set!

I'm not sure how they'd stand up to track work as the compound seems quite soft but, for the price of Michelins, you can get two sets of Kumhos! ;o)

·
Registered
2006 Forester STi
157 Posts
Hi Fpan

I've just ffitted Sessantas to mine in OEM size having used Michelin in 235/40.Paid £440 fitted probably about half the price of Michelin now.Loved the Pilots ride comfort was no problem,grip was great,they squealed like a pig at The Ring!
I'd deffo recomend the Sessantas.

Pete

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Fpan

I've just ffitted Sessantas to mine in OEM size having used Michelin in 235/40.Paid £440 fitted probably about half the price of Michelin now.Loved the Pilots ride comfort was no problem,grip was great,they squealed like a pig at The Ring!
I'd deffo recomend the Sessantas.

Pete
Thanks Pete.
Where did you get them fitted for £440? That's a very good price.
Camskill is out of stock and delti have the 235/40/18 for £106 and 225/45/18 for £127!
Thinking of going 235/40/18

·
Registered
2007 Sti Forester
38 Posts
Dunlop's are good on 225/45/18
Much better than the potenza's they replace

On the sti5 I have Yokohama Parada's but thats only because I do a lot of Trackdays

(Forester isnt really a trackable car, unless it has serious suspension mods and it would need well in excess of 350bhp to be seriously fun)

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
I'm on 225/45/18 Sessantas from Camskill @ around £107 per corner from memory. Stock comes in goes out very quickly so don't think they are being replaced.

The ride is certainly harder than the Toyo T1Rs - have had to notch back the settings on the Tein EDFC a couple of blips on the everyday ride.

·
Registered
2006 Forester STi
157 Posts
Dunlop's are good on 225/45/18
Much better than the potenza's they replace

On the sti5 I have Yokohama Parada's but thats only because I do a lot of Trackdays

(Forester isnt really a trackable car, unless it has serious suspension mods and it would need well in excess of 350bhp to be seriously fun)

Depends what track you take one on,I've done over 60 laps of The 'Ring in mine,haven't got over 350bhp(about 310bhp) and don't get 'overtaken' by much!
Tyres are very much a personal feeling/choice,but you can't go wrong with Michelin,Vredestein,Pirelli.
I don't like Dunlop or Continental(I put a brand new set of Conti's on for a 'Ring trip,did 23 laps,changed them as soon as I got home,they were totally crap,gave up the ghost about half way round and had worn down to about 3mm!!).

Pete

·
Registered
2007 Sti Forester
38 Posts
I was warned off Continental by the tyre place.. they would have been a slightly cheaper fit option then the Dunlops

The Dunlops on the GTR we pick up tomorrow are £500 each corner ;-)... hmm not too many track days in that car me thinks

Yes I guess you can probably have some fun with 300bhp...

I used to have a lot of fun in a chipped Audi S3 on track. I guess driving a more powerful Subaru there wouldnt be any point in putting a Forester on Track (I assume that yours has to have aftermarket suspension?) - and it was the wifes car.. I get over taken plenty of cars in my Subaru.... but at least not Porsches.. as they dont have the straight line speed (certainly not the GT3/Turbo)

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't imagine a FSTI would be any worse than a newage Impreza. I only had problems with my previous WRX wagon on a tight track with the T1R's as they were too soft and there was a lot of understeer on tight corners. One of the best times with that car was in winter during a wet day with winter tyres but the most fun I have ever had on track was with my previous 205 gti. Nothing compares with driving a light and so responsive/playful car.

·
Registered
2007 Sti Forester
38 Posts
Exactly but unfortunately a 205 GTI these days is one of the slowest cars on the circuit - good fun to drive (I know I had a 180bhp 1.9 GTI).. modified in Morecambe as I recall from LAD motorsport

Issue with the Forester is the ride height

My Subaru weighs 1240kg with low fuel and without me..... so is lighter and quicker than a lot of the newer scoobs and obviously the Forester - I believe the Forester STI weighs 1500kg's approx?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly but unfortunately a 205 GTI these days is one of the slowest cars on the circuit - good fun to drive (I know I had a 180bhp 1.9 GTI).. modified in Morecambe as I recall from LAD motorsport

Issue with the Forester is the ride height

My Subaru weighs 1240kg with low fuel and without me..... so is lighter and quicker than a lot of the newer scoobs and obviously the Forester - I believe the Forester STI weighs 1500kg's approx?
No offence meant but unless it was a Mi16 there is no way a 8V 205 can make 180bhp. A search in 205gtidrivers forum will provide some info about LAD figures.
My 145bhp fast road conversion from Skip Brown cars, SBC suspension and Quaife would be equally fast with 160bhp ones. Of course it is not the fastest car on a track (depends on the track) as you say but it is great fun to drive and I have never driven something so enjoyable and rewarding. If I had kept it I would have fitted throttle bodies and keep enjoying it.
Some people keep modifying them trying to achieve big horsepower but a 205 is not about straight line speed but the bends is where all the fun is :biggrin: (mind you they are not slow but of course don't compare them with a 300+ bhp subaru unless they are modified and stripped)

As NDS says, weight book figures for a FSTI are not much higher than a 06 ISti.

·
Registered
2007 Sti Forester
38 Posts
Your right
Not sure where 180bhp came from - another one of my many cars!

160bhp conversion of the car

Achieved 168bhp at Well Lane Turbo, though they are known to overstate a little

It was great on the roads in Yorkshire... though I had a habit of warping the uprated discs that were supplied by LAD...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts