Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing a bit of mild off roading with the FXT and need to get some tyres. Over the winter, I ran G900s but I need to replace two of them and the other two are down to about 4 to 5mm so I'm debating swapping them out for 215/60/16 Geolandar GO12 AT/S which are not much more for a set of 4 as for 2 G900s.

I've done a couple of dry-ish green lanes with the G900s and they coped quite well but as I plan on doing a few more and maybe some gentle pay and play stuff, I'm wondering if I should go a bit more beefy?

Has anyone tried the AT/S? Is it worth getting AT tyres - there'll probably be some mud involved at some point but I do need to be able to run them on the road as I'll be running them as my winter / cold weather tyres as well most likely. I think the lowest speed rating I can get away with is an H rated tyre.

Thoughts? Opinions? Etc?

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Buy a 90?!!!! Haha! On my Navara I ran General AT2 Grabbers I think. Were good off and on road tyre. Will check tomorrow for yer as not 100%...

·
Registered
2005 FSTI 'The Limo' Manual
420 Posts
I have yoko AT/S on my XT. I fitted them about a week after we bought the car so can't really compare to anything else.

The snow didn't cause them a problem and they are ok on the road for general day to day use, though I suspect the fuel economy would be slightly better with more of a 'road' tyre. For this reason Im thinking of just using them in the winter once I can sort some summer tyres to go on my old impreza 17's.

Done 7k miles on them now and they still look like new so many more happy miles motoring to come.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
I'm a fan off the Yoko's

All done on Yokohama Geolander AT/S's size 225/70 15.

And one of the best tires I've ever run on the road in the rain.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The AT/S is a great compromise between offroad and street performance.
The general grabber AT2 is great if you're going to be on dirt/gravel a lot but not much mud, and less road use (they're also good on snow).

However most good aggressive tread all seasons (especially directional tread) or aggressive snow tires will work great off pavement if you're not doing anything too crazy (and may work better in mud than a true AT tire).

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy a 90?!!!!
I've thought about it but my wife says we don't have enough space to park one ;o) I'm not sure I could live with one day to day anyway and it's probably a bit of over kill for what I have in mind which at most will be as per Frogstar's videos... I only plan on pottering about on the Ridgeway and some of the Byways near me.

Sounds like the AT/S tyres (tires) should fit the bill quite nicely. Been thinking about whether to go for a 215/65/16 or a 215/60/16 size-wise, any thoughts? I don't have a low range box being an XT so would increasing the tyre size raise the gearing too much for off-road?

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Where you planning on getting on? Thame/Postcombe way? That's where I used to start on the crosser as I lived down the road in West Wycombe.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
OEM Yokos suit my S Turbo really well for light off-road use on Salisbury Plain tank track, fields, green lanes etc etc. Good in rain on road too and "reasonable" on the road in the dry, if a bit noisy!

I have the OEM G035s 215/60/16s.

Mike

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where you planning on getting on? Thame/Postcombe way? That's where I used to start on the crosser as I lived down the road in West Wycombe.
Not sure yet but yes, possibly. Then work my way back up towards Wantage... need to dig out an up to date "where you can and where you can't drive" for the Ridgeway but I'd like to do all the drive-able bits. There are quite a few byways around Wantage, Newbury and Didcot/Blewbury too.

OEM Yokos suit my S Turbo really well for light off-road use on Salisbury Plain tank track, fields, green lanes etc etc. Good in rain on road too and "reasonable" on the road in the dry, if a bit noisy!

I have the OEM G035s 215/60/16s.

Mike
Must confess, the G900s we OK on the couple of forays I did when I first bought the FXT. One option is to get a pair of part worns to replace my two that are punctured / below the legal minimum. Part of me wants a nice new shiney set though! :biggrin:

Might measure the tread depth I have left on mine again. From memory, they only had about 4mm left on them - not sure if that would be enough (s)off(t)-road? - and run the Geolandars for a bit.

Salisbury Plain tank tracks sound like fun too - would probably suit the FXT quite well and only just down the A34 from me. Where abouts did you used to go? I wasn't aware that they were open to the public?

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
TBH Gigisy I can't actually tell you as my mates and their trials bikes took me there. well offroad though. I'll try and have a look on googlemaps...

in the meantime, here is some info that might be of interest...

Mike

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,513 Posts
I have a set of Geolandar A/Ts on mine (215/65/16). So far I haven't found anything that can get me stuck (not trying hard enough? haha). I originally got them for a 3200 mile round trip venture to Utah. Ended up in a horrendous blizzard from Kansas City all the way to Wyoming, but they did an amazing job. I'm really surprised at how well they grip the road also. They are a bit noisy, but what isn't on the fozzy? ;) Also, like Frogstar said, these tires are ridiculously good in the wet.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TBH Gigisy I can't actually tell you as my mates and their trials bikes took me there. well offroad though. I'll try and have a look on googlemaps...

in the meantime, here is some info that might be of interest...

Mike
From a quick read of the flyer, it seems that we can use any part that is designated as a public right of way... time for a scout around streetmap.co.uk as they show byways / proper OS maps!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a set of Geolandar A/Ts on mine (215/65/16). So far I haven't found anything that can get me stuck (not trying hard enough? haha). I originally got them for a 3200 mile round trip venture to Utah. Ended up in a horrendous blizzard from Kansas City all the way to Wyoming, but they did an amazing job. I'm really surprised at how well they grip the road also. They are a bit noisy, but what isn't on the fozzy? ;) Also, like Frogstar said, these tires are ridiculously good in the wet.
Seems like AT/S are the way forward. Will check what tread I have left on the G900s and then make a call on whether to buy AT/S now or once I've worn the G900s out.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2005 FSTI 'The Limo' Manual
420 Posts
I bought mine from blackcircles as they were the cheapest supplier at the time - possibly worth a look on their website?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought mine from blackcircles as they were the cheapest supplier at the time - possibly worth a look on their website?
Yes, they do some pretty good deals... currently doing 215/65s for £80ish each - 215/60s are a bit more though.

Checked the tread on my G900s and the two remaining ones only have 4mm left so a full set is called for I think.

If I went for 65 profile, would it be an issue to run a 60 profile on the spare? Would only be for short distances as I have a full set of 17s for the summer.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,489 Posts
OEM Yokos suit my S Turbo really well for light off-road use on Salisbury Plain tank track
That's the next meet right there.:woohoo:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 54 Posts