Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

After experiencing cronic understeer a few times I think it is time to change the tyres on my s/tb. It has Alpha Tornados on the front and Geolanders on the back. Bloody awful tyres all of them (I didn't put them on BTW).

It's been lowered and has KYB adjustable suspension. There is very little roll and the ride is firm but not bone shaking. For this reason I don't want to go to 17" wheels as I feel by reducing the height of the tyre wall the ride will be too firm.

So what to go for? I can't find many companies that do 215/60/16. So far I have found Dunlop SP200 and Falkens. Anything else that I should be considering?

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW Don't really give a monkeys about offroading just want something really grippy :)

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Mark

Have a look at this thread - http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=873

Whilst it refers to 17" wheels, it is equally pertinent to 16" wheels (which I still have too).

225x55x16 fit our S/tbs perfectly - and much greater choice than 215x60s. I'd strongly recommend Falken ZE512s, but would now also consider the Federals that SteveM has just bought. Wonder how he's getting on with them now?

If you're happy to buy online, look at www.camskill.co.uk and www.mytyres.co.uk.

HTH

James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mark,
I have Kuhmo KH11s (215 60 16) on my S Turbo. 46 quid per tyre from www.topgear.co.uk. A massive improvement on the Geos, significantly stiffer sidewalls and ample grip for standard powered Forester. No problems so far but recomending tyres to people is never easy!

Brad

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you buy from one of these online places how do you go about fitting? I doubt many places are happy about fitting tyres they don't sell. Is this ever a problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it can be a problem i was lucky a local garage fitted them. First garage i tried said no and as a result i will never use them again despite my family dealing with them for years. Maybe enquire first if a local garage will fit them. To be honest i didn't think about it, bought the tyres and then panicked a bit when the first garage said no! A well run garage shouldnt have a problem. Business is business.
I paid 10 quid a trye for fitting by the way. You can also order from Topgear over the phone, like i did, if you don't trust the online method!

Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts