Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FOZ XT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Need to change all tyres (5) and have got myself really confused over which tyres are better/most cost effective (subjective I know) for my Forester XT 2006 PPP. I want to stick with the original size of 215/55/R17.

I still have the GeoSquealers on at the mo but am considering the following replacements:

Falken ZE912
Kumho KU31
Toyo CF1

Grateful for all experiences and thoughts.

I have heard that the Falkens tramline a lot but is this the experience of any Forester owners.

Thanks in advance and budget is important so anything over £100 is too much.

H

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
What are you particularly looking to achieve by changing the rubber first off....?

Presume you mean £100 per tyre....?

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Hankook S1 EVO, had them in the 205 and are great tyres, almost comparable to Michelin Pilot Sport 2, also good price.
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, have those at the moment in the Forester and am happy so far.

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
It was a different size of tyre 195/80-15's and a different vehicle ( freelander / similar vehicle type ish )but I went from predictable handling on wrangler at's to awful rebound steering over the slightest bump on kumho's....I can only liken the experience to riding a bike with near constant mild tank slapping going on.
Maybe the wider and lower profile may go some way to minimize the effect...
Personally ... kumho.....NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
I have the Kumho KU31s.... there're actually very good - Jules, sounds like you've not tried the KU31s? I normally run Eagle F1s and got the Kumhos as I needed new tyres in a hurry. I'll be honest, I would happily buy them again as £ for £, I don't the the F1s are any better (ku31s are are around £30 a corner cheaper usually).

Have a look on Piston Heads for other very favorable reviews.

I'd be tempted with a 225/50/17 though for a bit sharper turn in - a critisism of the profile more than the tyre.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Ps, don't go for the Toyos... They are ok, but both the Falkens and the Kumhos are better.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Another one to say no about the Toyos, although I don't know about the Toyo CF1, I had T1R's in my previouw WRX wagon and they were crap! Too soft sidewall, squeeked like pigs and overheated on track.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I had T1R's in my previouw WRX wagon and they were crap! Too soft sidewall, squeeked like pigs and overheated on track.
Yup, sounds about right to me... had them on my WRX wagon too and got exactly the same impression of them.

My father-in-law has the CF1s, they're OK but are really just an ordinary run of the mill tyre.

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
I have the Kumho KU31s.... there're actually very good - Jules, sounds like you've not tried the KU31s? I normally run Eagle F1s and got the Kumhos as I needed new tyres in a hurry. I'll be honest, I would happily buy them again as £ for £, I don't the the F1s are any better (ku31s are are around £30 a corner cheaper usually).

Have a look on Piston Heads for other very favorable reviews.

I'd be tempted with a 225/50/17 though for a bit sharper turn in - a critisism of the profile more than the tyre.
Indeed I have not...and as I said....a lower profile wont be as bad....I just found the kumho's to have a very flexible "bouncy" sidewall in comparison to another identical sized tyre...
Given your experience I might not exclude kumho's when I need a new set of boots as you are correct.....they are attractively priced...

G

·
I have just ditched a set of falken 912's as they were worn out, they tramlined like a *****, had questionable grip but very good steering response. I now have a set of Nexen CP641's, since having them I have only done a few hundered miles.
First impressions, soft sidewalls giving a lack of feedback. on the plus sides they were £260 for 4 fitted, are deadly quiet and grip far better than the falkens ever did in the dry and wet, I will stick with these until I wear them out..
Camskill now sell these too..

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Indeed I have not...and as I said....a lower profile wont be as bad....I just found the kumho's to have a very flexible "bouncy" sidewall in comparison to another identical sized tyre...
Given your experience I might not exclude kumho's when I need a new set of boots as you are correct.....they are attractively priced...
195/80/15s wouldn't have been the KU31 model tyre... I'm guessing they would have been off-road/4x4 Kumhos so would have had very soft sidewalls and a tread pattern that probably favoured a field to the road... plus the tyre compound would have been vastly different.

The KU31 is Kumho's directional, high performance tyre. They take a few hundred miles to scrub in but once that's done, the grip levels are very good (dry and wet), ride is OK as is feedback and they let go quite progressively on the limit too. Can't comment on wear yet but they seem to be holding up OK so far - have put about 4-5k miles on them over the last couple of months.

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
195/80/15s wouldn't have been the KU31 model tyre... I'm guessing they would have been off-road/4x4 Kumhos so would have had very soft sidewalls and a tread pattern that probably favoured a field to the road... plus the tyre compound would have been vastly different.

The KU31 is Kumho's directional, high performance tyre. They take a few hundred miles to scrub in but once that's done, the grip levels are very good (dry and wet), ride is OK as is feedback and they let go quite progressively on the limit too. Can't comment on wear yet but they seem to be holding up OK so far - have put about 4-5k miles on them over the last couple of months.
Yes they were a crossover/4x4 tyre ( freelander ) and no they weren't ku31's and yes of course they will be a vastly different compound, I am not trying to compare a 215/55/17 to an off road biased tyre. However, there can be a tendancy for tyre manufacturers to have "running traits" across their range wether it be a crossover/4x4 tyre or a performance road tyre .....in much the same way that walkers crisps add too much flavouring across there range for my personal taste....my point was that kumho's on the whole may have a tendancy to be more flexible in the sidewall than another manufacturers tyre.
This seemed to me to be a relevant observation given that a 55 profile tyre is oriented heavily to road use and road holding, just the sort of conditions where you don't really want floppy sidewalls or elements of perculiar rebound....therefore, the toyo's or falcons might be a better buy.:catfight::icon_biggrin:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I get your point and I'm not having a pop. Kumho have been doing a fair bit of racing and rallying so may have moved their product on a bit. Not having used Kumhos before the ku31s, I can't comment on anything but those.

I'd not heard great things about Kumho before I had them fitted (had a double puncture on a Saturday and had to go with what was in stock) so I was expecting to want/need to swap them out quickly but as said above, I've been very impressed with them (even taking price out of the equation.

In the £100 per corner bracket, they're definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
2006 FOZ XT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your replies.

Yes absolute max is £100 per corner. Hoping to just get a better tyre than the Geo's is the primary reason.

Ok, so its Kumho's or Hankook S1 EVO which I will take a look at. I think the Sessanta's are over and above the budget unfortunately.

or Avon ZV3 (interesting tread pattern) but are Avon still generally regarded (unfairly?) as ditch finders. I am aware that Avon make tyres for high performance saloons but these tend to be car specific with bespoke rubber compounds.

Any more tyres that I should seriously consider please let me know. I've still got a couple of weeks to make the decision.

Thanks again

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I've no experience with Avons personally but I think the general consensus is that they're not great.

Have a look at:

PH Tyre Review A-L

and

PH Tyre Review M-Z

for user reviews.

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Hi Henry

Glad to see you back on here and that you didn't sell the Foz. :smile:

I have the Falken ZE912's and haven't had any tramling problems 215/50/17. Grip is good and I haven't managed to make them squeal yet (I am trying), the same couldn't be said of the old ZE512. For the price I'm happy

Mark

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Hello

Need to change all tyres (5) and have got myself really confused over which tyres are better/most cost effective (subjective I know) for my Forester XT 2006 PPP. I want to stick with the original size of 215/55/R17.

I still have the GeoSquealers on at the mo but am considering the following replacements:

Falken ZE912
Kumho KU31
Toyo CF1

Grateful for all experiences and thoughts.

I have heard that the Falkens tramline a lot but is this the experience of any Forester owners.

Thanks in advance and budget is important so anything over £100 is too much.

H
I think I'm in a minority here, but I'm happy with my Geosquealers. They're fine for everyday use, superb on snow and good for almost 30k miles. I can't seem to find them for much less than £150 each though.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I think I'm in a minority here, but I'm happy with my Geosquealers. They're fine for everyday use, superb on snow and good for almost 30k miles. I can't seem to find them for much less than £150 each though.
The Geolandar is a good tyre for what it is and falsely maligned.

The problem is that it's judged as an on-road summer tyre, which it's not. It's a road-biased tyre that's usable in a wide range of conditions including mild off-roading, sun, rain and light snow. It's also one of the few tyres of it's kind that is V rated. From that perspective, it's actually a very good tyre. But it is a compromise, so it's never going to be great in all those conditions.

Personally, I think it's best trick is in the cold and light snow which is why I keep them on my stock 16" rims for use during the colder months.

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
I'm with Gigsy on this one, I've got a set of KU31 (Ecsta SPT in 225/55/17) and they're really very good for the price. Very sticky and quiet.
I've not noticed much sidewall flex like Jules, although I used to have 16" Kumho KH11's and they did flex a fair bit but were very grippy and wore well.

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,399 Posts
KU31's here too, very pleased and agree wet or dry they are very good. However, they weren't too good in the snow but then that's not what they are made for.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts