1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 2.5 XT 2005

The off side front tyre has worn more on the inside than the others - could this be due to most of the power going through this wheel ?

.......... that's what the main dealer told me when getting it serviced on Friday

A separate problem is the engine management light is staying on and the cruse control light is flashing, I had this once before but I think it reset it's self, I've disconnected battery for a minute without success - anybody had the same?

What did you do to solve it

Steve

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
"most of the power going through this wheel"... seriously?

Most of the time, uneven tyre wear is due to the alignment being out... or if you're more unfortunate, worn suspension components (track control arms, bushes, etc).

First this to do is get your alignment checked and if you can, get a full 4 wheel alignment check done.

Whilst it's being checked, get them to check for any play in the suspension components but given the age of your car, I'd hope that the wear is just down to poor alignment.

As far as the CEL light goes, you really need to read the ECU and find out what the fault code is. If they still stock them, Argos sell an ODBII reader which will read the error code for you and allow you to reset it - the error code will only clear automatically if the ECU does not detect the error condition again after 4 or 5 runs of the engine. Alternatively, you can take it to a garage and have them do it for you.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,569 Posts
Hi All

I have a 2.5 XT 2005

A separate problem is the engine management light is staying on and the cruse control light is flashing, I had this once before but I think it reset it's self, I've disconnected battery for a minute without success - anybody had the same?

What did you do to solve it

Steve
You haven't read this thread then..................... have you a 2005 "REGISTERED" FXT or MY06 FXT ???

You need to check out all the threads it refers to as well.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/warning-lights-help-40798/

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
As Gigsy says check for the fault codes. At a guess, as it is a 2.5, it will be P1410 or P 2441, in which case this may help.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/secondary-air-injection-67750/

Seems to be a very common problem on this model.

When I viewed my Forester at one year old 15k miles the OSF was badly worn on the inside so I asked the dealer to set the track and fit a new tyre. After I had picked the car up I checked the tracking myself and it was set to 8mm toe-in!!!! Reset the toe to zero and thought that was the problem solved. 10k later the inside edge was wearing off again. Checked the camber and found the OS had one degree more negative camber then the NS. Reset the camber to the same as the NS and so far after7k no uneven wear.
. The car was ex-Subaru so I can only assume it was set like that from new.

By my diy camber gauge.

NS tyre wearing equal camber reading -.25 degrees
OS tyre wearing inside edge camber reading -1.25 degrees

Both now set to -.25 degress.

Track set parallel.

Max.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,242 Posts
My original Geolander front tyres covered 28k miles before I noticed that one had worn down on the inside edge and the other on the outside. The tyre shop said the tracking was out and readjusted it.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies chaps - I should of done a search

I have the main dealer coming out to solve the fault problem today - as it appears to have happened during service on Friday - so their problem

I'll also get the tracking checked out

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts