Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forrester automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of oil do I need for a 2012 Forester? The manual says 0W-20 synthetic for a non-turbo; 5W-30 synthetic for a Turbo.....but how do I find out if I have Turbo or not?
I checked my bill of sale and it doesn't say; checked all the leaflets that arrived with the car...nothing. And the owner's manual seems to apply to both!! Help, please!

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What kind of gas does the vehicle require? If it can run 87 octane gas then it is not a turbo. If it requires 93 octane gas then it is a turbo. Or, as previously stated, look for the hood scoop.

But maybe you should go to a Subaru dealer and let them change the oil and have them tell you if it is a turbo or not. You probably shouldn't be attempting any DIY service until you are more familiar with the specifications of the vehicle. Take the safe course of action - you don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Well, does the Forester have a hood scoop and a 2.5 XT badge on the tailgate? If so, it's turbo.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Other visual clues for 2012 Foresters with the turbo engine include the standard spoiler over the rear window, and five-spoke 17" alloy wheels.

The base model 2012 Forester was fitted with 16" wheel (steel standard, alloy optional). The higher trim level non-turbo foresters were fitted with 10-spoke 17" alloy wheels.

The owner's manual includes graphic representation of the non-turbo engine (page 11-7) and the turbo engine (page 11-8).

HTH, and best of luck!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
1,359 Posts
Are you passing everybody up (turbo)....or are they passing you up on the roads (non-turbo).......okay all kidding aside....the 2012 F-XT has a nice hood scoop (opening) in the center of the hood....the normally aspirated Forester doesn't....

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
111 Posts
Decode your VIN?

What kind of oil do I need for a 2012 Forester? The manual says 0W-20 synthetic for a non-turbo; 5W-30 synthetic for a Turbo.....but how do I find out if I have Turbo or not?
I checked my bill of sale and it doesn't say; checked all the leaflets that arrived with the car...nothing. And the owner's manual seems to apply to both!! Help, please!
Maybe you will get lucky if you use one of the VIN decoders like this one from Joe Spitz on Cars101.com

or this one

You can learn some interesting and sometimes helpful trivia from decoded VINs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts