Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted one of these Foresters ever since my mom had one back in 07. Finally got my own! I looked all over the place in Illinois, and being a United Airlines employee I looked out of state too for a 5 spd. luckily i found one not too far from where I live.

Purchase Date: 11-15-2013

A little background:
My first car was and is a 2001 Impreza RS, which I've inadvertently destroyed being a young and dumb kid =(. I've since swapped the stock N/A 2.5L with a 2.1L stroker. Manley H beams, Wiseco custom stroker pistons coated tops and side skirts by LoKo Coatings. EJ205 heads with Supertech valves, dual valve springs and Ti retainers and a set of plugged Tomei Poncams. Also has a Tomei Arms 7760 turbo, ID1000's, GT Spec UEL (not by choice, they were free) headers also coated in and out by LoKo w/Tial 40mm EWG. HKS DP, Invidia Race midpipe, and Blitz Nur Spec axle back modified to full 3" (was originally 2.5").
besides assembling the valvetrain and shortblock, i did all the work myself, having worked at a Subaru performance shop for about a year here in Chicago. i also did the wiring harness merge myself, which so far hasn't given me any problems:Banane17:
before i started actually swapping the engine, i bought a 1996 Legacy GT wagon as a DD. I worked on a lot of broken Subaru's and unfortunately saw only the bad in owning a performance Suby. So a DD was a must. I paid $600 for the car because the keyway on the front of the crank was sheared off and severely messed up. i had a new block bored .020" over, new pistons and engine bearings installed and swapped it into the leggy at 200,000 miles. did a ton of maintenance to it, and since i dont care to explain the rest of the car, i sold it to a friend to buy the Foz.

so here she is currently (sorry a little dirty):

she's completely base base base model. i was a little upset that it didnt have a sun roof, especially since the dealer advertised that it did but no biggie.
has a scuff, and i think a small dent in the passenger side bottom door:

and also, the center arm rest lock is broken, one of the hinge bolt covers is missing, and the rear cup holders are also broken. so if anyone has these things, please let me know!

my goal for this car is to be somewhat of a low and slow car, and I want to put as much effort into it to making it look nice. something i could bring to a parking lot car meet or even a car show and be proud of. not that im not proud of the GC, but its in pretty bad shape =\

First 2 mods:
Hella's, of course. stock horn doesnt even work...?

Alarm/remote start system

Future plans:

Exterior
30% tints all the way around
Rally Armour UR mudflaps
Sports front bumper conversion
overlay headlight and taillight chrome inner trim with real carbon fiber (experiment)
overlay rear silver trim piece in CF
Fog lights behind Sports grill
Interior
overlay various trim in CF
double din stereo
aftermarket speakers
auto dim rearview mirror
Engine
custom coolant overflow tank
custom power steering reservoir
custom or Subtle Solutions radiator and alternator shrouds
custom intake...? (still not sure how that will work on MAF car)
Brakes
Nissan 2/4 pot conversion
SS brake lines
Suspension
WRX strut housings with Koni inserts
STi Al front control arms
STi rear lateral links
Wheels
not 100% sure yet. i have my eye on a friends Rota Option R's.

if anyone has any experience with the Koni Inserts please chime in. i want to try and maintain as much ride comfort as possible, but i want to be competitive at possible auto x events.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
finished a DIY grounding cable kit the other day. i wanted to get my Hella's installed, but didnt have the wiring or spade connectors to do so.
i used 6 gauge wire, small battery connectors, some mesh sleeve and shrink tubing

these are the connections i made:
battery -> front driver side of manifold
front driver side of mani -> alternator
front pass. side of mani -> pass. side body
rear driver side of mani -> driver side body

didnt have a voltmeter to test for any differences, so im gonna disconnect it later and see if any big difference was made.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks dude!

my buddy gave me an aluminum undertray, BEEFY! i just posted it in the underprotection forum to see if anyone could ID the manufacturer. realized i was trying to put it on backwards last time i tried haha. its got "airtabs" on it, which threw me off.

does anyone have any recommendations for GOOD LED bulbs? i would like to install them all around for directionals, brakes and etc. ive never had any good luck with LED lights. their always that blue tinted LED, i can never find really bright white LED's

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys!

gonna get to work on the Hella install sometime tonight. along with figuring out how to install that Primitive Racing Al undertray my buddy gave to me.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Let me know how it goes and of any tips on the Hella horns. I just ordered some and will basically have no clue how to install em, unless it has great instructions. Also, let me know if you need a special harness to link in with old set. :smile: Or you could just write up a 'How To' with pics. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry, been a little lazy lately.

got the Hella's installed, but i didnt really do a write-up =/

i loved how remote they put these horns. right behind the fog lights.

scratched up the horn mount area to ground the horns and the relay.

the old horn was grounded to the chassis and had a single power wire to a spade connector. used the original spade connector to plug into the relay.

again my over the top wiring

mounted up with stainless steel hardware

@01 forester - there should be write-ups on installing the horns?

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Wow, you did yours really professionally. I see the 2006-2008 SG models have a much different grill setup. Did you take your whole bumper off? I installed mine the past few days and had to mount them differently just to clear my grill. I need to go back and heat shrink a lot of my connectors. If you want to see how I had to mount mine, click my journal below and go to the last couple of pages (14 & 15).

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i took the whole bumper off to make uninstall on the old horns easier, and it gave me a place to mount the relay. i think the older subies have them mounted right behind the grill? this had two, one behind each foglight. kind of annoying, but its all good now.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bent the front passenger control arm the other day Ken Blocking it in an empty parking lot. really wanna get the Aluminum arms, but my friend has a replacement for free, so ya cant beat that.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my failed attempt at carbon fiber overlaying the interior trim turned into plasti-dip. at least i can pull it apart and try again, but since this is the 3rd time i couldnt get the carbon fiber to lay down on the piece, i was too angry to take pictures |=(

and the results of kissing the curb the other day.

at least i got to put these on. a little something i made at work.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

bought these for summer wheels. test fitted them in the dark and tried to take a picture, didnt turn out. but damn! they look awesome on the car!

also got a whole set of Blizzaks for $90 with 10k on em. should last me this season and next

·
Registered
2008 Forester 5 M/T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are Rota Option R's. Discontinued, so im going to have to be vewwwy caweful. They stick out of the fenders about an inch and a half, which I really like. Im goin for tank/battle wagon kinda look, if that makes any sense at all.

Wont be very offroad functional, but since I live just on the outskirts of the city thats not a big concern.

I've been meaning to read through your journal Duderotomy, I love your car. If u haven't noticed yet, im not a super active forum user, but im trying. I would really really like to win COTM just ONE time. Since NASIOC is a little over populated it probably won't happen there, especially with an NA setup.

So im trying to keep up with this journal. Once it starts to warm up, I can hopefully get started on some more interesting projects worth reading about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 41 Posts