Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every once in a while you have to haul something that just won't fit inside the cargo area. My 2010 doesn't have any obvious place to attach a rope or bungee cord to the tail gate to keep it from flopping around while you're driving. Does anybody have a good solution for this? I'm not talking about any cross-country treks here, just a short trip home from the store or the lumber yard. . . .

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
Look under the car and get something long enough to go to the tow/recovery points maybe?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Do the 09+ have a handle on the inside of the hatch? I usually hook a bungie cord to the latch/strike plate and loop through the handle.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The latch/strike plate on the floor is a good spot for one end of a rope or bungee, but there's no protruding handle or other easy attachment point on the underside of the tail gate.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,380 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The latch/strike plate on the floor is a good spot for one end of a rope or bungee, but there's no protruding handle or other easy attachment point on the underside of the tail gate.
So they got rid of the handle on the inside of the door? You better double-check. I didn't realize my 2008 had one.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So they got rid of the handle on the inside of the door? You better double-check. I didn't realize my 2008 had one.
You got me wondering if I was seeing things, or rather not seeing things, so I double checked. No inside handle on my 2010! There's a little pop-off plastic cover in the middle of the hatch liner, but nothing useful to hook onto in there. I don't think Subaru wants us driving around with the hatch open. :icon_sad:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Yup, no more handle, it is just a rectangle you can stick your fingers in to close the door, not a real handle.

You can however gain more cargo room by moving the front passenger seat all the way forward, reclining it and removing the head rest on both front and rear seat allowing the front seat back to sit even farther down, along with folding the rear seat down.

Even in my '08 I can fit a 220 gallon(6') aquarium with the hatch closed if I remove the head rests and lay the front seat all the way down.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
I found it. It is called the "Trunk-Lok Extender," if I remember correctly I get it in a closeout bin at a big box auto store for a few dollars. I have used it a few times and it seems to work great.

One end clicks into the latch on the hatch and the other buckles onttp the loop on the floor.

I hope this helps you out. :rock:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never seen one of those before, Patrikman. It looks like it would do the trick. Have to see if I can track one down. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts