Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,579 Posts
Yes, A pillar was never in play. I really like the hidden scangauge in the small eyeglass compartment. I just am not sure how easy it is to monitor while driving...
IMO anything mounted there should not be viewed while driving. I have my HD Radio display mounted there, which works for me, since I don't need to view it to change stations (presets).

Take a look at my post here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/scanguageii-post-pics-your-install-29729/#post447952 & here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/scanguageii-post-pics-your-install-29729/#post447719

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Bobby, I'm gonna make a mockup and see how it sits in some of those spots.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I only have two gauges in my WRX. Boost and wideband. If I added a third, it would be a knock light.

I want to know that my motor is in a good general state of tune, and that I'm not doing anything that it going to cause it to blow.

Boost and wideband if your car is modded. EGT as a close 3rd.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Toddlamp, you wouldn't be able to see it unless the compartment was open. Check out 2.5 sleeper's links, it is shown there. I think it might be too distracting for me though.
I like the look of mounting it directly over the left most air vent, except then it is not stealth...

·
Administrator
40,579 Posts
Toddlamp, you wouldn't be able to see it unless the compartment was open. Check out 2.5 sleeper's links, it is shown there. I think it might be too distracting for me though.
I like the look of mounting it directly over the left most air vent, except then it is not stealth...
My mounting for the ScanGauge II is a friction or wedge fit, so it takes just seconds to unplug the ScanGauge II & either store it out of sight or take it with you. You really can beat the location for ease of reading the ScanGauge II without diverting your eyes from the road...:)

Bobby...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey Bobby, is that the angle it sits at normally in your pic? That's where I was thinking, just perhaps tilted a bit forward & down. Is the DS tape holding up over time?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XS Ltd
421 Posts
In my N/A Fozzie it would have to be Oil/Coolant Temperature and an Ammeter.

The sudden and unexpected disappearance of a Temperature gauge this year really mystifies me! What were they thinking???

The Ammeter gauge disappeared around 1986 when I drove a Toyota Camry and I raised all kinds of stink about it then. I used a little Philips meter that I could plug into the 12V socket, but it never really worked well. It unfortunately has not made an re-appearance in todays cars.

Geezer

·
Administrator
40,579 Posts
Hey Bobby, is that the angle it sits at normally in your pic? That's where I was thinking, just perhaps tilted a bit forward & down. Is the DS tape holding up over time?
The plasic angle I used can be tilted (bent), before the ScanGauge II is attached, to fit your viewing angle. As the the double sided tape, I got it here The Binding Source 3M authorized distributor of Tape, Adhesives, Abrasives, and Reclosables. & the details of the specific tape is on my post here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/scanguageii-post-pics-your-install-29729/#post447940

I used the same tape to stick on my flag emblem on the rear of my '03 & also the HD Radio display that I mounted in the roof storage cubby. It's about as permanent as you'd want it to be...:)

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
40,579 Posts
In my N/A Fozzie it would have to be Oil/Coolant Temperature and an Ammeter.

The sudden and unexpected disappearance of a Temperature gauge this year really mystifies me! What were they thinking???

The Ammeter gauge disappeared around 1986 when I drove a Toyota Camry and I raised all kinds of stink about it then. I used a little Philips meter that I could plug into the 12V socket, but it never really worked well. It unfortunately has not made an re-appearance in todays cars.

Geezer
I read here on the forum that the light (colors) were preferred over gauges. This would not be my preferrence, but I'd guess the research the factory did must have supported deleting the gauge...

I agree, I'd prefer an ammeter over a voltmeter & I did have one in my '03 for awhile, but I just could't find one that gave me the range I wanted, with an external shunt. Running all the current thru the gauge was not an option, since the heavy wires would make the installation a nightmare!:(

Bobby...

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I think it depends a bit on if you are going to tweak your own maps. Having tuning tool gauges helps for that.

if you don't do your own tuning, I'd go with the gauges which can help to avert potential disasters: Boost/oil pressure/water temp are all on the same level for me. Id get warning-style gauges if possible.

if you are looking for more tuning tools, a wideband/knocklite would be my choice. I'm not even sure why people run EGT gauges anymore; they're don't tell enough info. from a tuning perspective and they don't provide any useful anti-catastrophe data until it's too late.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
The Ammeter gauge disappeared around 1986 when I drove a Toyota Camry and I raised all kinds of stink about it then. I used a little Philips meter that I could plug into the 12V socket, but it never really worked well.
That plug-in meter must have been a voltmeter, not an ammeter. I do miss having a proper selection of gauges. No coolant temp on the new models is going too far. It's dumbing down gone mad. Of course the carmakers will claim some people don't understand it, but taking the gauge away to pander to such people makes it kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy...

-- Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester XS Ltd
421 Posts
That plug-in meter must have been a voltmeter, not an ammeter. I do miss having a proper selection of gauges. No coolant temp on the new models is going too far. It's dumbing down gone mad. Of course the carmakers will claim some people don't understand it, but taking the gauge away to pander to such people makes it kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy...

-- Steve
Right! Just having a senior moment on that one!

I still would like to have an Ammeter that would tell me how much juice my car is pulling at any given moment. The voltage reading is rather useless unless it shows that my system has less than 13 volts and is steadily going down as I am driving (OOPS! Blown Alternator/Voltage Regulator).

My old British cars were all outfitted with Ammeters (even if they were "dark zone" Lucas equipment), and I got used to having them.

Geezer

·
Registered
2009 Forester, auto
57 Posts
For two gauges, boost and EGT.

You might also look here:

McNallyElectronics.com

I have two dual gauges mounted on the steering column on my TDI. Boost in analog and EGT in digital. The other one is Oil pressure in analog and oil temp in digital. The lighting is superb, day or night. No adjustment needed. The other great thing about these gauges is the little button on the front of the gauge. Push it and it will give you the highest reading for both gauges. Nice to see boost and EGT spikes while keeping your eyes on the road.

I also have a ScanII. Good for MPG, Intake Temp., water temp and clearing codes. I have two cables so the gauge travels between two cars.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts