Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 3" dual-tip Whisper for sale locally, curious how it'd fit. Anyone running a dual-tip on a Forester, is it way ugly?

Stan

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
someone a while back had a twin tip borla hush on their FXT and it looked and sounded great. Lemme do a quick search and see if I can find it for ya.
Yeah, I remember that...and, IIRC, someone else had a twin tip perrin exhaust but it was too loud so they took it off (might have been on the other forum site when it first started up).

It was SNOWMAN with the borla: LINKY

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snowman's looks AWESOME. MadDad's tips may be wider though. Let's see what the guy says, I wouldn't mind swinging by to take a look.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 XT Limited 4EAT
414 Posts
I like the twin tips. If I went with the Maddad, I would've gone twin tip.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Alright,

So, I'm a sucker for used WRX-fitment exhausts :icon_razz: I took a chance and picked this thing up for a decent price. It's a full 3" MadDad Whisper catback in very good shape, one of the tips has a dent on the bottom (I don't care about that, can't see it anyway).

I knew I would have fitment issues. I figured if it gets really bad, I can re-sell it, it's a relatively rare exhaust. I test-fitted it using some safety wire. This is with the OEM tow-hitch and KB long hangers.

Fits the bumper design fairly decent:

I really like the dual-tip look:

Clears the OEM hitch without hanging obnoxiously low:

Hangers need to be that much longer -- maybe an inch?

I'm running a catted Cobb DP, so I'd hack off the 2.5" donut flange and have a 3" flange welded instead. The seller said it wasn't too much louder than stock on his STi.

New toy, yay :banana:

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, he likes to "help" when I work on stuff.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
Nice... and you installed your hoitch!!! Nice. Wanna sell your STi muffleR? :)

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We'll see about the STi muffler. If I make this 3" thing work, I'd get a 3" to 2.5" adapter so I can still run some sort of stock muffler, either FXT or STi, for long trips to keep it quiet.

Yeah, the hitch works AWESOME. I towed a Uhaul trailer weighing close to 2,000lbs 450 miles down to SoCal, worked very well.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
Come by this weekend. Let me check out the new exhaust.. Imma put on my hitch this weekend as well.

We'll see about the STi muffler. If I make this 3" thing work, I'd get a 3" to 2.5" adapter so I can still run some sort of stock muffler, either FXT or STi, for long trips to keep it quiet.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We'll see what's going on this weekend, I may swing by. This thing won't be on for a while, I need longer hangers and the downpipe flange re-welded.

What are the longest KB hangers, 15mm? I think I need like 18-20mm hangers.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
Would an 06 STi catback fit our an 08 Foz?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I believe mine is '06 -- they are all the same '04-'07 as far as I know.

Stan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts