Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Congrats on the build, man! I just got done reading it and I'm really glad I noticed the GrimmSpeed intake. I agree that it looks clean, and since I'm in the market for one....good timing. When do you plan on dropping in the new motor?
Jan/Feb timeframe, waiting until after the holidays :)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
New Front Sway Bar (White Line 24mm with Kart Boy Endlinks) installed. Pretty easy install and got me ready for what to expect with the Sterling Rack upgrade. The difference is quite noticeable, the car feels much more balanced and composed. Oddly enough, the ride quality is also much improved (much less NVH) as is the steering response. I'm thinking the old FSB wasn't doing the car any justice and it became more noticeable with the RSB being upgraded last year. This makes the new steering rack even more exciting. I received the rack bushings, but nothing else as the moment. Still trying to score a deal on a new 2004 rack, but they are pricey, so keeping my eyes open.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
262 Posts
I would love to upgrade both sway bars on my XT. Stock power but even so I think I would enjoy the difference! For your rear and front did you upgrade/beef up the mounts or just change out the bars and links?

As far as steering racks you can use any STi from 04-present I think! Unless there is some years that are easier to swap than others (you probably know). My leaks slowly so that’s another upgrade/repair eventually.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
I have the upgraded mounts in the rear from whiteline, but I don't think there are stronger mounts for the front (not sure there is an issue with them, only read about the rear). They only add a few minutes to the install and were relatively cheap, so not a big deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had some questions come up regarding the VTD/Sportshift Wiring, so I wanted to post some additional in formation as it wasn't 100% clear from my previous posts or others on the forum of the exact wiring. Here is the wiring diagram from the baja and we are just looking to reproduce the wiring for the sport shift itself which I've highlighted in red.

View attachment 522392
So Plug B237 is on the shifter itself. Mine came from the junk yard with the pigtail intact, so I simply spliced those wires into some extra wire I had laying around. Pins 3, 4, and 6 can all be tied together and grounded to the chassis somewhere. I used one of the mounting bolts from the shiftier itself without any issues.Pints 1, 2, and 5 need to go to the baja TCU. You'll be looking for plug B54 on the TCU and the pins will be 15, 9, and 3 respectively. I had to get some plugs from iWire to connect to my TCU and just added those on to the wiring.

Honestly, the hardest part of this is that subaru looks at the plus kinda funny for their pinouts in comparison to other wiring diagrams i've used before. My hint is pull the plug for b54 and look at it as a reference. You can clearly see the center plastic tab in the above illustration is offset to the left, so when you are looking at the plug, make sure it looks the same, that will give you the correct orientation for the pin numbers, then just use the same reference for the b237 plug. Also, I believe B54 has a pinlock built into it that you must first release before you can place the new pins in, be careful to not accidentally release other pins while working in there. Overall, pretty easy once you have the above information.
I have an 04 XT 4EAT project I'm just getting started on and the one thing I eventually want to do is covert it to the sport shift that the Baja turbos have. I've spent endless hrs researching making it happen and reading a whole bunch of different answers nothing really solid. Some people are saying all you the VTD w/ case and TCU swap n that's it but no real solid awnsers. Isnt the valve body different between the 2 trannys where the shifter enters that allows you to shift up and down? I feel like you would need the whole transmission from the Baja and the TCU in order to make it work right? If by a miracle all I need to do is the TCU, VTD w/ case and plate around Baja shifter that would be a amazing and a huge savings but it just seems almost to easy and there would be to much difference with the way each shifter is.

Please let me know because I would love to make it happen with the original transmission. Thanks for all your updates and info 👍

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I have an 04 XT 4EAT project I'm just getting started on and the one thing I eventually want to do is covert it to the sport shift that the Baja turbos have. I've spent endless hrs researching making it happen and reading a whole bunch of different answers nothing really solid. Some people are saying all you the VTD w/ case and TCU swap n that's it but no real solid awnsers. Isnt the valve body different between the 2 trannys where the shifter enters that allows you to shift up and down? I feel like you would need the whole transmission from the Baja and the TCU in order to make it work right? If by a miracle all I need to do is the TCU, VTD w/ case and plate around Baja shifter that would be a amazing and a huge savings but it just seems almost to easy and there would be to much difference with the way each shifter is.

Please let me know because I would love to make it happen with the original transmission. Thanks for all your updates and info 👍
All you need is the BAJA TCU and Shifter and then a tail section from a WRX, SAAB 92-x, Baja and you'll be good to go. The tail section on the transmission is pretty simple as is the shifter. You do need to run a few new wires as indicated in my build info for the shifting, but thats it. This sound much more complex and difficult when I first started it, but its really not. Let me know if you have any additional questions or need details as the car isn't that far away from me :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
All you need is the BAJA TCU and Shifter and then a tail section from a WRX, SAAB 92-x, Baja and you'll be good to go. The tail section on the transmission is pretty simple as is the shifter. You do need to run a few new wires as indicated in my build info for the shifting, but thats it. This sound much more complex and difficult when I first started it, but its really not. Let me know if you have any additional questions or need details as the car isn't that far away from me :)

Thanks!
Thank you so much man! That's great to hear, So I will need the entire shifter from the tranny of the Baja along with the plate with the sport shift knotch?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Thank you so much man! That's great to hear, So I will need the entire shifter from the tranny of the Baja along with the plate with the sport shift knotch?
Shift can be found from junkers, i can try to find the threads where I had discussed that if you need it. Looks like this: https://www.subaruforester.org/attachments/2005-baja-sportshift-jpg.202817/ when I bought mine, it had everything including the clipped off harnesses from the car that I then used to wire up the sportshift to the baja TCU. I cannot speak to the quality, but there is actually one on ebay at the moment: Shifter Shifter BAJA 2005 Transmission Shift Assembly 1011533 | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shift can be found from junkers, i can try to find the threads where I had discussed that if you need it. Looks like this: https://www.subaruforester.org/attachments/2005-baja-sportshift-jpg.202817/ when I bought mine, it had everything including the clipped off harnesses from the car that I then used to wire up the sportshift to the baja TCU. I cannot speak to the quality, but there is actually one on ebay at the moment: Shifter Shifter BAJA 2005 Transmission Shift Assembly 1011533 | eBay
Thanks man. I found a bunch on car-part.com a couple for just $50! Great website for used parts found out about it when I came across these guys called PNP Auto Group out of PA. This is a strictly Subaru junkyard! They buy salvage Subarus and saw the parts off of them so they even have after slightly used aftermarket parts for a little less and they was some of their parts on that website but if you can't find it on that website and you're looking for it they will probably have it amazing little gem I came across browsing through the web check out there Facebook page they got it all man. Thanks again for everything this is going to make this project so much easier!

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
404 Posts
Thanks man. I found a bunch on car-part.com a couple for just $50! Great website for used parts found out about it when I came across these guys called PNP Auto Group out of PA. This is a strictly Subaru junkyard! They buy salvage Subarus and saw the parts off of them so they even have after slightly used aftermarket parts for a little less and they was some of their parts on that website but if you can't find it on that website and you're looking for it they will probably have it amazing little gem I came across browsing through the web check out there Facebook page they got it all man. Thanks again for everything this is going to make this project so much easier!
PNP auto is Great! Pete is easy to deal with.
My STI Forester was actually his personal car (before I rebuilt it) and it had some really neat parts on it!

Also, I'll have to double check. But I feel like the 04 4eat was missing something, for the sport shift, to work.
The little black solenoid, in the center diff area..(inside the trans)..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please tell me more about this solenoid if you have any more Intel on it. I want to make sure when I go to do it I have everything I need to make it happen w/o any issues. It's not the center differential but right before it in the tranny?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
A few updates since its been a bit.

Firstly, have 2 new gauges installed for Oil Pressure and Trans temp. Mounted these down where the ashtray goes using one of the Subtle solutions gauge pod replacements. Looks nice and is very functional. Both gauges are AEM X Series.

I bought a cool 3d printed driver side vent replacement which has the Access Port holder built in. Installed in about 10 minutes and holds the AP much firmer than any other mount I've seen. I like to use the AP, but this is the first quick and easy mount i've had that doesn't frustrate me within a few days of using. I also copied the idea from a few others and wired a switch to my test plug connector so tuning no longer digging under the dash. Good for me as well, as during my last etune one of the ends came off the test connector just from old brittle wire, so this is best to avoid that going forward.

I also finally got my inter cooler sprayer hooked up via a hobbs (boost) switch. Currently set to come on with boost at about 10psi and works great. since its at 10PSI, it rarely turns on unless you get into it and I have a manual switch as well that I can activate if needed. I used all 3 STI nozzles that fit into the grimpseed intercooler mount and used a US Plastics 1gallon tank mounted in the trunk. I should easily be able to go weeks on a gallon unless i'm crazy in boost all the time.

I also installed a few more handling related items, very happy with all 3 thus far. Firstly a new whiteline trunk strut bar really firmed up the rear end, but then I also added the subtle solutions lower trunk brace as well and the rear end is very solid now and rattles are nearly non-existent. about a week later, I installed the subtle solutions front fender braces. All I can say is wow, even without the STI reack, the car is much more.... twitchy in a good way. Its now very obvious the front end is super loose so while i'm not 100% used to them yet, i'm very happy with the results.

Lastly, I finally pulled nearly all of the interior and put in RAAMMat on all inner and outer surfaces, under the rear seats and then stuffed (with polyfiber) and sealed everything I could. The car isn't silent by any means, but the sound difference is pretty amazing compares to without it. I can actually have a conversation at a reasonable volume and even better, the stereo sounds soooo much better. Thats even with installing new speakers which are a bit overspeced for my current deck, so the volume must go up higher to get the same volume levels, but everything just sounds so much better all while getting rid of the wind noise. The last item on my list in this respect is replacing the door/window gustes. I have them in my shop, but need to get my window tint replaced first as its pretty beat up and not as dark as I prefer. Mostly concerned with them beating on the gussets when removing the old tint and installing the new stuff, so i'll reserve that for when they are done.

Lastly, for the shortblock swap, I have everything on hand, but my shop is always busy for shortblock swaps, so i'm #2 on the list at the moment. He said likely a monthish, so looking at sometime in march/april most likely. This is probably good as I just realized my turbo is unhappy and starting to seep oil into the intake tract. A bit frustrating, but is what it is. Just means i won't be able to sell the VF48 for as much as I was hoping.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts