Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
368 Posts
Always some good updates!!!

You keep going like you are, you might want to consider buying a fully built IPT trans! (I just recently pulled mine) 😉

I'm taking my auto back to semi stock-ish power levels.
Replaced with a STI swapped XT and a 99 RS coupe that's 06 WRX swapped.(for right now)

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 4EAT
24 Posts
Hi Tweak,

Your car is such an inspiration. I've read your journal from start to finish! You and Winnerone have given me the idea for installing a baja TCU/Sport shifter!

I've been on the phone with an auto parts dismantler this week about sourcing the TCU/sport shifter, and am pumped to move forward with an install in a few months!

Quick q: Which plugs did you get from iWire to connect the sport shifter to the TCU?

Cheers
Had some questions come up regarding the VTD/Sportshift Wiring, so I wanted to post some additional in formation as it wasn't 100% clear from my previous posts or others on the forum of the exact wiring. Here is the wiring diagram from the baja and we are just looking to reproduce the wiring for the sport shift itself which I've highlighted in red.

View attachment 522392
So Plug B237 is on the shifter itself. Mine came from the junk yard with the pigtail intact, so I simply spliced those wires into some extra wire I had laying around. Pins 3, 4, and 6 can all be tied together and grounded to the chassis somewhere. I used one of the mounting bolts from the shiftier itself without any issues.Pints 1, 2, and 5 need to go to the baja TCU. You'll be looking for plug B54 on the TCU and the pins will be 15, 9, and 3 respectively. I had to get some plugs from iWire to connect to my TCU and just added those on to the wiring.

Honestly, the hardest part of this is that subaru looks at the plus kinda funny for their pinouts in comparison to other wiring diagrams i've used before. My hint is pull the plug for b54 and look at it as a reference. You can clearly see the center plastic tab in the above illustration is offset to the left, so when you are looking at the plug, make sure it looks the same, that will give you the correct orientation for the pin numbers, then just use the same reference for the b237 plug. Also, I believe B54 has a pinlock built into it that you must first release before you can place the new pins in, be careful to not accidentally release other pins while working in there. Overall, pretty easy once you have the above information.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Hi Tweak,

Your car is such an inspiration. I've read your journal from start to finish! You and Winnerone have given me the idea for installing a baja TCU/Sport shifter!

I've been on the phone with an auto parts dismantler this week about sourcing the TCU/sport shifter, and am pumped to move forward with an install in a few months!

Quick q: Which plugs did you get from iWire to connect the sport shifter to the TCU?

Cheers
Thank you very much!

Here is the link to the terminals I got.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Got a bunch of parts recently, nothing super exciting
Always some good updates!!!

You keep going like you are, you might want to consider buying a fully built IPT trans! (I just recently pulled mine) 😉

I'm taking my auto back to semi stock-ish power levels.
Replaced with a STI swapped XT and a 99 RS coupe that's 06 WRX swapped.(for right now)
We'll see for sure. I don't plan to launch or drag my car, just a quick daily and there are quite a few others pushing far more power than i'm planning for daily without issues for years, though a few out there who blew theres up in a few months. Kinda hard without knowing all the details, but we'll see. If it comes down to the transmission failing, I may look into a 6mt swap. It will cost a bit more and is obviously more involved, but the overall gain once you have a built motor is quite substantial.

Also, the current VF48 is a torque monster down low, hoping a bigger turbo can delay that torque spike a bit and ease into the power a bit more elegantly.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
214 Posts
While the engine is out you may want to look into the killer b oil pick up tube as the stock ones fail often. Not 100% but you may need a different oil pan?
Not sure if you’d want an STI oil pump at that point as well?

I have a 4eat too and dream often of doing a manual swap. Even just the five speed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Got a bunch of parts recently, nothing super exciting

We'll see for sure. I don't plan to launch or drag my car, just a quick daily and there are quite a few others pushing far more power than i'm planning for daily without issues for years, though a few out there who blew theres up in a few months. Kinda hard without knowing all the details, but we'll see. If it comes down to the transmission failing, I may look into a 6mt swap. It will cost a bit more and is obviously more involved, but the overall gain once you have a built motor is quite substantial.

Also, the current VF48 is a torque monster down low, hoping a bigger turbo can delay that torque spike a bit and ease into the power a bit more elegantly.
I only ever went to the strip, once.. I'm not a big fan of launching mine either.
I'm more into just doing rolling pulls, when I see open road..

As for the IPT trans.. is for way more than that!
High stall TC, valve body, extra clutch packs, and the VTD center diff.. plus whatever other little porting and touching, John does..
The car seemed faster at 4,600rpms, then at WOT.. (right in the meat of the power)..
You literally couldn't tell the trans was shifting! Soo smooth!!!

I have a VF in my RS.. The torque is fun!
My tuner suggested a meth kit on the VF, instead of the Dom 1.5xtr..
That doesn't get rid of the torque monster feel though.. (which is what I want, in my RS)

VF with meth, 360-380whp
Dom 1.5 xtr on 93, 350-360whp

I already own a meth kit and I like the punchy torque, in the RS.. With that said. I want a Dom 1.5xtr and meth! 450whp... (Weeeeeeeeeeeee)

In my STI swapped XT, I run a Dom 3 at 420whp.. I enjoy the less torquey punch and the mass power..
Was going to use the meth kit on that, but a friend had a rotated kit that was too big for his motor.. Now I'm going rotated over the winter. 😃

As for "you might want a STI oil pump"..
A oem 10mm oil pump is all that's needed.

Lot of ppl go too big with a oil pump.. it pumps too much oil and heats it up.. We don't want burnt oil!
Like going with a radiator that's too big.. too much volume of coolant, doesn't cool..

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
While the engine is out you may want to look into the killer b oil pick up tube as the stock ones fail often. Not 100% but you may need a different oil pan?
Not sure if you’d want an STI oil pump at that point as well?

I have a 4eat too and dream often of doing a manual swap. Even just the five speed.
Got this on my list, will need a new oil pan for the ELH headers from killer B I now have sitting in my garage :)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I only ever went to the strip, once.. I'm not a big fan of launching mine either.
I'm more into just doing rolling pulls, when I see open road..

As for the IPT trans.. is for way more than that!
High stall TC, valve body, extra clutch packs, and the VTD center diff.. plus whatever other little porting and touching, John does..
The car seemed faster at 4,600rpms, then at WOT.. (right in the meat of the power)..
You literally couldn't tell the trans was shifting! Soo smooth!!!

I have a VF in my RS.. The torque is fun!
My tuner suggested a meth kit on the VF, instead of the Dom 1.5xtr..
That doesn't get rid of the torque monster feel though.. (which is what I want, in my RS)

VF with meth, 360-380whp
Dom 1.5 xtr on 93, 350-360whp

I already own a meth kit and I like the punchy torque, in the RS.. With that said. I want a Dom 1.5xtr and meth! 450whp... (Weeeeeeeeeeeee)

In my STI swapped XT, I run a Dom 3 at 420whp.. I enjoy the less torquey punch and the mass power..
Was going to use the meth kit on that, but a friend had a rotated kit that was too big for his motor.. Now I'm going rotated over the winter. 😃

As for "you might want a STI oil pump"..
A oem 10mm oil pump is all that's needed.

Lot of ppl go too big with a oil pump.. it pumps too much oil and heats it up.. We don't want burnt oil!
Like going with a radiator that's too big.. too much volume of coolant, doesn't cool..
I wish someone with an IPT transmission lived close so I could give it a feel. the VTD with manual shift is night and day difference, so its hard to imagine it getting better. High stall is likely going to happen as I have a spare TC laying around from my VTD swap. From what John has said, this will make the biggest difference in the performance and reliability of the transmission. Guess we'll see over the next few months!

Kinda sucks have all these brand new parts sitting in the garage that I cannot use for a while :(

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
2 months since my last update, i'm slackin :p.

Got a ton of parts on hand, waiting until black Friday to grab the block as they tend to go 10%+ off, which is worth it and i'm in no rush at the moment.

I did go back and forth on EWG, I ended up buying a killer B ELH with uppipe for a great deal directly from them (Like $500 off with warranty) but without EWG. I thought that was that until I realized that I could have them upgrade it to an EWG for still less than buying that new, so I still saved the $500, but my headers are back with killer b and my Tial 38mm EWG is on its way. I will be putting a muffler on this thing as I don't want the noise, but hoping the increase in spool and top end is worth it (along with boost control).

Other than that, i've got all the OEM replacement parts, some new sensors, the Turbo, all the oil for breakin, blah blah blah, really just waiting on the block and oil pan/pickup and then I can schedule things and get my breakin going. Likely still on track for early 2020 unless something forces me earlier, but other than eating oil, the car is doing fine.

As for the 4eat, i've had a hard time getting clear answers from anyone as I don't have a dyno of the new build so they are all hesitatnt to talk specs. So i'm going to hold off on transmission stuff until I get it built and tuned. If something comes up, i'll make my decision then, but i'm still in the middle about a built 4eat and a 6mt, both have strengths for my use as a fast daily driver.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would be more then happy to talk specs and the difference between the built 4eat and a 6mt..

From my experiences.. When I went with a FP hta71 and the stock 4eat.. The Dyno was at 375whp and after the 3 pull, my TC was slipping..
So Evans detuned the car to 325whp..

That's when I went full IPT 4eat..

Pro's.. direct replacement, builds boost between shifts, smooth as all get out, clutch-less manual shiftable, great for traffic, back roads, town, "racing", etc..

Cons.. none.. unless you Really want a clutch and to have to shift..

STI 6mt.. Love this, as well! Specially since I got rid of the 04 STI swap and went with a JDM STI Forester swap..
1-4 is like a usdm 07 STI and 5-6 is like a usdm LGT Spec B(Long gears.. 6th doesn't get used much, under 75-80mph.)

Pro's.. STI swap! Ppl think it's awesome! Lol.. All the fun stuff that goes with a clutch..

Cons.. Traffic situation's.. the end cost, hidden cost, and work. (Wiring harness, ECU, immobilizer, ignition, keys, dccd(if you get a trans with dccd), pedal assembly, clutch/flywheel, and some other small stuff)
Any rear end stuff, that is stuck, for changing rear axles, T-bar, etc..

Is owning a STI Forester Worth it? Yessss!!!
Is owning a built 4eat a draw back? Noooo!

STI Forester drives like crap, in the snow.. Specially Compared to the auto with VTD.. (I need to get a motor in my 05 FXT auto, before snow fall).

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I would be more then happy to talk specs and the difference between the built 4eat and a 6mt..

From my experiences.. When I went with a FP hta71 and the stock 4eat.. The Dyno was at 375whp and after the 3 pull, my TC was slipping..

Pro's.. direct replacement, builds boost between shifts, smooth as all get out, clutch-less manual shiftable, great for traffic, back roads, town, "racing", etc..

STI 6mt.. Love this, as well! Specially since I got rid of the 04 STI swap and went with a JDM STI Forester swap..
1-4 is like a usdm 07 STI and 5-6 is like a usdm LGT Spec B(Long gears.. 6th doesn't get used much, under 75-80mph.)

Pro's.. STI swap! Ppl think it's awesome! Lol.. All the fun stuff that goes with a clutch..

Cons.. Traffic situation's.. the end cost, hidden cost, and work. (Wiring harness, ECU, immobilizer, ignition, keys, dccd(if you get a trans with dccd), pedal assembly, clutch/flywheel, and some other small stuff)

STI Forester drives like crap, in the snow.. Specially Compared to the auto with VTD.. (I need to get a motor in my 05 FXT auto, before snow fall).

with the vtd and manual shift, its the 4eat is great, i'm mostly just concerned with getting my transmission to ipt since i'm cross country and have had some bad experiences with freight shippers in the past. I do have this functional 4eat out of the saab 9-2x that I got for the VTD, but its a 4.11 FD. I was thinking of maybe finding a 4.11 vlsd rear diff or perhaps swapping my ring and pinion from my existing transmission over, but trying to see what would make the most sense.

When you tuned yours on the HTA71, Do you know what the torque was at when you were pushing 375whp? Were you running a tranny cooler and the VTD back then too? I know the TC will help things, but i'm wondering if maybe you weren't slipping the clutch packs or overheating the fluid to cause the TC slip. Maybe a larger cooler or adding a fan to the cooler would improve the power holding ability.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #155

Also, I know this isn't in your other thread, but for your IPT transmission and TC, have you/could you get a quote on shipping that thing? Curious what we'd be looking at to get it to the west coast. feel free to PM me and we can discuss details :).

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't know the WTQ, from the 375whp..
I don't believe I was running the koyorad and tranny cooler, at the time. I know I didn't have the VTD. That came after the IPT trans.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts