Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Is a safe assumption that this radiator/trans cooler setup will work just as well on my 04FXT. They are in my cart but I want to make sure. Any install tips or issues that you ran into during upgrading?
This..

Is in my both of my XT's..

Drops right in!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
Drops right in. Only items that may be of help are a brass tee and barbed couplers for some of the coolant lines as the koyo has a extra nipple on its radiator cap that also needs to go to the coolant overflow tank. Works great and looks great though!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few new updates, we recently got around 2 ft of snow, neither of our XT's had any issues getting around and boy does the VTD make a difference. Not only did I not get stuck (which happened more than once with the MPT due to how low my car is) but I was plowing through the snow and it was great!

So far the etuning for the intercooler and new intake has been slow going due to the weather. but the car already feels better than before. Main difference i'm seeing in the logs is more airflow over the MAF and boost being held at 20PSI a bit longer than before (500 or so more RPM's). I'm sure this will change more as we continue tuning, but no negatives thus far.

The Turbosmart BPV looks great and works relatively well, but the stock green spring is too tough and is causing some minor surge on the turbo. I know at low boost is probably not and issue, but I don't want to take any chances. New blue spring is coming in today and should prevent the surge, but also hold boost better than stock. Also installed the Company 23 BPV studs, this makes it really hard to strip the threads on the intercooler and allows for a more snug bpv fit.

I also got all my parts for my inter cooler sprayer, but again due to weather, this install doesn't make much sense right now (would just be blowing ice lol). I did get the nozzles mounted though!

I also purchased an OEM spoiler for my car. I just cannot stand the look of my car from the back without it, even more so when I remove the roof basket. This will need to be painted, but i'm hoping to have that done int he spring along with possibly my rear bumper as it has some love scuffs from other kind drivers.

Lastly, and I know some people dislike this, but idc :). I bought some CNC'ed XTI badges which i'll be painting to match the OEM STI badge (cherry blossom pink). Here they are as raw aluminum.

Hoping to get it looking like this and then will mount to the grill and rear of the car.

I received my Company 23 studs today. Curious if I should also be concerned with the stock green vs blue spring?? I like the XTi emblems...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coolant additive

Are you guys adding the coolant additive recommended by Subaru when you perform your Koyo/Mishimoto radiator upgrades?? Thanks. I'm trying to make sure that I have all necessary items on hand before scheduling and starting this upgrade project...

Also, preferred coolant.

Which Lucas oil product did you pin down for the use in the transmission?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I received my new rear-wiper arm and trim piece today.

Part Numbers 86532SA060 and 86538TA010 respectively.

Process to install was remove old arm cover, fold back wiper arm back, use a 10mm ratchet to remove the nut, use a trim tool to pull the wiper off the spline. Reverse to install the new wiper arm.

So far, the wipe is much better. The spring in the metal blade provides much more tension in addition to the silicone blade which is a welcome change. I wet the window and gave it a few test wipes. Much improved.

Comparison of the old and new arms.

Looks like my Homelink Mirror and Radio Surround will be in tomorrow and the JDM cooler brackets Friday or Saturday. More updates to come.
What size PIAA for the rear wiper blade?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am really enjoying this thread and what success you are having with your FXT. I haven't been on the site or made any mods in a couple of years. Several things that you have done, I have also completed...not the super high end stuff. You are taking things to a new level and it's pretty exciting for several of us I am sure. I bought used as well with 106k. Probably my fourth eBay auto purchase...this one delivered from PA. The seller was full of crap....I will leave it at that. A lot of work completed by myself, my shop and most recently my dad. New transmission required @ ~117k while on the way, with my parents, from TX to NC!!! $4500!! Dyno and tuned at Cobb Plano. ANYWAYS!! There has been a slight oil leak (not oil cooler gasket) but where the plate meets the block. All parts on hand. Just a big chore. Gearing up for that once all parts and upgrade items are in hand. Figured if I have to drain oil, coolant, replace radiator hoses, etc...might as well upgrade the radiator and the transmission cooler...and the trans temp sensor and several other things that I have seen on several threads. Curious about the IPC trans upgrade and how that process works as well as the etuning. This is my daily driver so... Installed LaminX today...nice. Wished I would have resurfaced before but oh well. Near 1k spent on parts in the last couple of weeks. Significant due to tight budget but excited nonetheless! Keep pressing on...!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Are you guys adding the coolant additive recommended by Subaru when you perform your Koyo/Mishimoto radiator upgrades??

Also, preferred coolant.

Which Lucas oil product did you pin down for the use in the transmission
No additive, in either of my XT's with Koyorad's..
50k miles later, high whp, and driven hard(on my PSM XT)...

I run Prestone 50/50 or mix it myself, with distilled water.

I run a fully built IPT trans, that cost 4,500$.. That's crazy that a stock tranny costs that much! I can't sell my stock tranny for 200$..
John at IPT never said any specific brand, just run synthetic trans fluid.

I fit a 18" wiper blade on my 05, with the rear arm mod. (I believe, it's in my thread)

·
Registered
12 Posts
IPT

I run a fully built IPT trans, that cost 4,500$.. That's crazy that a stock tranny costs that much! I can't sell my stock tranny for 200$..

I fit a 18" wiper blade on my 05, with the rear arm mod. (I believe, it's in my thread)

Good info...Is that the installed cost of the IPT built trans?? I can't tell you how little or many WHP I am running. Kind of sad, I guess. I once had a new 2005 but wanted the used 2004. Now that I have one I want it to last as long as I can make it last. Due to daily driver that would be quite a situation on the trans rebuild... If I had a spare I could deliver or shirt to them....UNSURE. How did that process work in your case? Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I believe 16in is the OEM size, though I accidentally got the 14 and its worked fine, just too small, going to be replacing soon and will be upping the size. Nice to hear an 18 will work :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Are you guys adding the coolant additive recommended by Subaru when you perform your Koyo/Mishimoto radiator upgrades?? Thanks. I'm trying to make sure that I have all necessary items on hand before scheduling and starting this upgrade project...

Also, preferred coolant.

Which Lucas oil product did you pin down for the use in the transmission?
Sorry for the delay, been busy with lots of stuff recently and my car free time has been going towards my etune :)

No additive for me, just OEM coolant. I also didn't end up running any additive, just some good synthetic fluid. I use amsoil, which is expensive, but slightly better than the cheaper synthetics out there. Worth the added cost? Probably not, but its one of the highest rated spec wise that we can run and i've had no issues with it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I am really enjoying this thread and what success you are having with your FXT. I haven't been on the site or made any mods in a couple of years. Several things that you have done, I have also completed...not the super high end stuff. You are taking things to a new level and it's pretty exciting for several of us I am sure. I bought used as well with 106k. Probably my fourth eBay auto purchase...this one delivered from PA. The seller was full of crap....I will leave it at that. A lot of work completed by myself, my shop and most recently my dad. New transmission required @ ~117k while on the way, with my parents, from TX to NC!!! $4500!! Dyno and tuned at Cobb Plano. ANYWAYS!! There has been a slight oil leak (not oil cooler gasket) but where the plate meets the block. All parts on hand. Just a big chore. Gearing up for that once all parts and upgrade items are in hand. Figured if I have to drain oil, coolant, replace radiator hoses, etc...might as well upgrade the radiator and the transmission cooler...and the trans temp sensor and several other things that I have seen on several threads. Curious about the IPC trans upgrade and how that process works as well as the etuning. This is my daily driver so... Installed LaminX today...nice. Wished I would have resurfaced before but oh well. Near 1k spent on parts in the last couple of weeks. Significant due to tight budget but excited nonetheless! Keep pressing on...!!
Thanks!

I got super lucky on this car, only issues have been self inflicted or related to the car just being old, nothing you can do except replace stuff. i'm also interested in the IPT transmission, but man that price!

Let me know what you want to know about etuning, i've done plenty of it now haha. Biggest thing is you need a place to safely do a WOT pull in 2nd or 3rd. Since I can manually select gears now, I do third and the pull usually gets the car going pretty fast, so you need room, not a lot of cars or animals and/or police :) haha.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good info...Is that the installed cost of the IPT built trans?? I can't tell you how little or many WHP I am running. Kind of sad, I guess. I once had a new 2005 but wanted the used 2004. Now that I have one I want it to last as long as I can make it last. Due to daily driver that would be quite a situation on the trans rebuild... If I had a spare I could deliver or shirt to them....UNSURE. How did that process work in your case? Thanks.
That was just the IPT tranny..

IPT takes care of one way shipping..
The spare tranny was actually shipped from CA to IPT on their dime. I then went and picked it up. 3-4hr drive, for me to pick it up.

PM me. I have my old tranny and I'm going to be pulling my IPT trans. So 2 options for ya.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Drain/fill or flush

I am looking at switching over to Amsoil OE Multi-Vehicle Syn. I normally have been doing the drain/fill (x3) and replace filter at last cycle...usually over the course of a day or two. Is it better to flush through the line or can I continue with this method? What are you running in your IPT trans?? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Edit: Nvm, found it!

Hey Tweak,

Do you have the links to the mesh grill installation guides you found on the forums? Would you send them to me?

I like your grill the most of any i've seen yet, and plan on doing the same.

Cheers[

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Edit: Nvm, found it!

Hey Tweak,

Do you have the links to the mesh grill installation guides you found on the forums? Would you send them to me?

I like your grill the most of any i've seen yet, and plan on doing the same.

Cheers[
I used several guides, but would be more than happy to share details if you need them. Best advice is get a second grill from ebay or a junk yard to work with, then you can just swap them once its to your liking. It took me a good week to get it done with all the drying of expoy, filler, paint, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
Had some questions come up regarding the VTD/Sportshift Wiring, so I wanted to post some additional in formation as it wasn't 100% clear from my previous posts or others on the forum of the exact wiring. Here is the wiring diagram from the baja and we are just looking to reproduce the wiring for the sport shift itself which I've highlighted in red.

So Plug B237 is on the shifter itself. Mine came from the junk yard with the pigtail intact, so I simply spliced those wires into some extra wire I had laying around. Pins 3, 4, and 6 can all be tied together and grounded to the chassis somewhere. I used one of the mounting bolts from the shiftier itself without any issues.Pints 1, 2, and 5 need to go to the baja TCU. You'll be looking for plug B54 on the TCU and the pins will be 15, 9, and 3 respectively. I had to get some plugs from iWire to connect to my TCU and just added those on to the wiring.

Honestly, the hardest part of this is that subaru looks at the plus kinda funny for their pinouts in comparison to other wiring diagrams i've used before. My hint is pull the plug for b54 and look at it as a reference. You can clearly see the center plastic tab in the above illustration is offset to the left, so when you are looking at the plug, make sure it looks the same, that will give you the correct orientation for the pin numbers, then just use the same reference for the b237 plug. Also, I believe B54 has a pinlock built into it that you must first release before you can place the new pins in, be careful to not accidentally release other pins while working in there. Overall, pretty easy once you have the above information.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Also, a few updates on my car as its been a while.

So, i've had some minor oil consumption the entire time i've owned the car, Originally thought it was due to leaking gaskets, but with all those fixed and confirmation that its not the turbo, i'm still losing oil and unfortunately it is increasing. No smoke or any drivability issues, just lots of missing oil :(.

That all being said, since this is likely a valve or piston related issue, i've started researching parts for my next upgrades :p. If the engine is coming out, I wanna make sure I get my moneys worth.

Currently looking to do the following:
  • IAG Stage 2 Tuff
  • Killer B EWG ELH Headers
  • Blouch Dom 1.5xtr turbo
  • IPT High Stall TC
Not shooting for any particular HP goals, but I have grown used to the modified VF48 and while it stomps on stage 2 STI's no issue right now (yes, even with the 4eat) It just completely dies in the upper RPM's. Once that Torque starts to die off, shifting doesn't really mean much. The car is fast, don't get me wrong, but I think a fatter powerband (not too much taller though) would benefit this car very much. Additionally, I am hoping the TC will help with 4eats inability to respond quickly to throttle input changes. From everything i've read, this should make the car much more responsive in day to day driving which is really all i'm looking for. I would expect the power to be up in the 300-350 range with all of the above, but we'll see how that all goes. Also going to be putting a muffler on the EWG as I don't want that super loud noise, just looking for ways to keep the engine and turbo running efficiently.

None of this is final. Current plans are to do this sometime early next year so things may change (more so if the engine decides to get worse in the near term). more to come :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
So only changes i've made to the above thus far is removing the EWG. I thought long and hard on that, buy cannot justify the cost to noise. I know I can repipe it, but thats just further added expense. Found an awesome deal on a seconds header from killer B today for the holy header with v-band uppipe. It simply had a flat spot in the casting, but its not present within the header itself and also comes with a full warranty as its directly from killer b. Well worth save over $350 on something with a minor cosmetic issue.

As for my other parts, i'm going to do my best to hold out until black friday. It seems IAG and Blocuh both usually run fairly good deals. Based on past years, it seems I can likely save around $500 if I can hold out that long.

Car is still driving ok, but I am going to try to minimize driving it until I get this all squared away. I work from home, so this will mostly just be painful as I really do enjoy driving my car. Still have the wifes FXT which is still fun to drive, just in a more refined way.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts
About this Discussion
148 Replies
22 Participants
Tweak3D
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing