Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
So no new issues from my last post, car has been a blast to drive, so much so, that I just dumped more money into parts. Getting them installed and etuned this next week. More to come!

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
368 Posts
So no new issues from my last post, car has been a blast to drive, so much so, that I just dumped more money into parts. Getting them installed and etuned this next week. More to come!
Keep going!!! Keep posting!

Next you'll want to buy my IPT built 4eat!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Keep going!!! Keep posting!

Next you'll want to buy my IPT built 4eat!

my wife may not like that :)

ok, new goodies installed, but still need to etune them to get the benefits. Unfortunately, snow just set in today, so it may be a few days on that.

Firstly, removed the cobb SRI and installed the new Grimmspeed SRI. Its much simpler to install, has less parts, much larger filter element, better heat shield and fits the Forster much better than the cobb. Anyone wanna cheap used cobb SRI and after maf tube? :D.

also got a new grimmspeed intercooler!

I also have a turbosmart BPV as my STI one is leaking, but the STI elbow isn't wanting to come off, so I just ordered a replacement and need to wait a few days for it to arrive. I'll post some more impressions once i have some time to take it out.

Thanks @GrimmSpeed for the great intake and intercooler!

·
Registered
2005 Forester
32 Posts
Got the homelink mirror installed today now that the dealer I was working with was able to get me the window adapter needed. Install took about 15 minutes including time to program and calibrate the compass. I used the instructions posted here, as the mirror came with none for the install.

I also found an old green bulb from my center console that had died and stole the bulb condom off of it so now the drink cooler light matches the rest of the interior.

Alright, got my center console armrest extender and while its not as perfect as I had hoped, it cleaned up well enough to work for now. I'm likely going to take the thing to an upholstry shop and get the top redone in some leather with padding, as the stocker is just vinyl on plastic and isn't all that comfy. I'll grab a few photos later as its cold out 😛.

I also received my new key/fob combo:

Part number is 57497AG48A and can be programmed to work just fine on my car. Much better than having a separate key and fob. Range is much improved in my case and I gained the panic button. The trunk unlock doesn't work, but perhaps i'll look into that further in the near future. Still need to get the key cut, but I was able to save quite a bit by moving my transponder chip from my old valet key to the new one. Simply popped out the chip in the new key and slid the new one in.

Great journal man!

The dealer programmed the key fob for you? Or you did it?

The cooler and the double din for the head unit where did you find those ?!

·
Registered
02 WRX
501 Posts
Firstly, removed the cobb SRI and installed the new Grimmspeed SRI. Its much simpler to install, has less parts, much larger filter element, better heat shield and fits the Forster much better than the cobb. Anyone wanna cheap used cobb SRI and after maf tube? :D.
WOOO! Looking good Tweak, we appreciate the kind words and the review. I'm really glad you enjoy that intake for all the reasons you mentioned. I must say that I entirely agree with you ;)

Chase
Engineering

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Great journal man!

The dealer programmed the key fob for you? Or you did it?

The cooler and the double din for the head unit where did you find those ?!
Key I bought on ebay blank, then had a local lock smith cut it for $10. For the fob, I programmed it myself and it took just a few minutes. The only part I had to do special was removing the chip from my old key (I used a valet key) and placed it in the clam shell of the new key. Really easy, just gotta take your time. Worse case, the dealer can activate the existing chip in it, but its much more expensive.

As for the double din and cooler. The double din top can be found quite readily if you look around. I believe this is the correct US part, though i'd have to double check.

https://www.heubergersubaruparts.com/Subaru-Gauge-Pack-Housing-p/h0010sa950ml-215.htm

As for the cooler, I bought that from Japanparts.com. Their website isn't the easiest to navigate, but I can pull up the part numbers if you are interested. I can say its not the cheapest, but it looks the best :). Alternatively, you can put 2 cubby pockets there I believe for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
32 Posts
Key I bought on ebay blank, then had a local lock smith cut it for $10. For the fob, I programmed it myself and it took just a few minutes. The only part I had to do special was removing the chip from my old key (I used a valet key) and placed it in the clam shell of the new key. Really easy, just gotta take your time. Worse case, the dealer can activate the existing chip in it, but its much more expensive.

As for the double din and cooler. The double din top can be found quite readily if you look around. I believe this is the correct US part, though i'd have to double check.

https://www.heubergersubaruparts.com/Subaru-Gauge-Pack-Housing-p/h0010sa950ml-215.htm

As for the cooler, I bought that from Japanparts.com. Their website isn't the easiest to navigate, but I can pull up the part numbers if you are interested. I can say its not the cheapest, but it looks the best :). Alternatively, you can put 2 cubby pockets there I believe for relatively cheap.

DUDE that would be great, I just spent about 30 mins looking on the japan parts site and couldn't find it haha. A part number would be great!

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
DUDE that would be great, I just spent about 30 mins looking on the japan parts site and couldn't find it haha. A part number would be great!

Thanks for the info!

Above is a pic of the part diagram from the correct page on Japanparts. If you search for the numbers corresponding to the right parts, you'll find what you need. The main items here are on right-hand side. For instance, the double cubby is part # 66237C, the front trim piece is 66065U. I'd suggest using the stock radio mounts and drilling them out, the JDM didn't fit properly in my experience and just wasted me money. The top cubby can be sourced in the US pretty easily, if you need help with that I can check around, but I think I got mine on ebay from a US based vendor for fairly cheap.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
A few new updates, we recently got around 2 ft of snow, neither of our XT's had any issues getting around and boy does the VTD make a difference. Not only did I not get stuck (which happened more than once with the MPT due to how low my car is) but I was plowing through the snow and it was great!

So far the etuning for the intercooler and new intake has been slow going due to the weather. but the car already feels better than before. Main difference i'm seeing in the logs is more airflow over the MAF and boost being held at 20PSI a bit longer than before (500 or so more RPM's). I'm sure this will change more as we continue tuning, but no negatives thus far.

The Turbosmart BPV looks great and works relatively well, but the stock green spring is too tough and is causing some minor surge on the turbo. I know at low boost is probably not and issue, but I don't want to take any chances. New blue spring is coming in today and should prevent the surge, but also hold boost better than stock. Also installed the Company 23 BPV studs, this makes it really hard to strip the threads on the intercooler and allows for a more snug bpv fit.

I also got all my parts for my inter cooler sprayer, but again due to weather, this install doesn't make much sense right now (would just be blowing ice lol). I did get the nozzles mounted though!

I also purchased an OEM spoiler for my car. I just cannot stand the look of my car from the back without it, even more so when I remove the roof basket. This will need to be painted, but i'm hoping to have that done int he spring along with possibly my rear bumper as it has some love scuffs from other kind drivers.

Lastly, and I know some people dislike this, but idc :). I bought some CNC'ed XTI badges which i'll be painting to match the OEM STI badge (cherry blossom pink). Here they are as raw aluminum.

Hoping to get it looking like this and then will mount to the grill and rear of the car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As always, some cool stuff going on!!!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
19 Posts
The build looks great. If you are still looking for the electronics solution to display current gear, I can dig up the code I had. You decode 4 signal pins (like dip switches) and translate that to display on a 7 segment.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
The build looks great. If you are still looking for the electronics solution to display current gear, I can dig up the code I had. You decode 4 signal pins (like dip switches) and translate that to display on a 7 segment.
you know, i've kinda just been flying blind and its not terrible, but i'd love to see any solutions you guys have come up with, even if just for the knowledge of whats happening. I hate that stuff getting lost to time as much of the stuff i've had questions on has.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
19 Posts
I used an AVR microprocessor (what Arduino uses) to detect when the four pins gets grounded. You can design a circuit to light up individual lights to do the same. But I am more familiar with software so I went that route. Once I get home and get to my source code I can try to explain it better.

I never got it installed in the car though. Like you, I drive blind and got used to keeping a mental note of which gear I am in. :wink2:

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I used an AVR microprocessor (what Arduino uses) to detect when the four pins gets grounded. You can design a circuit to light up individual lights to do the same. But I am more familiar with software so I went that route. Once I get home and get to my source code I can try to explain it better.

I never got it installed in the car though. Like you, I drive blind and got used to keeping a mental note of which gear I am in. :wink2:
lol, I do like to have it, sometimes i'm not paying attention and have jolted myself with a bad down shift from time to time and I HATE 4th and its pesky lockup of the TC and sometimes forget and shift there while cruising around town and regret it. I do actually already have an arduino i've been playing around with. Will be implementing a smart IC sprayer here shortly. I like the OEM functionality, but I don't wanna think about it, I wanna turn it on and have it do its thing and let me know when it needs more water lol, so I can always use some of the extra pins for this too, then I can tie them together in some way either part of the guage cluster or in a box sitting on the steering column, just gotta play with it and see what works best (or if it doesn't keep doing what i've been doing lol)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
19 Posts
Here is the Arduino source. The gist of how the decoding works is as follows:

Current gear 1 2 3 4 Normal mode
Indicator 1 L H L H H
Indicator 2 H L L H H
Indicator 3 H H H L H

Indicator 4 High (nothing) Low (downshift indicator on)

Indicator 1 = Connector B54 Pin 6
Indicator 2 = Connector B54 Pin 17
Indicator 3 = Connector B54 Pin 5
Indicator 4 = Connector B54 Pin 7

The 4 pins coming out of the Arduino need to be pulled high in the normal state. And when the TCU pulls the signal low, the code will handle then output the digit to a 7-segment LED. Since you are already running an Arduino then you have already figured out how to power the board.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Here is the Arduino source. The gist of how the decoding works is as follows:

Current gear 1 2 3 4 Normal mode
Indicator 1 L H L H H
Indicator 2 H L L H H
Indicator 3 H H H L H

Indicator 4 High (nothing) Low (downshift indicator on)

Indicator 1 = Connector B54 Pin 6
Indicator 2 = Connector B54 Pin 17
Indicator 3 = Connector B54 Pin 5
Indicator 4 = Connector B54 Pin 7

The 4 pins coming out of the Arduino need to be pulled high in the normal state. And when the TCU pulls the signal low, the code will handle then output the digit to a 7-segment LED. Since you are already running an Arduino then you have already figured out how to power the board.

thank you very much, will look into this further, but appreciate what you have put together thus far and will gladly share anything else I add to it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
12 Posts
Is a safe assumption that this radiator/trans cooler setup will work just as well on my 04FXT. They are in my cart but I want to make sure. Any install tips or issues that you ran into during upgrading?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is a safe assumption that this radiator/trans cooler setup will work just as well on my 04FXT. They are in my cart but I want to make sure. Any install tips or issues that you ran into during upgrading?
This..

Is in my both of my XT's..

Drops right in!

·
Registered
2004 FXT
12 Posts
Is the trans cooler install and connections fairly straight forward. I am changing out some coolant hoses and figured since I have to drain the coolant (lower rad hose is one of them) I could go ahead and upgrade with new rad/cooler.

I was able to track it down on another thread. Thanks.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts