Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Question for those playing at home :)

I want to be sure I have everything on hand just in case. I found this here which has a rough outline for what to do, but it has no part numbers. I was looking at Oppsed Forces and found this:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s11/type_7/automatic_transmission/at_transfer_and_extension/illustration_1/

Now, I see the they also recommend the following gaskets:

Rear output shaft seal
Rear transfercase seal

Transfer case seal is easy, but which seal is the Output shaft seal? Is that #10 or the two #12 on opposedforces? Just want to be sure I have this on hand just in case, but want to confirm before I order anything. Anybody have the info on this? Hoping I don't need it, but wanna be safe :)

·
Premium Member
2014 XE Automatic
17 Posts
Koyo Radiator

Tweak3D thanks for the inspirational thread really great info!

Quick question, your Koyo radiator is the manual version my supplier says the auto version has been discontinued, is this why? Or is it just better to run the separate BM trans cooler?

I have been offered a Skunk 2 for an auto but have no idea of there quality. Im very tempted to go your route any advise would much be appreciated Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

Quick question, your Koyo radiator is the manual version my supplier says the auto version has been discontinued, is this why? Or is it just better to run the separate BM trans cooler?

I have been offered a Skunk 2 for an auto but have no idea of there quality. Im very tempted to go your route any advise would much be appreciated Thanks.
I believe the only major difference is the oem design allows the ATF to warm up quicker by utilizing some of the radiator heat and then it functions as a normal cooler once at operating temperature. That being said, the B&M cooler is much larger and has a built in Viscosity based thermostat (the channel vary in size so fluid can only move through the smaller passages as it warms up. This prevent over cooling and so far, I've had no issues. Our local climate can get into the single digits (F) and i've not had any issues with the car, but I also always let it warm up a bit before driving too.

The B&M also has a greater cooling capacity that the stock unit. Heat kills automatic transmissions, even if they are not being pushed, so keeping those temps under control was my primary goal.

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
398 Posts
Question for those playing at home :)

I want to be sure I have everything on hand just in case. I found this here which has a rough outline for what to do, but it has no part numbers. I was looking at Oppsed Forces and found this:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s11/type_7/automatic_transmission/at_transfer_and_extension/illustration_1/

Now, I see the they also recommend the following gaskets:

Rear output shaft seal
Rear transfercase seal

Transfer case seal is easy, but which seal is the Output shaft seal? Is that #10 or the two #12 on opposedforces? Just want to be sure I have this on hand just in case, but want to confirm before I order anything. Anybody have the info on this? Hoping I don't need it, but wanna be safe :)
Get em all! Lol..
I know my transfer case seal is seeping.. and so is my drive shaft seal..

So I'm actually going to order that stuff and take mine apart and redo it with fresh fluid.

I did mine in the car and with the exhaust on.. yikes!!!
Won't do that again!!!
Exhaust will come off, in the future..

Fingers crossed for the CF driveshaft!

Koyo radiator and B&M trans cooler, or Burn your money!!!

I'm running the same setup.. If quality and peace of mind, is something you want.. Spend the pennies!

Quick story.. 26psi and 6,500 rpm... Cracked a cylinder wall and sent all the pressure through my Koyorad...

The outer 3-4" on both sides of my koyo are buldged... Talk about a pressure test!
(It's still in my car!)

Make sure the Koyorad is the one with the inlet and radiator cap, on the passenger side.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
No Dyno yet, all road tuning. Hoping to get on a Dyno soon though, probably for header and ic tuning. If I had to guess 280-300, but I honestly don't know with this upgraded turbo.

I'll let you know how the driveshaft goes, hoping this all goes smoothly!
Something I'll throw out there.. Maybe your next Favorite mod, for tuning!

Cute little green button..

No more crawling under the dash for test plugs!!!!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Something I'll throw out there.. Maybe your next Favorite mod, for tuning!

Cute little green button..

No more crawling under the dash for test plugs!!!!

I've looked at doing this and just haven't gotten around to it, though every time I need to tune, I do regret having not done it previously lol.

Group N Pitch Stop and RaliTek 4EAT Comfort bushing (with new oem mount) arrived. Hoping to tighten up the transmission a bit to give my shifts as best a shot as possible at being quick and smooth with minimal NVH change in the car. This is a fast daily, not looking to shake myself to death :).

The driveshaft did ship yesterday and should be here by thursday of next week. Still waiting on the freight company about the transmission. Really hoping to get that sorted this week as the transmission is from only a few hundred miles away. Once I get it, i'll be doing the disassemly right away so I can inspect and make sure everything will work out for my swap. Getting anxious and excited. I love my car, but the MPT and 4eat leave a lot to be desired, so making big changes to this is huge in my book.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Found a shifter assembly and its on it way. Anyone by chance know where I can source the pins for the OEM harness so I can repin for sportshift?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I believe I found the right pins, awaiting their arrival to confirm. Driveshaft expected on Wednesday, transmission expected tomorrow. On track for install this weekend pending no surprises!

Yesterday I installed my groupn pitch stop. This helped with a lot of my shifting slop, i'm guessing my OEM mount was getting quite worn out. Hoping to tighten things up a smidgen more with this new transmission mount and Rallitek insert. I also built and installed an extension for the ATF. Was finally able to check my ATF level with the intercooler on and the car running with minimal effort. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Transmission arrived and 30 minutes later the VTD has been removed! Hardest part was getting the housing off, if i didn't have to struggle with that, I would have been done in about 10 minutes with a ratchet and my breaker bar. VTD did require a small amount of pressure to remove, but once it popped free it came out without issue.

and the driveshaft just arrived as well!

This thing is super light, all the weight is in the ends as expected. The light weight should make the already easy replacement even easier.

The shifter assembly arrives tomorrow, hoping its in good shape, but i'm not planing on installing it until after the VTD and TCU have already been installed. I'll give it a few days and make sure everything is working as expected. Looking forward for this weekend

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So, the Shifter arrived Saturday. Looks good, but the facia could be in better shape. It'll work for now and i'll search for a replacement later since it doesn't impact functionality.

I have everything else ready to go including my wiring harness for sport shift. I'm doing at least the driveshaft and VTD swap tomorrow (along with TCU) and then i'm thinking of driving it for a few days before swapping the shifter just to make sure all is on the up and up.

I did also install my lockdown bolts today and wow, you guys were right, its more difference than anything else I've felt on the car. It feels so much more planted in the corners. Between this and moving more power to the back, the car is going to have a much sportier feel. Can't wait!

·
Registered
2003 JDM Cross Sports
77 Posts
I've just read this from the beginning - very enjoyable not to mention informative!! Subscribed! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I've just read this from the beginning - very enjoyable not to mention informative!! Subscribed! :thumbsup:
Thank you very much! hopefully i'll have some more interesting stuff in the near future :).

Taking a quick break, but TCU is installed and wired, shifter is installed, vtd is installed, now I just need to get the housing, transmission subframe, and driveshaft back in. I'll post some more details later, but so far things are progressing nicely. More updates tomorrow most likely as I likely won't be back online if I'm able to get the car driving haha :)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Ok, so unfortunately, i'll be finishing up tomorrow. Ended up needing to pull the DP for more room, which took more time and then I still had a hell of a time laying on the floor getting the VTD in and the housing back on. The Housing is now seated and just need all the bolts tightened, reinstall the driveshaft, and reinstall the entire exhaust, so sometime tomorrow it is then.

All that being said, the install is quiet easy and would be cake if you had a lift. Honestly, hardest part is getting all the gears and clutches to line up properly since you cannot see anything and the clutches like falling out of place. More updates tomorrow, at least now i'll get to drive it during the day light and with sportshift all on the first drive.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sport Automatic
11 Posts
I also just read the entire journal, good stuff glad to see your build progress!

-A sad NA driver

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Its alive!

i'll post a bunch of details later as i'm tired and sore, but its done and the car is running great.

I'm so pleased with this mod. Today is crappy weather, torrential downpour most of the day. After taking a nice smooth slow cruise and running through the gears, I stopped at a stop sign with a right turn that I knew I could open up the taps on a bit. Usually, if I gun it at an intersection, i'd burn out, the MPT would kick in, the car would thud really loud and the rear would step in line. NO MORE!, now it just goes like a rocket. I went and ran a few errands with my wife and after a few pulls, I asked her if she could feel a difference and she described the new feeling as terrifying lol!

A few notes I wanted to post while I was thinking about it because no one else has really posted all this or had a hard time explaining, so lets see how I can do.
  • Sportshift is AMAZING! the shifts are very clean and fast and holding gears is great. I can hold both 3 and 4th and it doesn't appear to lock up the TC when doing so, so 4th gear isn't a dog like it always tries to be.
  • With SportShift, the car will auto downshift to 1 when you come to a complete stop.
  • Driving in D is much more plesant than before. I feel like the software on the TCU is much more well suited to my driving style. It seems to handle even day to day driving much better and the shifts just feel firmer and more better :)
Lastly, the CF Driveshaft from the WRX/STI fits perfectly. I bought the DriveShaftShop model SUSH1-C. Acceleration feels really good, but its hard to know if its the VTD or the driveshaft. The car is much more peppy though. Hoping once we get some dry weather I can post some more. A few pictures until I return.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Oh, and I also purchased and installed as a test, a new set of SuperNova V4 LED headlight and foglight bulbs (only headlight installed so far as its super wet out right now. These are quite pricey, but they are supposed to closely replicate the stock beam pattern while increasing brightness (which cannot be done easily with HID). I am very impressed with the quality and brightness of the light and sitting in my driveway looking at my garage, the beam pattern doesn't look very offensive to other drivers, which is a huge win. I've done more than my fair share of projector retrofits, but i'm glad to see we have some other options now as I really hate taking headlights apart lol.

·
Registered
398 Posts
All the work you do is Awesome!

I'm looking forward to pics of your wiring setup for the sport shift.

As well as your impressions of how responsive it shifts and how your liking the VTD. Now that you have had a few days to drive it.

I'm going to have to give these new bulbs a try! No better time then when I noticed a driver headlight out, tonight..
It came back on when I checked the plug, but it's still a good reason to get new bulbs!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
All the work you do is Awesome!

I'm looking forward to pics of your wiring setup for the sport shift.

As well as your impressions of how responsive it shifts and how your liking the VTD. Now that you have had a few days to drive it.

I'm going to have to give these new bulbs a try! No better time then when I noticed a driver headlight out, tonight..
It came back on when I checked the plug, but it's still a good reason to get new bulbs!

So far, i'm loving the change. Much sportier and much more responsive than before. The rear bias is very obvious and the reduction in torque steer a much improved safety feature in my opinion! Sport shift and being able to hold 3 and 4th and actually floor it and not have it downshift greatly improves my driving experience and gives me much more control than before.

A few issues i've come up with thus far:

• I inadvertently sheared one of the extension housing bolts when trying to check tightness (with a torque wrench) for a slight seap/drip i'm getting. Car is still drivable and its a very very slow drip, but I hate leaking fluids, so as soon as the holidays are over i'm gonna bust out my reverse drill bits and square extractors and get that baby outta there. Fortunately I have replacement bolts on hand haha.
  • I'm getting an occasional clunk, but this may be due to additional drive train function in the back, or the lock down bolts, or the new 1 piece driveshaft. Nothing worrying, just something I noted and will be investigating a bit further to make sure all is snugged up.
  • I had 1 time where I was doing a partial throttle pull and my ATF Temp light came on flashing. I pulled over, shut off the car and turned it back on and no code was saved and the light was off. Seems this isn't super uncommon on modded 4eats, buy was my first time seeing it. Car hadn't been ran hard or anything, so not sure if it was a fluke. Will continue monitoring, but the car is and has been running great.
The bulbs are actually really really nice with minimal glare. I've been re-aiming them, but the last few nights have been rainy which makes getting a good aim difficult. One item to mention, due to subarus ground switching, you'll likely need a relay harness for your headlight bulbs, otherwise high beams won't work properly. With that installed, you can also run into issues with the foglights. In my case, With fog lights on, if I hit my high beams, they won't turn off until you shut off the fogs. From what I've read, it sounds like adding a relay harness for the fogs will correct this or you can tap a single wire behind the fuse box and also fix this. I'll do some more digging when I can, but if you don't want to retro projectors, these seem like a good start.

81 - 100 of 171 Posts