Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Premiu
11 Posts
Also, for informative purposes, if you have a 2017+ Forester, this swap WILL NOT work. The wheel design changed for 2017, and with it, all hope of STI goodness.
Any idea why it won't work / what's different?\\

EDIT: I see from the pictures what's different. I've already got one on the way, and with return shipping plus 35% restocking fee, I think a better bet would be to find someone else who wants this. Any takers?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
195 Posts
I have a 2015 Forester Premium with CVT and installed the STI steering wheel part # 34312VA021VH and Lower Cover # 34317VA010. It seems the original installation instructions here were for a swap into an XT and I am guessing the XT has a trim piece on the bottom spoke of the wheel that my non-XT doesn't have. Trying to find the trim piece I need..... is this what I need:

Lower Cover - 2015 Subaru Forester (34342FJ000)

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/subaru/forester/34342fj000/2015-year/2-0xt-premium-trim/2-0l-h4-gas-engine/steering-cat/steering-wheel-and-trim-scat/?part_name=lower-cover
Trying to get the real definitive answer to this from Mike at subaruonlineparts.com. I have a Premium CVT 2.5 and have the vinyl wheel with NO front trim piece. I don't think I have seen a true answer in this forum. Maybe if we get an answer more of us will pull the trigger to upgrade the weak wheel. Is our airbag different? Will a simple trim piece solve this issue?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
24 Posts
Anyone try this with a SubiSpeed STI wheel? I got deep into this job last night and realized the cruise control/MFD switches didn't sit flush enough to screw into place. Looks like I'm returning the wheel and back cover since this no longer seems worth it. Maybe the fitment is more specific on the wheels, hmmm.

What does a man have to do to get away from a damn leather wheel wrapped in death and animal guts, lol synthetic or not.

(EDIT) Ah, crap I see you mention this doesn't work on 2017+, explains why my 2018 wheel swap doesn't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 forester limited cvt?
38 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
195 Posts
Is that how a non- XT ends up on this trade?

Your airbag is similar to mine. I was afraid there wasn’t enough room for it to fit. You would think someone would be able to answer the often asked question as it relates to doing this switch in an N/A 2.5. If nothing else, the “experts” at these parts places selling these mods (who I have asked multiple times, yet never get a definitive answer) could double their volume on this product if we just knew...

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
87 Posts
2017 wheel converted - it is possible but you need everything! wheel airbag controls, paddle shifters the entire thing. I managed to pick up a wrx cvt eyesight wheel and did the swap into a subie speed pk wheel and bought an airbag from a junk yard. It was pricy but is amazing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpXqZrjglsn/?taken-by=fxti17

·
Registered
78 Posts
After reading this thread, I am ever more confused about what additional parts I'll need to make it work.

I have 2018 Forester XT. Got a 2018 STI steering wheel (wheel only, nothing else).

So the FXT buttons and airbag will not fit from what I read above. Do I still need WRX lower back plate as well?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
178 Posts
Sorry not to beat a dead horse but I have a question since I'm considering this mod. Does this mod affect the airbag system in anyway? Has anyone's forester started throwing codes after this swap?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
547 Posts
Look, the airbag can fit just fine. The only thing you'll need to do is trim the lower part so that it fits properly. This is not impossible to do but you should take your time as it will stick out if you mess it up. Now, this is speaking from a 2015 swap but I doubt they changed much later... all the side parts can be unscrewed and remounted to the new steering wheel. The only thing that is changing is the wheel. You can change the airbag as well if you don't want to deal with having to trim the lower part of plastic that meets with the longer Forester airbag. Either airbag will work fine, no codes will be thrown. Just be sure not to let the clockspring spin freely when it's exposed.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
178 Posts
Thanks that's good to hear about the airbags. I read on another thread here that a few members were worried about the airbag system. Hypothetically, if there was something wrong with that system would it show up on my OBD2 reader?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry not to beat a dead horse but I have a question since I'm considering this mod. Does this mod affect the airbag system in anyway? Has anyone's forester started throwing codes after this swap?
No. I ended up doing the A-Z bought every single piece new (except the airbag was used on e bay) for 2018 STI, except the back plastic and the CVT 2018 WRX paddles). I had a bad influence who persuaded me to this result. I like it although it's too expensive $$$$$ 20190303_173523_1559343067664.jpg 20190303_173523_1559343067664.jpg 20190303_173523_1559343067664.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
178 Posts
Here's a picture. I still want to try and heat then bend the trim piece a little bit to make it match the bottom of the airbag a little better... (I also added a little material onto the edge underneath the airbag since the WRX airbag is smaller in size) I also put some black felt in the gap at the bottom of the trim piece and a little on the sides.
Do you have the WRX or STI steering wheel?

161 - 173 of 173 Posts